Why didn't they just use the lifeboats to ferry people to the iceberg and wait for help?

Why didn't they just use the lifeboats to ferry people to the iceberg and wait for help?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/eQGFdKEtmKw?t=40s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Who cares about the iceberg, whatabout the cameramen who shot the film, why didnt they try to save anyone???

Some tried, their boats were sunk by the iceberg

BECAUSE THERE WAS NO ICEBERG; THE SHIP WAS TORPEDOED.

They did. The iceberg melted.

>iceberg

>nasa
Fake. NASA didn't exist when the Titanic sank.

The iceberg was already far away when the evacuation started.

Source for your claim?

They drifted past the iceberg after hitting it (and in actuality continued underway for a few more mins after hitting it, despite what they claimed during the inquiry that they stopped permanently after the collision.) Besides, even if the ship came to a rest not too far away, how would boats get passengers onto it? What would they even do? It's ice so it's cold and slippery.
If they were to row anywhere then it should have been where they say the lights earlier but that was still like ten miles away.

Iceberg was far away, there's no radio equipment on it (radio shit bolted in to the ship). Also, sitting on an iceberg you're only waiting to die instead of doing it quicker in the water. It's a giant block of frozen saltwater, and therefore likely to be pretty cold. You and a couple thousand people are on it, all starving and freezing to death, and since you don't have a radio, there's no chance of contacting another ship. You don't have maps, so even if you did have a radio you have no clue where the fuck you are. Now what's the chance that a ship will find this ONE special iceberg out of all the ones off the coast of Nova Scotia and then take the risk to get close enough to it, like your ship that sunk did, and then rescue everyone, within the couple days you have before you all die of dehydration/exposure.

James Cameron please.

>It's a giant block of frozen saltwater
It's fresh water actually, but it doesn't change anything for those who try to rest on it.

Isn't there a spooky story about a unknown boat who did not rush to their help and just disappeared ?

Couldn't they just use the oars from the boats to row the iceberg, like a makeshift boat? I imagine a few thousand people would generate enough momentum to move the berg without any problems.

> all starving and freezing to death, and since you don't have a radio, there's no chance of contacting another ship. You don't have maps

How is that any different than just being stuck in a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean?

>(((iceberg)))

t. someone who's never gone sailing, rowing, or boating in their life.

This

No they weren't, dipshit. Only one lifeboat capsized.

Sailing is in my blood, I live on a boat

But Titanic sank in 1973. Check the Philadelphia Experiment.

The boat was going full cruising speed and bounced off the iceberg. They were a long ways apart by the time people got their shit together to evacuate.

Also, have you ever tried to climb a sheer wall of ice without mountaineering equipment?

>salt water
>freezing
wew

>ice(((berg)))

Some poor pricks below decks probably got a ringside view of that iceberg coming through

He might not be entirely wrong. Look up the Titanic insurance theory. There's plausible evidence that the debt-ridden White Star Line replaced Titanic with her sister ship and had it scuttled in the Atlantic for insurance money.

I wasn't discrediting his claim, just wanted to know how he came up with such a theory because this is the first that I've heard of torpedoes being used

That theory falls apart when you realize that Olympic and Titanic had differences, that there would people who would spot those differences aboard (on in photos now), as well as that there simply wouldn't be enough time to modify/switch the two.

>but it doesn't change anything for those who try to rest on it.
They can drink it.

But it's frozen so then the Carpathia arrives and finds 2,200 people with their tongues stuck to the ice.

Laughter is the best medicine, user. That shit would be pretty funny.

> iceberg
what iceberg?

>Ice(((berg))).

Where's this idea that Titanic was torpedoed coming from? That defies every single thing people said they heard and felt, or rather the fact that they didn't feel or hear anything.

Why did the Nazis invent a time machine and only use it to sink the Titanic?

>implying solidified water can cut through fucking steel

Because one of Hitler's paintings was aboard and if the ship made it to America then it would have been sold, Hitler would become a famous artist, and the rise of Nazi Germany would never happened because its leader never got into politics.
They had to go back and sink the ship to ensure the painting was lost.

why didn't they blow up the iceberg in revenge?

I keep hearing this claim that if the Titanic had hit it head-on, it would have survived. I can see the ship surviving a few more hours maybe, but not being able to make it all the way to land. I would have thought a ship running into a solid block of ice at full speed would cause some pretty catastrophic damage even with the watertight compartments.

Makes sense, it would've wedged itself in

That would have killed a lot of the crew who had their quarters in the bow, jolted and injured everyone on the ship, and bent the frame of the shop and possibly prevented the watertight doors from closing. The mine impact on Britannic prevented some doors from closing.

All around terrible idea. Much better to try to avoid it like they did.

>salt water doesn't freeze

IIRC a lot people were in the water near the ship and got pulled down with it because it created a vacuum or some shit. Also once one end of the ship filled with water it was too heavy and the ship broke in half.

>ice(((((((((((((((BERG))))))))))))))))) killed a whole lot of Gentiles for no reason

The crazy parts of Titanic's story become evident when you realize how the "bad" things about the ship which people say were flaws actually benefited her.
-The coal fire that some believed weakened her actually helped her stay level and not capsize
-*Not* having enough lifeboats for all actually saved more people because they were able to get all but one lifeboat away
-Had Thomas Andrews, her designer, not been on the voyage then it's likely just about every one would have died

Those guys at Titanic H&G really blew my mind when I heard some of these ideas.
There's so many angles and bits to the story that it becomes one of the most fascinating events in history, at least to me.
I wish Veeky Forums has more threads about Titanic or just ocean liners in general (Though maybe that's more for /n/)

I would've done that if I lived back then. Fuck icebergs to hell. I wish I could bring them to life so I could make them suffer and die.

Why didn't they sail in reverse so the water flowed out of the hole in the bow and back into the sea??

>not having enough lifeboats saved more people
are you actually high

The post before it specifically cited dehydration as a cause of eventual death.

I thought it was pretty damn crazy too when I first heard it.

But this was the logic behind it:
Titanic carried 16 lifeboats and 4 collapsible boats. The crew barely had enough time to launch those before the ship went under. If they had the 60+ boats that Andrews originally proposed, the ship would have went down with at least 2/3s of her lifeboats still on deck.
The davits on Titanic were all hand powered. Boats would have to be stacked on their mounts and as opposed to working with 16 stations (as shown in the attached image). With the 60 boats, there would be around 24 stations, with three boats for each, like on Olympic after she was modified following the loss of Titanic.
The crew would have to go through the process of prepping, loading, and lowering each boat but then bring the falls back up, and do the whole process again to get the next boat into position for loading and lowering. With those manual davits it would have taken a lot of time, and manpower, that was simply not available. Ships like Britannic had motorized cranes which could get lifeboats away but those came about a few years later.

Another point was that having enough boats for all would mean even less people would want to get in them. If you think the ship's not sinking then why get in a boat? But on the off chance the ship is sinking, it's better to get into one of the limited boats to be safe rather than sorry.
By the time people realized Titanic really was going down, it was when water had already bypassed all watertight measures and started pulling her down quickly.

To sum it up, Titanic should have carried enough lifeboats for all if she was built with the methods to effectively deploy them. But since she was built without the availability of motorized davits, the plan they chose was a sensible one. A compromise between what was seen as too much and also the bare minimum (16 required by law for a ship of Titanic's size.)

Better question. Where is that son of a bitch now?

Probably melted long ago

Your average iceberg tends to last 3 to 6 years before disappearing so it most likely melted completely away during WW1.

>it most likely melted completely away during WW1

As a matter of fact, not only was this the case but when it did melt it released a great monster from the distant past to roam the Atlantic and wreak havoc on shipping. The Kaiser's intelligence services found out about this, likely through U-boat sightings and secretly dispatched U-28 to deal with the threat. This may sound counterproductive as it was largely affecting the shipping of their enemies but at this point in time the Kaiser was convinced they would break the British blockade soon and international trade would resume.

U-28 was successful in locating the creature as it was attacking a British steamer, the Iberian, whose crew were blissfully unaware of the looming menace. U-28's torpedo attack sank the steamer and blew the monster into the air, presumably dealing it a mortal blow. The log entries were accordingly made to portray the event as an incidental encounter and not a planned termination of a prehistoric terror.

Subsequently theories have arisen that perhaps the creature was not so dormant after all, and was somehow able to steer the iceberg into Titanic's path and score its first kill in millions of years. Perhaps one day another of its kind will sortie from the ice and terrorize the high seas once again.

But didn't they go bankrupt anyways? Conspiracy people will make a conspiracy out on anything

> (((iceberg)))

>tfw when Titanic Honor: and Glory eventually comes out it will never run smoothly on anything but high end machines

fucking

And ironically, the laws that were passed after the sinking of Titanic to require all passenger ships to carry enough lifeboats for everyone on board led to significant casualties in at least a few sinkings, like the SS Eastland which was overburdened with all the boats.

Nature cameramen are not allowed to interfere with the natural course of events.

ERROR ERROR

JUST

this is a thread on Veeky Forums, that lasts over 2 days
>Why didn't they just use the lifeboats to ferry people to the iceberg and wait for help?

Stay classy Veeky Forums

If they get a console deal then I will buy whatever is needed to play it.
Honestly, if the game just got cancelled for whatever reason I would be totally satisfied with whatever imagery, movies, podcasts, and information they have contributed to the Titanic circle. Though I hope they really do succeed in mapping the whole ship and getting the game finished.

And they couldn't do it at a time when the ship wasn't full of people?

Yeah, that would've saved the hundreds of people who died of thirst that night.

It would've actually performed a full front-flip. Landing safely (if with a bit of turbulence) around 200 meters ahead of the iceberg.

Correct maneuver would have been to order full speed, point the bow at the berg and wait until the last moment, drop anchor, cut the wheel over, and drift the ship around the berg while blowing the horn and having the band on deck playing
youtu.be/eQGFdKEtmKw?t=40s

This is a good thread. I check this every day.

It's pretty nice. Aside from on an anniversary on April 14-15 I have never seen Titanic threads on Veeky Forums.
Can't be surprised about that but it's nice there's one now.

>Olympic's first major mishap occurred on her fifth voyage on 20 September 1911, when she collided with the British cruiser HMS Hawke off the Isle of Wight. The collision took place as Olympic and Hawke were running parallel to each other through the Solent. As Olympic turned to starboard, the wide radius of her turn took the commander of Hawke by surprise, and he was unable to take sufficient avoiding action.[29] Hawke's bow, which had been designed to sink ships by ramming them, collided with Olympic's starboard side near the stern, tearing two large holes in Olympic's hull, above and below the waterline, resulting in the flooding of two of her watertight compartments and a twisted propeller shaft. HMS Hawke suffered severe damage to her bow and nearly capsized. Despite this, Olympic was able to return to Southampton under her own power, and no one was seriously injured or killed.[14][30]
Was the captain of the hawke just pissed that his ram would literally never be used, so he decided to ram the Olmpic for shits and giggles?

Haha! Memes!

MEMES!

EPIC MEMES!

We've had a few nice Titanic threads actually! Usually in March-April. Plus some specific Bruce Ismay threads now and then.

I think my favorite Titanic thread was one which started as a /tv/ thread about Cal Hockley doing nothing wrong it and it eventually turned into people posting survivor accounts, statistical analysis of ship wreck survival rates, and Titanic's representation in film and television.

That's good to hear, I'll have to keep my eyes open and hopefully be lucky enough to be lurking when one is up.
Ismay is someone I've been reading a bit about lately and it seems pretty fair to say the man got destroyed by the media for little reason.
While White Star Line's treatment of surviving crew and deceased crew's families in the aftermath could be criticized, it was hardly unique from how companies like Cunard operated.
Ismay himself was turned into a recluse but he still worked to improve safety on his company's ships and raising money for Titanic survivors/families. When he could have easily resigned from the board of directors and walked away from all responsibilities. He chose to stay on and try to make sure insurance payouts were given and similar mistakes did not occur again.

I have mixed feelings about Ismay, mostly related to what I think is an organized attempt by some of the surviving officers and more elite passengers to obscure some of the facts, but he definitely has gotten the shortest end of the stick if there ever was one.

The consultant on the Cameron film, who objected to James Cameron's portrayal of Ismay and presented the writing team with a detailed report on why his depiction in the film was historically inaccurate, was more or less told that because people "expected" Ismay to be portrayed this way he would be, and that they wouldn't be spending money on rewrites.

The same consultant wrote, on Ismay

>Hundreds of thousands of pounds were paid out in insurance claims to the relatives of the Titanic's victims; the misery created by the disaster and its aftermath dealt with by Ismay and his directors with great fortitude, this, despite the fact that he could easily have shirked his responsibilities and resigned from the board. He stuck with the difficult task and during his twenty-five year chairmanship hardly a page of the company's minutes does not contain some mention of the Titanic disaster.

I can't think of a single portrayal that isn't pretty bad. I've seen a few productions of Titanic the Musical and in the script he's almost a comic villain. One production did something unique by giving Ismay the opening/closing song normally given to Thomas Andrews and it gave the portrayal some much needed depth.

There were definitely attempts to keep the blame off the White Star Line. During the Inquiries, Second Officer Lightoller kept hinting that the Wireless Operators were a contributing factor to the collision and sinking (Not delivering all ice warnings). He did this since Philips and Bride were technically Marconi employees.
Really, the blame cannot be placed on one party. Ismay may have made mistakes, but so did many others, even those unanimously called heroes.

You mention one of the realities of film making, most people expect a villain or at least someone who gets some kind of comeuppance. In Cameron's movie he chose Ismay, Murdoch, and created Cal, to serve that purpose.
Or in Selpin's 1943 Titanic, everyone was a villain aside from the one heroic German officer. That one was a blatant propaganda film though so overall very inaccurate.
A Night to Remember is better since it's a balanced telling of events but since it drew heavily from survivor testimony, some things still end up a little blurry due to all the claims.
In reality, I wouldn't say there was a "villain" in the Titanic story but most people don't care about the real people or events, they just want to be entertained with a simple tale.