HRE/general/

Is the HRE the country which suffered the most throughout history?

Other urls found in this thread:

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Territorien_im_Heiligen_Römischen_Reich
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw Veeky Forums can never have a legitimate discussion about the HRE without >H>R>E taking up the entire thread

>ywn never live in a world where Charles V united all of the HRE with Italy, Spain and the south of France and created a real succesor to the Roman empire that would exist for atleast 1000 years.

>ywn live in a world where Western Europe is split between the Angevin Empire and the Greater HRE

>HRE
>country

hello friend

>
>
>

The HRE is the child with the 2 fighting paerents. Up north he had his nationalistic dad who beats up poles at the border. While south he has his mom who slept with every male figure you know, she is also shizophrenic and massive in size.

How much influence had Brandenburg in early modern history?

>HRE only existed in the 18th century

How do I get introduced to the glory of the HRE? Can anyone recommend some literature?

I wont do it if none of you do it.

I honestly think this was the pinnacle of european civilization.

Peter Wilson's Heart of Europe. If ever wanted to know anything about the Holy Roman Empire (and why it wasn't a shitty incompetent state like everyone says) its in here.

>childhood is believing Austria and Prussia are important for understanding the HRE
>adulthood is understanding that 10th-15th century of the HRE is much more important
The HRE is a medieval construct and it its medieval history is was matters, 18th century squabbles at a time the empire was long since meaningless are of lesser importance.

So are all the white parts not actually part of the HRE?
Or is it just a result of the way the map is colored?

"Nicth darstellbare Kleinstterritorien" is what it usually says on maps.

Non-representable Small Territories in English.

Just the way it is colored, the white parts are minor regions not belonging to one of the major dynasties or clergy.
Also, technically Switzerland should be added, albeit politically fully autonomous they where de jure still part of the Reich till 1648.
To understand, the HRE had around 1800 different independent entities and territories during its existence.

>1800 different independent entities
heres a list: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Territorien_im_Heiligen_Römischen_Reich

Early modern Brandenburg was know to be a big swamp/forest north of Saxony and notorious for endemic small pox and poor soil.

Be warned - that's literally the densest thing I've ever encountered.

>~1,000 years of history
>not in chronological order

>hre
>a country
good meme

If HRE wasn't a country pre-16th century France wouldn't be neither.

>At least a thousand years?
Charles was born in 1500 retard

>Charles V accomplishes everything you've related
>A Habsburg child of Mary I also inhierits the throne of England

Stop acting as if the Habsburgs were cool, they killed the Reich, they killed the Faith and they killed the Divine Rule with their marriage policy.

>H

>R

>E

That's one of the shittiest memes in this board.

I wonder what Charles V could have done. If the Reformation didn't happen, maybe.

>That's one of the shittiest memes in this board.
Its a French meme, French are cancerous

Did he order it by entities or what?

It's ordered by concept. It's a weird book that seems to work under the assumption that you already understand general dates and events related to the HRE so that it can go into excruciating detail about the fine points.

Essentially each chapter picks a concept and proceeds to look at its development across the entire history of the HRE. It definitely helps you better understand each concept on its own, as you're not having to keep track of everything at once, but it makes for a pretty dense book.

Well, it was a weird "Country" likely it is impossible to tell events in a chronological order, because you'd have to to do the same for hundreds of entities.
Does it at least contain some of the juicy every day history, like market orders, guilds, or why the executioner would double as whore master? Because somehow I think those little details of how society managed to organize their lives in a myriad different ways is the real medieval treasure.

>If the Reformation didn't happen,
Reformation was the whole point of the HRE.