AESTHETIC thread

nice and interesting historical photos, maps, infographics, videos, paintings

high resolution appreciated

>when Montreal became Venice

Salisbury, Rhodesia

Berlin palace that was destroyed after WW2 by the communists, currently being rebuilt.

very nice, was Rhodesia racist like South-Africa with the apartheid and stuff or why were the whites hated and expelled?

>very nice, was Rhodesia racist like South-Africa with the apartheid and stuff or why were the whites hated and expelled?

probably more so as it was more a pariah state and had a much smaller white population. The Whites left by and large of their own volition

>it was more a pariah state

you mean before the war or after? or both?
(sorry brainlet on the topic)

the bush war or WWII? If you mean the Bush war, both. I'm far from an expert on it myself but it had been a Pariah state since the '60s and acted as a sort of counterfeit Commonwealth nation, the Bush war was in the mid-late '70s

So the whites were in charge and acted against the will of the other nations, therefore nobody helped them in the Bush war, they lost, and Zimbabwe with Mugabe was established or what?

Why/ how did the Bush war start?

I'd say Rhodesia was more like pre-civil rights America than South Africa

the racism was a lot less blatant/institutionalized/violent - blacks could vote and such, but were often blocked due to requirements that they didn't really have access to like education, property, and income. it get a little complicated since you essentially had a 2-class franchise that gave the well-off minority vote more power/weight than the majority. but otherwise, blacks could technically vote/get elected (registration was another issue), and there was even representation for tribal chiefs

the idea/hope was to let the blacks 'catch up' and gradually become socioeconomically developed enough to govern
for a variety of factors, few wanted to wait, and saw overthrowing a government that had become internationally isolated as highly feasible

look into the 1978 Internal Settlement and the state of Zimbabwe-Rhodesia for a compromised version of what Rhodesia was. it was nice, but too little too late; if such a power-sharing/relaxed franchise agreement came earlier, I think Rhodesia would have more/less survived

they didn't lose the Bush War, it ended in a stalemate but if you consider K:D they beat the fuck out of the Gorillas. It did however lead to enfranchisement of the black population. It began as the typical African-insurgency funded by the Soviets

this fellow seems to know more than I do

thanks for the insight!

The first Veeky Forums post I've seen on the subject that wasn't blatantly disingenuous/ motivated by political ideology. Well done.