Why would you?
>greatest general of the war
>only fought for the confederacy because his home state left the union
>opposed slavery
>taught at West Point after the war
>urged the south to cooperate with the union after defeat

>inb4 Sherman was best general
Second best general, but not the gentlemen Lee was

when someone has bent their knee to you. it is your responsibility to pick them up.

It was remarkable there was a stable peace instead of generational conflict. Hanging Lee, who is the single strongest voice for reconciliation in the South, is how you get separatism as a political/terror movement indefinitely unless you are going full meme and want to genocide white southerners, which other considerations aside weakens the US and would be condemned both internally and abroad

No, surrender is a surrender. The alternative was a protracted low intensity civil conflict that would have hampered the Union's ability to expand. And ultimately, the South chose to recognize Federal authority anyway. Later on, this is what prevented another civil war from breaking out after Brown vs. Board of Education. The real question is should we have reintegrated them sooner. But such a thing was made impossible after Booth shot Lincoln.

Also this hanging people wanting to reconcile only causes everyone around them to immediately fight to the death rather than risk execution.

We were wrong to fight him

"We have yet too many bold men to think of laying down our arms...The enemy do not fight with our spirit, while our boys still do," General Lee on the notion of surrender, 1865

Mr. Lee was an old shag who was ready to surrender the lives of hundreds of thousands of good young men if it meant if it meant the survival of his honor. To hell with him. The Confederacy knew better men.

>killed millions of people by leading his terrorist group fighting against the legitimate government
>b-but he was a nice guy!
yes, they were wrong in not doing it

Every last fucking Nigger, Northerner, and Marxist deserves death.

the civil war discussions will always be saturated by modern day politics

>"Legitimate government"
>Violated the Constitution
What did you mean by this

>ready to surrender the lives of hundreds of thousands of good young men if it meant if it meant the survival of his honor
What the fuck are you even talking about.
Lee is basically saying what was.

DO IT AGAIN SHERMAN

Nah, he should be commended for trying to kill the great satan in its infancy

This was in 1865, to reiterate. We knew the fight was lost but was willing to let his men die anyway.

He didn't teach at West Point after the war, he was the president at Washington College
t. Washington and Leefag

>killed millions of people
Holy shit you have less mental capacity then a cumstain on a motel wall

>violated the Constitution

You've got no one but yourselves to blame, fuckhead. YOU seceded without the consent of the rest of the Union. YOU fired the first shot.

His men wouldn't have put down arms at that point is my bet, and plenty of Confederates had been quoted saying they would rather die than see the Confederacy fail.
A noteworthy case being Patrick Cleburne, the "Stonewall of the West", who is also one of the most underrated Civil War Generals imo.

>yankee education

Considering he fought for the confederacy solely because his home state joined it and not because he believed any of the slavery bullshit no, his stature and moderate views were useful in furthering reconciliation, and frankly his house getting turned into a National Cemetery was a pretty big fuck you. A better person for this question would be Forrest

it's Ironic how little has changed in 150 years.

should have said billions instead

no, but we should have hanged Jefferson Davis and every person who signed the individual articles of secession.

Hang Andrew Johnson while you're at it.

>Nevah forget da 8 Billion slaves Robert E Lee killed durin' da war!

this

This isn't how you secure peace after a civil war. The American Civil War was the bloodiest conflict in this country's history, and it wasn't a completely one sided affair. They made the right decision by letting them all live and not rile up anymore unneeded tension. Everyone, even the writers of the Constitution, knew this was going to be a problem that needed solved at some point.

Robert E Lee was probably the one person most responsible for reconciling the south with the north and prevented countless bloodshed from continued southern insurgency. So no, it's a good thing psychotic radical Yankees didn't hang him just to give themselves a self-righteous murder boner.

btw secession was not illegal and therefore not treasonous
>constitution says nothing about secession
>10th amendment to the constitution says any powers not awarded to the federal government by the constitution are reserved to the states and the people
>"Hey we're a country that was formed though secession from a larger mother government, BUT IF YOU EVER LEAVE US WE WILL FUCKING KILL YOU"
>"a bloo bloo bloo, you shelled a fort we were keeping our (foreign) troops in so they would leave and no one even died. THIS IS A TRAVESTY! YOU SHOT FIRST!"

If the leaders had been hanged, the Confederacy would have never reintegrated in spirit and either would have won its independence down the line, or we'd be fighting a low level insurgency to this day.

Reconciliation isn't a meme.

>not America
>American constitution still ad rem

He believed too much in the humanity of his own state and country. He took up the broken sword because he felt like, if not him no one would fight for his people. Things got out of control. and the war dragged way past where he thought peace could be bought somehow. The southern government let him down.

His thinking was simple. If he doesn't do this his country men will simply be slaughtered. History is not kind to people.

Adding a bit here. Lee would have wanted the country to stop fighting itself now, and if taking down his statue would help that. He'd shallow his pride and do it himself, just like he took up the broken sword.

We faced a 12-year long insurgency from the surviving remnants of the Confederate aristocracy that only ended when we surrendered and gave up on majority rule in the South. I think a few hangings would've gone a long way in showing the hardliners we meant business.

>12-year long
Try 150+

That his men were willing to die for him tells me they did not disagree with that sentiment.

because you can't declare something a crime retroactively, after it happened, and then hang people for it.

before Texas v White secession was a legal act, and if you're a Constitutional purist it still is today.

This. Its unconstitutional to have post ex-facto laws

Americans are cowards, they didn't even have the guts to kill the Japanese Emperor in WW2

>Shoot first
>Start an unwinnable war
>Cry about it for 180 years

Are Dixiecucks the most pathetic people in human history?

>Start an unwinnable war
the CSA didn't have to conquer the Union to win, all they would of had to do to win was hold out long enough and cause them enough trouble for someone like McClellan to just let them leave.

>unwinnable
you've never read a book about this in your life

>hang a man who was respected in both the North and South before, during, and even after the Civil War
Yes. Besides the fact Lee committed no war crimes, followed the conventions of warfare, did not terrorize enemy combatants or civilians, acted with proprietary and took care of Union POWs (same with Stonewall and several other more notable Confederate generals), and ignoring he did nothing to lead to a capital execution, this would've seen the fucking pacified South into a rage and restarted the conflict all over again.

Sherman wasn't even the best Union general, let alone second best of the CW.

>gentleman
>opposed slavery
Lost Cause traitor southener detected

>Confederate States of AMERICA
They still recognized the Constitution and believed themselves to be American, they just thought the Union were traitors who were subverting the Constitution's ideas

Only if you think that starting a decades-long guerilla war that would inevitably prevent the integration of the Confederate States back into the Union would be a good thing.

/thread

Is there any other case where the modern nationalists of a country romanticize the ones who fought against their own country?
I honestly can't think of any.

It's as if modern Polish or Russians nationalists were praising Bandera and defending his statues inside their countries. Sure Lee may not have been that bad as said, but still.

Lee was the best man the south could ask for after the war. Lee didn't really want to fight in the first place. Hanging him could have possibly led to smaller rebellions popping up all over the south.

Fat rednecks shitposting on the internet about how their great great great grandpas lost the war isn't an insurgency

Southerners that are Neo-Confedreates don't see Yankees as their countrymen

Lee being anti-secssionist is revisionism. He was fully committed once Lincoln decided to invade his own country.

>What is Segregation?
>What is KKK?
>What is Jim Crow?
>What is Charleston last Saturday?
As a country it's a fucking historically stigmatic problem.

>Charleston
>insurgency
I know that one nig got run over by some commie, but i wouldn't call that an insurgency

Ah the Vietcong solution. Erode your enemies' populous' morale to fight

but thats exactly what they did in nuernberg process

There are plenty of English who romanticize Charles I, even if they think it was good that he lost. So yes.

>I know that one woman named Heather Heyer and 19 others got run over by some nazi
FTFY

Erwin Rommel

>nuernberg process
UN Trails not American Constitution

They didn't even have to do that, all Lee would have had to do is withdraw before the 3rd day at Gettysburg and have the Mead shadow him some more, and that would have drawn the conflict much longer

Nah Lee was a firm believer in finding a quick end to the war. He wanted that push to the Union Capital to sue for peace. He didn't get it

normally I'd debate that northerners also are way too quick to shove sherman and abraham lincoln's dick in their mouths but honestly the confederacy was a mistake. Because we essentially gave the union cause to have power over us after winning we now have to deal with minorities and poverty. Fucking sucks.

To be fair, we exported our negroes to destroy cities such as Detroit. So the balance is even.

The Sherman meme is only there to piss off blood and thunder confedaboos. Just like Bomber Harris the slayer of Germans is propagated to piss of wehraboos and naziboos. Most people in the north don't give a fuck about the war, they just don't want to see the confederate flag flying up in our states.

The CSA was a mess, its just that being pro-Union is an inherently a kwa mindset.
The main reason why a confederate victory would have been good is because it likely would have crippled the great satan in its infancy

The only problem was Confederate citizens hated conscription even more than the northerners did and had a way more crippling deserter problem. On the one hand, your commoner Dixiefag probably didn't like the idea of Yankees invading their home and imposing their morality on them through force, but on the other hand it's not like they were the ones who owned slaves and ultimately benefited from all the fighting anyway.

Yeah I guess you're right. I'm hoping that someday a government official actually brings change because we have a problem here and it's only worse when the left keeps exploiting the african vote just to fuck them over. Makes sense that the democrat's symbol is a fucking ass
Yeah. I think people should be able to have confederate flags because even though it was the wrong cause people still died for that shit, I wouldn't wanna die just to let take away my statues and shit. Most of them are retarded anyway.
I honestly think the union winning was for the best. The reconstruction could've gone so much god damn better and it really did fuck up but I think the unified country has done a lot more in terms of global powers and advancement.

> in terms of global powers and advancement
>wanting america to be an even bigger global power

damn Yanks go back to your factories

>leading his terrorist group fighting against the legitimate government
Yeah fuck George Washington.

The revolutionary war was just as autistic in terms of reasons if not more than the civil war.

>leading his terrorist group fighting against the legitimate government

I wonder where this American got the crazy idea of fighting against his own government. Oh wait that's the whole reason your entire fucking country exists faggot.

Just give it a century or two.

You don't see people getting mad about the revolutionary war, do you?

Boo hoo.

When that nig killed 5 cops and injured 9 others in Dallas nobody in their right mind thought it was an insurgency, just a retarded lone wolf

>wahh wahh when we swarm some car and bash it we might get run over. we're victims!

Retard.

The South might as well be a different country

Despite years earlier trying to say that states can overturn federal laws with a convention were only a minority of congressmen were while suppressing dissenting opinion,

I honestly believe you northerners are not true americans at all, but some fucking international faggots that are just on in sucking this country dry.

I am all for, for seperation of the southern states from the union. Self-determination is a democratical right in a free country.

>leeches
>accusing others of sucking the country dry

Probably a troll, but once you join the team, you cannot leave. That's why we are winning the game, try not to fuck it up dude.

why a troll, I am all for it. It would be better if we had our country and our laws, and they have theirs. We are intrinsically different people as the protests have shown.

>all of these things could have been avoided if the south had been allowed to dissolve slavery on its own terms once it had begun to be more expensive to own slave than it was profitable.
>instead force them to dissolve it asap, burned down their homes and forever shamed them for fighting for what they thought where their rights
>the south develops a culture of resisting change and paranoia about a collusion between northerners and black people to subvert the South and Southern culture

Kind of brought this in yourselves, desu desu

I am amazed that reconstruction went as smoothly as it did

>dissolve slavery
>getting rid of free labor
>history has prove otherwise
whatever fantasy helps you sleep at night

>Killing people is ok
/pol is that way. This is history, not fiction

This is nigger-tier gang shit.

"You a blood now, you can't quit. You quit we kill you".

to be fair those people that got run over are *were* fucking retarded. Did they deserve death? no. But did they literally jump in front and behind a moving car that just rammed into the crowd? yeah.

>antifa
>people

No but the US was wrong to not nip the "South Will Rise Again" bullshit in the bud.

The statues are only one part of Confederate worship that was allowed to permeate through the south after reconstruction.

>hang Lee
>immediately the Union is bogged down in renewed conflict while facing guerrilla and ambush tactics from Confederate forces all over the South, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwest
>this drags on for another decade before the Union is forced to pull out and the Confederates win
Good job.

You were wrong to even start the war. All you had to do was evacuate your forts leave us alone but noooooo
>It would make us look bad
Also
>Inb4 muh war was over slavery and not independence meme
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corwin_Amendment

>The north should've become more tyrannical than it already was
You probably would've if you had more starving Irishmen to conscript

>The North
>Tyrannical

Kek talk shit get hit, cletus. Reconstruction was a mistake.

He's right though, you retard.

>legitimate government
the north betrayed the constitution and went against the founding fathers, not legitimate at all. the south had the right (and the duty) to resist them.

>inb4 redneck
I'm a European

>South: fuck this, I'm sending my cotton directly to Britain now, I'm tired of you cunts telling me what to do
>North:REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>600,000 people die
Did I miss anything?

>opposed slavery
he fucken owned slaves

>god the south are so stupid, fucking fat racist rednecks with no education and fucking their sisters are making our country look bad
>what? what do you mean you want to leave? we have to be united guys!

>Is there any other case where the modern nationalists of a country romanticize the ones who fought against their own country?
I think the contentions of southerners is that they see Lee as someone who fought against the nation they were forcibly brought to heel by.
unless you mean like dixieboos in the north which doesn't to make much sense but you have to understand there are confederate worshippers in europe even.

I still don't understand why anderson didn't surrender to Beauregard, he was surrounded by confederate armies and asked to surrender by a man who personally knew him from west point, and the fucker fights anyway.