Good Historical Books

I'm mainly looking for ancient history books. I'm considering ordering pic related on Amazon. Any good suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4
collectspace.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Space Explorers |AMP| Workers&number=38
pastebin.com/6dbqKDu4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dumping my Bronze Age recs.

This one is a little older, but a really nice topical overview of the whole era.

Inique and well-written history of Bronze Age international relations/trade.

Like 1177, a good history of the Bronze Age collapse. Used to be a great deal of kindle, but I can't find it there anymore.

Haven't read this one, but I've heard good things. More about Mesopotamia as a whole than specifically Babylon.

Eric Cline is good. This is a good introduction. The only issue I have is the title is very dramatic and false.

I highly enjoyed this. Anyone read it? Thoughts?

Obligatory.

I don't really understand why people who don't even care about ancient history were screeching at her. She makes brilliant documentaries about the Romans and pic related is a great book.

> no military history
> no rome
shit taste

godtier

>Rome and military are the only ancient things
Go fuck yourself, there's more than just Rome and military

"Hellenistic World" by Bugh

After some recommended reading on post Roman and Anglo-Saxon Britain

>rome
>military history

Normie introduction tier

Bump

Alternate history: If the black death killed 99% of Europeans

Alternate History: If Moses never parted the Red Sea and most of the jews died

title is self-explanatory

I read it and would only recommend it if you're a complete beginner to Roman history.

It even has a date what's up with that? Does it have any basis in history?

Pretty sure 1177 BC is an assumed date where the record goes dark. He explains his reasoning here
youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4

It was world war 0

Everyone should read this.

Seems cool. It's a period so distant that we don't know which mythological individuals were real. I think Gilgamesh was and fantastical stories were basically fan fics.
I checked and the first person we know by name was a businessman named Kushim who lived at the dawn of the Bronze Age (almost at the very end of the Stone Age).
It's mindblowing. Sometimes I wonder how could these people master metallurgy but they weren't cavemen.

I asked in the previous thread, but didn't get an answer. I got this is the mail a few weeks ago from Amazon; does anyone who has read it know how good it is? I've started a book collection on religious history; currently have pic related, "2000 Years of Coptic History" "The History and Structure of the Orthodox Church" (names of the last two may not be exact because I'm not looking at them).

>Non-historians trying to write history books

This is only acceptable when it's Tom Holland.

And Roger Crowley and Barbara Tuchman and David McCullough...

Any Books on the Archaemenids?

Is there a book about the entire human history? I don't know where todo start learning

Persian Fire gives a very interesting account of the ascension of Darius I, among other things.

Thanks friendo I'll check it outta

This book is really good. But to go more in depth in specific civilizations the bibliography is best look at since it is in a very general overview but manages to pack in a lot of info nevertheless.

Link to old thread

If you consider rambling speculation as ''good things''.
tldr: shit book

books on france nowwww rreeeeeeee

I have a few guides that I'll post.

>tfw you'll never know what really happened
>tfw it was in reality probably not very interesting

What's the beef with Gibbon? I haven't read his work but every time somebody mentions him (like Brendon's book about the fall of the British Empire) they praise him as a genius. Some kind of historical poet.

Restating my question

Any good books on nuclear weapons? Creation, warfare, espionage, proliferation, etc

Also any good books on the IRA?

It's maybe shallow but I really like books with pretty covers. Movie posters suck nowadays but some book covers are work of art (even if they're just photos).

anything by Antony beevor, especially stalingrad

His work is now pretty much considered outdated and deeply infected with his anti-Christian views. You should read it for the sake of historiographical studies, but you should keep in mind that it's no longer considered the gold standard for the actual historical discussion, and it's even disliked by many because it contributed massively to a pop-culture understanding of the fall of Rome and the middle ages that has long been considered by the historical community to be factually wrong and condescending.

>Random splotting of books with no particular theme

>Any good books on nuclear weapons?

Anything written by Richard Rhodes, but especially "Arsenals of Folly" or "Dark Sun."

>Creation

>Also any good books on the IRA?

The only one I've ever read on that topic is "Pray for Us Sinners" which fits squarely in the genre known as "historical fiction." I do recommend it however.

tbf the guy never meant it as a definitive chart, its just a list of books he's read on recommendation of other anons here

Does anyone have any good books about historical exploration?

the last thread had an amazing user who compiled a bunch of Antarctic expedition books, but I want to know more about expeditions from around the world

something like pic related? primary sources or

or secondary secondary sources

either is fine, but secondary sources would probably be more likely in this case because I'm just looking for general overviews.

section in pic related on "colonialism and pacific islands" may have something
also:
Glyndwr Williams ‘Pacific: Exploitation and Exploration’ in P. J. Marshall, ed. OHBE II
Nicholas Thomas Discoveries: The Voyages of Captain Cook (2007)
Anne Salmond The Trial of the Cannibal Dog: Captain Cook in the South Seas (2003)
Bronwen Douglas Science, Voyages and Encounters in Oceania, 1511-1850 (2014)
William Eisler The Furthest Shore: Images of Terra Australis from the Middle Ages to Captain Cook (1995)
Alan Frost ‘The Pacific Ocean: The Eighteenth Century’s “New World”’, Studies on Voltaire and the Eighteenth Century 142 (1976)
David Igler The Great Ocean: Pacific Worlds from Captain Cook to the Gold Rush (2013)
Linda Newsom Conquest and Pestilence in the Early Spanish Philippines (2009)
Robert A. Stafford ‘Scientific Exploration and Empire’, in OHBE IV (1999)
G. Casale The Ottoman Age of Exploration (2010)
Frank Moya Pons History of the Caribbean (2007)

J.R. Goodman, Chivalry and exploration, 1285-1630

Because I'm mostly interested in the Antarctic stuff (I'm thinking about writing a book about it myself cause nobody else in my country ever did that) but I have more. Now it's not a proper guide or anything just something I made in under 2 minutes but I have some other stuff. Except for Great Polar Fraud I can't find the ebook anywhere. Historiography of space exploration alone is huge and you can check out that Colin guy who wrote Fallen Astronauts.
He has knowledge he's a contributor to this interesting forum.

collectspace.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Space Explorers |AMP| Workers&number=38

final pic

I'd also add that it's worth reading in the sense of it's influence on the style of modern reading. How Gibbon's referenced and footnoted is pretty much used in some form or fashion by every historian since then. While I agree that his conclusions are largely outdated it's still an incredibly comprehensive history of Rome.

Any good books on North Italy from 1943 to a little post war?

Anyone have any good books on Sub-Saharan African wars?

I've found a couple about the South African side of the Angolan Civil War:
>From Fledgling to Eagle: the South African Air Force during the Border War by Dick Lord
>The War for Africa: Twelve Months that Transformed a Continent by Fred Bridgland

But I'm looking for things like
>Angolan/Cuban perspective of Angolan Civil War
>Closer look at 1975/76 South African campaign in Angola
>Boer Wars
>Biafra Wars
>Congo Wars

see this pic in another thread
its got a book on biafra, one on angola spanning its three decades of war, several on congo wars
for boer wars check out the books listed in this link
pastebin.com/6dbqKDu4

for more books on angola see pic related. there's also these:
Birmingham, David. Frontline Nationalism in Angola and Mozambique. London: James Currey, 1992.
>A brief but authoritative survey of the nationalist movements in Angola and Mozambique during the colonial wars which gives particular attention to the regional southern African context.
Lloyd-Jones, Stewart, and António Costa Pinto, eds. The Last Empire: Thirty Years of Portuguese Decolonization. Papers from a conference on Portuguese decolonization held in Edzell, Scotland, on 11–14 September 2000. Portland, OR: Intellect, 2003.
>As the subtitle suggests, much here concerns the long-term aftermath of colonial rule. Among those focused on the process of decolonization itself are contributions by: Richard Robinson (on international influences); António Costa Pinto (the metropolitan setting); and Malyn Newitt (on São Tomé and Príncipe).

MacQueen, Norrie. The Decolonization of Portuguese Africa: Metropolitan Revolution and the Dissolution of Empire. London: Longman, 1997.
>A comprehensive account of the decolonization process, this book explores the nationalist struggles and the transfers of power in each of the African territories. It highlights the interplay between African and metropolitan developments in the heat of the “revolutionary process” of 1974 and 1975.
cont. in next post

It's a good book, but too general, is there something more scholarly?
>posting more his books

two books from the cuban perspective

Any good books on Napoleon's Marshals?
Specifically Ney and Murat

I am in love with this books

Atteridge, A. Hilliard. Marshal Ney: The Bravest of the Brave. Barnsley, UK: Pen and Sword Military, 2005.
>Originally published in 1912, this book provides a concise overview of the marshal’s military career.
Chandler, David, ed. Napoleon’s Marshals. New York: Macmillan, 1987.
>Written by a team of military historians, this book consists of essays devoted to each of the twenty-six marshals. Each essay provides a succinct overview and an assessment of the life and career of each of the marshals.
Chrisawn, Margaret Scott. The Emperor’s Friend: Marshal Jean Lannes. Westport, CT: Greenwood, 2001.
>A well-written biography of one of the best of Napoleon’s marshals.
Gallaher, John G. The Iron Marshal: A Biography of Louis N. Davout. Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press, 1976.
>This book remains the best English-language biography of the Iron Marshal, who, in the words of one historian, the late David Chandler, was “the least liked as a man, the ablest as a commander, and the most feared—and respected—as an adversary.”
Marshall-Cornwall, James Handyside. Marshal Massena. New York: Oxford University Press, 1965.
>A standard English-language biography of “l’enfant chéri de la victoire.”

Chinese?

No thank you I'd rather just order a pizza.

I knew some fucking smartass would say something like this. I just finished a 24 hour shift gimme a break.

anybody know any other good American history books

If you're looking for a general overview (read: know literally nothing about China), China: A History by John Keay is a good place to start.

It's very broad in its overview, but it's overall a good book and it'll help highlight interesting points that you can delve further into later.

> I just finished a 24 hour
are you posting from foxconn factory in china?

Bumo

>then. While I agree that his conclusions are largely outdated it's still an incredibly comprehensive history of Rome.
>>>
> Anonymous 08/14/17(Mon)22:50:40 No.3245626▶
>Any good books on North Italy from 1943 to a little post war?
please lads

I had a whole list written yesterday but then it got deleted. I'll try again

Lamb, Richard. War in Italy, 1943–1945: A Brutal Story. New York: St. Martin’s, 1994.
>A first approach to the issues of the civil war in Italy and of Italian cooperation with the Allies and the Germans. Interesting, but mostly based on secondary sources and not always successful in describing events.
O’Reilly, Charles T. Forgotten Battles: Italy’s War of Liberation, 1943–1945. Lanham, MD: Lexington, 2001.
>A well-researched study of the role of the Italian armed forces and the Resistenza in the Italian campaign, including an overview of the forces on the German side. Author’s pro-Italian “partisan” attitude led to severe criticism, paralleling the anti-Italian attitude of others.
Nuti, Leopoldo. “The Italian Military and the Atlantic Pact.” In The Atlantic Pact Forty Years Later: A Historical Reappraisal. Edited by Ennio di Nolfo, 247–259. New York: Walter de Gruyter, 1991.
Overview of the development of the Italian defense politics in 1945–1948 and the attempts to obtain assistance from the Allies, with a focus on the strategic thinking within the Italian army staff in 1948 in particular with regard to the threats it was prepared to face.
DOI: 10.1515/9783110857894

Aga Rossi, Elena, and Victor Zaslavsky. Stalin and Togliatti: Italy and the Origins of the Cold War. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2011.
>Originally published in Italian, Stalin and Togliatti highlights the complex relationship that existed between the Italian Communist Party and the Soviet Union in the early Cold War. Although the Italian Communist Party looked to the Soviets for guidance, Stalin put Soviet foreign interests over those of the Italian Communist Party.

what else interests you on postwar italy btw? its economic recovery? its political system?

see pic related as well

Brogi, Alessandro. Confronting America: The Cold War between the United States and the Communists in France and Italy. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2011.
>Brogi argues that political opposition in France and Italy forced the United States to reconsider its strategies to combat communism, its image, and what its “liberal capitalist culture and ideology” meant. Conversely, he argues that the resistance to Americanism by Italian and French Communist Parties provided a test for their “legitimacy and existence.”

-Ginsborg, Paul , A History of Contemporary Italy: Society and Politics, 1943-1988 (Harmondsworth: Penguin).
-The Rebirth of Italy, 1943-50, S.J. Woolf

-Zamagni, V. (1992), ‘The Italian “Economic Miracle” Revisited: New Markets and American Technology’, E. Di Nolfo (ed.), in Power in Europe? II (Berlin: Walter de Gruyter).
-Zamagni, ‘American Influence on the Italian Economy (1948-58)’, in C. Duggan and C. Wagstaff (eds.), Italy in the Cold War: Politics, Culture and Society, 1948-58 (Oxford: Berg).
-Zamagni, ‘How to Lose the War and Win the Peace’, in M. Harrison (ed.), The Economics of World War II: Six Great Powers in International Comparison (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).

Zamagni V., ‘Betting on the Future: The Reconstruction of Italian Industry, 1946-52’, in J. Becker and F. Knipping (eds.), Power in Europe? I (Berlin New York: Walter de Gruyter).

Harper, John L. , America and the Reconstruction of Italy, 1945-48 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).

Miller, James E., The United States and Italy, 1940-1950: The Politics and Diplomacy of Stabilization

Are there any good books about the history of Nippon?

thanks man, capped and saved

double post sorry, but what interests me is how it changed a lot more into extreme radicalism in 43-45 and how the post war government was setup to counter that

When reading books on the history of religion, do you guys prefer books that give at least some credence to the traditional narrative of the religion in question, or a strictly more secular version? Maybe a mix of the two? I ask because I have started collecting a series of works on the history, structure, doctrine, and cultural influence of the Orthodox Church by pic related (a member of the Russian Orthodox Church's holy synod and an Oxford educated theologian and philosopher), and he (kind of obviously) gives some credence to the Orthodox narrative of Christian history. As an Orthodox Christian, I obviously like this, but I wonder how other people might feel about this.

As long as you understand you are reading apologetics that are not obligatory for others to accept as an authority on the matter then it's fine I think.

But do you think it's useful scholarship in the history of the religion in question?

insofar that you can glean the intimate history of a religion from how it perceives itself, yes. But it can't be accepted as the definitive in of itself, it needs supporting evidence from a hypothetical unbiased source.

Are there any good books out there on Tito? He strikes me as a fascinating figure and I want to go more in depth into what he was like as a person

I'd check the bibliography of the Wiki article on him; those often have some pretty good book recs.

Thanks lad!

Ridley, Jasper. Tito: A Biography. London: Constable, 1994.
>This easily read biography portrays a man who managed to bring stability to a multiethnic Yugoslavia and played international powers against each other. Tito refuted Stalin, put Yugoslavia on a “special path,” and gradually embraced some free-market principles.

Djilas, Milovan. Wartime. Translated by Michael B. Petrovich. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1977.
>Djilas believed that Yugoslavia had lost its way. But his firsthand accounts of Tito are valuable, especially this one during World War II when Tito laid the groundwork for establishing a multiethnic state while resisting the Axis.
Maclean, Fitzroy. Eastern Approaches. Alexandria, VA: Time-Life, 1964.
>While this book covers more than Maclean’s attachment to Tito’s Partisans, that section of the book is significant to understanding the British decision (Maclean personally knew Churchill) to switch support from Mihailovic’s Chetniks to Tito’s Partisans.
Roberts, Walter R. Tito, Mihailovic, and the Allies, 1941–1945. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 1973.
>While it is easy to find more polemical studies addressing the Tito-Mihailovic rivalry and the shifts in Allied policy, this book is a well-balanced approach that is neither pro-Tito nor pro-Mihailovic. Both men and their movements were imperfect and Roberts’s use of interviews and documents provides a solid account.
Tomasevich, Jozo. War and Revolution in Yugoslavia, 1941–1945: Occupation and Collaboration. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2002.
>Also author of an earlier study, The Chetniks, Tomasevich’s updated account of this turbulent period shows how the lines blurred between occupation, resistance, and collaboration on all sides.

West, Richard. Tito and the Rise and Fall of Yugoslavia. New York: Carroll and Graf, 1995.
>A journalist, West provides a readable book that combines popular history and biography. He promotes a sympathetic portrait of Tito as a mild dictator, especially by 20th century standards, yet an indispensable actor for Yugoslav unity.

I love this board. Thank you so much