We don't live in an exciting fantasy world with magic, elven forests...

>we don't live in an exciting fantasy world with magic, elven forests, dwarven underground strongholds and all kinds of ancient mysteries, forgotten gods and arcane secrets
Why is reality so shitty? Why are we born into this dull painful existance instead of some joyful fairytale land?

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Tamriel
>Joyful

Fantasy is chock full of misery for the vast majority of the population. The only difference is YOU get to be the hero who accomplishes everything and is never poor or exploited.

Elves are gay, dwarves suck, Daggerfall was the last good ES game.

>wanting to be killed out of the blue by some supernatural entity you have no comprehension of

>get kidnapped by cultists and tortured to death
>get incinerated with your whole family in dragon attack
>get BTFO by orc raids who rape and murder everything in their path, can't even appease them with land

>magic
You can put thoughts into other people's heads using sounds represented by arcane symbols like the letters in this sentence, you can do this to people on the other side of the planet, you can fly in the sky for hours or walk on the moon, hydrogen bombs can destroy entire cities in an instant, and all manner of elaborate computation and task processing can be accomplished through the knowledge of abstract programming languages. There's plenty of magic, you just don't appreciate it.
>elves
They exist, you need to take DMT to connect with their dimension.
>dwarves
They exist, they're just abnormally short people.
>ancient mysteries, forgotten gods and arcane secrets
There are more of those than I could ever possibly list out in a single post here, what the fuck are you talking about?

t. reddit

How is that reddit, it's just the truth. Harnessing electricity is another one, how the fuck is that not magic? And don't say because we can understand how it works, because in most fictional settings they understand how their magic works too.

You're posting this thought on an internet chat room. If that isn't irony I don't know what is.

>DUDE TYPING LETTERS ON A FLAT SCREEN IS AS COOL AS SHOOTING FIREBALLS FROM YOUR FINGERTIPS

Retard. Next you'll complain it doesn't count because in our dimension you need to use knowledge of physics and engineering and mine for its materials from the Earth, as though magic in fiction didn't work in that same way plenty of the time with their own magic jewels and shit.

We have fireballs though, they're called guns and grenades.

Just buy a gun or lots of them.

>HURR IT DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE GUNS AREN'T MADE OUT OF FAIRY GLITTER
- op

>need to build your own flamethrower prototype by spending shitloads of money on the project, wasting years in your fucking garage building it and being forced to read long as fuck physics and chemistry books just to get it to work
>even if it worked, it'd be illegal to use or walk around with it anyway
or you could just read a couple of 5 page long books about berries and shit and you'd have enough skills to level up your magicka, plus fireball is only 50 quid. Also killing randomers is legal if you can crouch.

It's a no-brainer desu senpai

Ok to reconcile the two sides: You have to go all the way back to alchemy, when dudes were just trying random shit, trying to do what we now call chemistry. Along with alchemy was astrology, which again was just people making up random shit trying to interpret what we now know as the planets and stars and such.

And out of Alchemy and Astrology came astronomy, which inspired advances in math and physics to describe the motions of the planets. Out of alchemy you have people like Kelvin and Faraday who worked out the field equations. And then you're pretty much clear into "modern" science after that.

And finally, we're fucking manipulating raw elements to create nuclear power, our species is growing exponentially due to progress in medicine, and people have never been more productive or more connected. We went to SPACE. And your phone is essentially a magic wand, just with two very mundane spells: it can summon any information on demand or connect you to any human instantly.

>this world's magic is bad because you need to actually invest time and effort into making it work
It's not reality's fault you don't have the willpower to become a level 99 mage IRL.

>your phone is essentially a magic wand, just with two very mundane spells
It can do a lot more than two spells today considering they're all full blown computers now. You can hijack a guy's car and drive him off a cliff with a phone if you're dedicated enough.
wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

I'd settle for lvl10 tbqh, should be enough to be able to cast candlelight to impress the wenches at the the local tavern

>taking it this far
Man, I just wanted to ask why we don't live in a utopia instead of this world of suffering.

but you can only affect or harm other "magic users", if they don't use or carry any piece of tech then you can do shit. Face it, this worlds magic is fake and gay.

Just get into programming desu, I'm an automation developer and have replaced the daily labor of hundreds of full time employees with literally nothing but words and symbols that I mostly hammer out while in drug induced trance. And I gave up on personal hygiene years ago because they let you get away with that when you provide products that generate shitloads of money, so I have a two foot long beard like a wizard too.

But we do live in that kind of world.

It's just that our distant ancestors wiped out the elves/dwarves, plundered the arcane treasures, and abandoned the ancient gods for so long that no living soul knows the sacred words to invoke them. Then those ancestors drowned in the sea level rise and only the mountain barbarians remained, passing on the story of the past as barely remembered legends.

>you can only affect or harm other "magic users"
Pic related is controlled by computers and can definitely affect you even if you don't have technology of your own.

Also money is a bunch of paper with symbols on them that compel other people to do almost anything you can imagine. Bankers are pretty much magicians who gain vast amounts of land, power, influence, and the ability to compel others to serve them through the practice of directly manipulating the concept of money itself.

Because we live in a time before that. Because when the conceptual gap between cause and effect is explained sufficiently, you stop calling it "magic" in favor of "science". We might be the progenitors whose legacy will be those underground strongholds and all kinds of ancient mysteries, forgotten gods and arcane secrets... Because when the fantastic is commonplace it is considered normal. You are using a fucking computer right now to communicate with us! Think about that for a second.

So you want reality to be just like those subsets and incomplete refelctions of reality that exist within it? Video games and novels? Appreciate that you live in something much more vast, abstract and beautiful that it can contain those concepts.

>tfw dwemer master race
feels aetherius man

>imblying this is not a covert elder scrolls thread

Why is that Redguard gentleman dressed like an Imperial?

>imperials
>white

>Implying stormweenies have a chance against the Thalmor alone
>Implying Ulfric ISN'T just an opportunist
>Implying only Imperials serve in the legions
>Implying the Empire won't fuck over the Thalmor the first chance they get

Neat.

good nwah

The Dunmer should be wewuzzing about his Chimer heritage. Nords are the subhuman snownigger savages of Tamriel, who in their right mind would proudly claim them?

>tfw Veeky Forums mage master race

N'wah isn't even an Altmer slang you unfucking dipshit

You should go /out/ more, also study biology
My problem is being born into a wonderful world full of fascinating life and having to watch it erode away.
Guess our differences is I was being read animal encyclopedias when most kids wanted fiction for bedtime.

If we lived in a world with all that, it be normal to us, and wouldn't be exciting. We read stories about the internet and global thermonuclear war and say: "Why is reality so shitty? Why can't we have cool stuff like that?"

we have a board full of wizards.

I quit TES because the lore wasn't deep enough. Sure, there's a lot of it, but it always devolves into guesses at the finer points of the cultures presented.
I got into Roman history and it's so much deeper. It's more interesting because while there may be guessing going on at all levels, it's shit that actually existed/ happened, not set dressing for a video game.
Morrowind best game though.

That exists and is an entry level magic trick.

Also, the easier it is for you to accomplish a spell, the easier it is for everyone else. The easier it is, the less impressive it seems due to its commonality. Sorry, but you gotta work hard if you are to impress anyone with anything more than stuff like

>subhuman elves flood into your country as (((refugees))), and not content with fouling up the place with their stink, they build a fuck-huge idol to their patron demon, an infernal eyesore visible for leagues around

Grayskin genocide when

>always dreamt of becoming a famous summoner since I love summoning so much
>tfw smart but lazy so can't summon more than a small mouse, meanwhile chad can summon hydra's and dragons despite having a dozen beautiful noble daughters as girlfriends and only doing it as a job

So i'd be a savage nord who goes around distrubing dragonborn with arrow to the knee jokes no thanks.

Brew up some Forty Conjuration, Fortify Magicka, and Fortify Willpower potions before you start then, bozo.

Or join the REAL masterrace and become an enchanter.

Imagine the Dwemer but they actually had little progression building their Gundam

>Brew up some Forty Conjuration, Fortify Magicka, and Fortify Willpower potions before you start then
How am I supposed to get the ingredients though?
I'm not climbing up 500 metre tall cliffs to retrieve the roots of rare plants whilst getting stung by huge hornets or spending years walking along miles of beaches in the hopes of finding rare shells to grind them into a powder, only chad can afford to pay the ridiculous market prices that come with rare magical items.

>orc raids
Orcs are the ones that get continually fucked up in Tamriel.

>orc raids

The Dwemer made one practical mistake under pressure, that doesn't proof them somehow "wrong".
If the Chimer didn't had to throw an autistic hissy fit at the same time they would have succeeded.

those are some nice ass river formations

Just buy them dope, most ingredients are cheap as fuck. Or, you know, steal them.

The Dwemer did not make a mistake, they did exactly what they intended to do, they uncreated themselves. This is also the ultimate objective of the Thalmor, what is it with Elves and trying to unmake reality?

Dude I used to be a sad sack beta caster like you, but then I started delving into the best magic of all:
B U F F S will turn you from a low stat beta virgin caster into an infinite stat, living god. I should know, I'm on path to realising my own apotheosis.
Plus next time a chad sorcerer starts pushing you around and summoning demons to impress your waifu, you can debuff that nigga into oblivion. Let's see how good his HEIGHT, FACE and FRAME are after a round of autocasted debuffs gives him the stats of a commoner.

The only thing that you could ever know about existence, truly, is that you are existing. From that,you make a guess and say that this reality is "real", even though there are many different conscious states (dreams, hallucinations, fabricated memories) that exist in this reality alone. We observe reality with a measuring stick, but the measuring stick is part of the reality we're measuring, so the measuring stick is just as fallible as its measurement. And we measure and observe our skulls and "brains" and say "This is the root of our reality", thus making our existence as fallible as the reality we measure, and that's a problem, and we ignore this problem.

If we believe more that we exist, than everything else existing, we should dismiss the scientific assumption that we're the consequence of reality rather than the source.

If we can doubt our existence more than the existence of reality, then we should abandon the magical assumption that we're the source of reality and not just a consequence.

But many of you will not and should not doubt yourself more than anything else. Therefore we ought to believe in ourselves as the source of our reality.

We exist, therefore the universe around us will exist to explain our physical existence. Our consciousness is on a dimension of linearity, rather than the physical dimensions that really aren't linear.

I was born in this reality, and I don't know my purpose. I could have been born into a reality with all that magic, in a fairy tale land, but I wasn't. My grandparents could have died from a car crash instead of cancer; I could have gone to a friends house instead of a snowey hill where I broke my ankle. Life just IS. We will probably not know WHY until we die; and even when we die, we might not know.

Seems like our generation has a problem. We cant see the real world as something we can affect.
When we play games we change the world around us with progression and effort.
in the real world one sits catatonic and disengaged.
all the realities described are true, but our brains cant comprehend how to achieve the outcomes, because it is complicated and drawn out. we are used to immediate gratification. we stop trying at the first wall.
if we looked at our lives as the game, maybe we could achieve some shit.

Basically this. To pretty much everyone complaining about working a no skill job for minimum wage, wondering why their like sucks, and not doing anything to change it.

Decide what you want (a realistic goal, money, friends, a GF, etc.) Determine what you need to do to get (it based on your current skills and resources), lay out a plan, break it down into small take you can accomplish, and follow it.

That's mostly all there is to it, and you can live (mostly) comfortably and happily. Temper your expectations and keep working towards it.

This guy died during the civil war. an honest imperial man who worked his ass in his farm outside whiterun, I bet you didn't even know who he is just because the game didn't want him to be a hero

Haha right my fellow nord perhaps we should kill those talos cultist too, we nords like to kill right?

>leaving your parents home
>no monthly fees

Dont tink tho, tim

I know him
He the shitskin that died when me and my Aryan buddies took over Whiterun with our fire catapults

>swarthy Nords
>Aryan

Nords in skyrim look like Poles

Instead we live in an exciting world where the possibility of space travel, colonization of other worlds, digitization of personal consciousness to be transferred after death, the ability to communicate with just about anyone you know in seconds across thousands of miles away, the ability to share what you are doing to millions of people at the speed of current, the ability to understand the very fundamental questions about the nature of reality and what constitutes as us/everything in the universe, the ability to build gigantic monuments and buildings that would dwarf any fantasy setting buildings/structures, and so on...

The times we live in are pretty much the best possible time in human history so far.

Well, at least I went out doing something interesting, unlike going in your sleep or getting stabbed in an alley for no reason or shitting myself to death

In another universe there are elves playing GTA to just be human and fantasy.

>"I had my years of war and fighting. Senseless, all of it. All I want now is a rake and a patch of good soil."
>All I want now is a rake
Bethesda confirmed for leafpilled