EUIV

What is Veeky Forums opinion of EU4? I love it, but am still getting some mechanics of the game and learning more about it, even after almost 100+ hours of gameplay.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CVfyM-mknNw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't like the mana system being tied into everything

I prefer ck2 more because it's more fair and playable. Both Eu3 and eu4 were too complicated and I got BTFO in every single game file I started like when I played as Pisa and worked up to declare war on urbino but unexpectedly got destroyed by Bohemia which unexpectedly marched its army across Europe into Italy just to destroy me.

one of the most casual historical grand strategy games ever. it is very accessible to new players relatively speaking, has lots of "legal" exploits regarding the AI and warfare, and once you've played a game in every continent the novelty wears off as unique country ideas aren't enough to create a difference. it does not favor building tall, due to how development mechanics work, and it is very easy to stabilize conquered lands meaning the map just becomes giant blobs of ahistorical color.

that being said, if I wanted something historical an indepth I would probably play something more autistic like vicky or ck2. eu4 is an alright game. the base game isnt' very interesting anymore for me, so I mostly play extended timeline, and maybe someday I'll feel up to trying out MEIOU

lmao, CK2 is a ton more difficult then EU3 or EU4, wtf are you talking about

It was like I was extremely unlucky every time I played Europa universalis. I got crippling rebellions popping up in my provinces even when I was +3 stability and during wartime.

what nation were you playing

wartime does not help your stability user, war exhaustion gives you more unrest which only goes up during wars.

Played easy start games like Poland or France and some more harder ones like Leinster, I unified Ireland but got destroyed by Scotland+rebels.

do you know how to calm down rebellions?

run by money grubbing swedes
have fun paying $300 for the full game

in stability and expansion tab, go to the "handle them!" page at the bottom and do what you can, boosting stability and coring provinces helps

My favorite part of the game is uninstall.exe

>points out swede cucks
>is leaf

Come on man

It seems almost counterintuitive desu, I haven't played much but it's fairly annoying. There really isn't much to do when not at war, with the exception of calming down territories you achieved through war. War is definetly the most fun part of the game, and yet a lot of mechanics exist solely to prevent the player from engaging in too much of it, which in the end is incredibly frustrating because without them it becomes a blobfest and with them you spend most of the game just waiting to spread your culture to conquered territories.

Crusader Kings is a much better game imo because there's a (admittedly small) amount of things you can do that are fun without being war. You can fuck around with other dynasties, hunt for artifacts, accumulate domestic power and reorganize your realm and vassals.

Victoria 2 would be my favorite game for all time if it actually implemented the ideas it tries incorporating. Having a detailed society and economy that I can interact with would be amazing, but I don't feel like it was done very well.

>Buying a Paradox game
Unless you want multiplayer (and there's workarounds for that too) there is really no point. I buy the CKII shit, I'm not paying for anything else

>(and there's workarounds for that too)
Go on...

That big mewmew and taxes mod fixes your complaints, but makes it even slower to run.

The russian Counter Strike hackers forum has an english board that features uploads and cracks for all Paradox games, with DLC, with multiplayer capabilities.

its a great game, i have played over a thousand hours, their fiscal policy is hilarous but thats because they think everyone has a sweden tier salary, it also works for them so why not (i guess theyd be thinking)

Well I bought the game and the crucial dlcs for 50€

Shit. Torrent and then play Victoria 2. Be a real man amongst men.

I play Paradox games for years and i never paid for a single DLC, let a lone game in my life.

>100+ hours
>1000 hours
hmm, life is short

I have about 1000 hours in each Football Manager game.
Life is meaningless, make your own gods. My god is the GOAT regen.

1600 hours and not a single steam achievement, just trying to LARP historically as the nation I play.

Fite me

there are some larping achievements though

I've played Vicky 2 to death, same with DH Kaiserreich, so I've been getting into HOI4 lately. I do enjoy some of the casualised/streamlined design choices, while others only clutter the UI and were "casualised" into some esoteric mess that's somehow more complicated than previous entries' mechanics. I hear HOI4 Kaiserreich is coming into its own, so I'd like to give it a try sometime.

CK2 with HIP, as well as that post-apoc America mod are also great fun. Geheimnisnacht is as well. I just want Elder Kings development to speed up, as active development would give me a reason to stop uninstalling CK2.

EU4 is just boring for some reason. Even Stellaris manages to keep my interest up to a certain point.

Is there any feeling better than beating England as Scotland? That rush of sensation as you take a far weaker starting position and use careful diplomacy and vulture-like scavenging of Ireland to build a war machine that can go toe to toe with England is top-fucking-tier.

Thats a funny way to spell "ally France and wait".

Fuck no son. Let me break it down for you.
>1. Blitzkrieg Ireland. Fabricate claims, use vassalization to chain wars, and build spy networks in Irish minors you will soon border to keep warring. You should have Ireland by 1450.
>2. Pillage all of the ducats from each minor. If you manage to drag in Leinster and Tyrone if they don't ally England, that should nab you around 800 ducats total.
>3. DO NOT ALLY FRANCE AT GAME START. They will inevitably call you in on the Surrender of Maine war, meaning you'll probably be England's first target, and France will be war leader, meaning you get jack shit even if you win.
>4. Using all those sweet ass ducats, build at least 10 heavy ships, preferably 15. You also want to ally at the very least Castile, preferably them plus Burgundy, which should be enough to beat England at sea.
>5. Wait until England fights France again around 1460-5ish. They will hopefully ship over their army onto the continent. Declare, defeat their fleet (good luck, England has broken navy ideas which you need like 2-1 superiority to beat) and trap their army in Europe.
>6. Full siege England, and take Northumberland (the one with the fort on your border), Cumbria, Lancashire, Marches (another fort), Gloucestershire, and Hampshire. This steals all of England's forts and cuts them in half with one war.

And now you have been educated, my son.

...I guess I'm off to play Scotland then.

>Here is the plan: beat England's navy

Plan discarded.

you can ally france and avoid the maine wars if you know how to play, you can also use your favours to call in france and togather you can eat england without touching ireland, moreover, you can do both at the same time and start colonizing aswell

>>Here is the plan: wait until you build 15ish heavy ships and bushwhack England with the help of Castile, Burgundy or both
You're still not a naval match for England alone, your goal is to provide enough backup that another country can tip the scales
>favours
I don't have that DLC, I've given all my shekels to Paradox already. Besides, I like subjugating the Irish.

You can also get a war with England if you help Denmark against Sweden, this is generally favorable.

>tfw have never finished a paradox game because i either get bored or ragequit halfway in or earlier.

Absolute mad genius
I'd always tried to fight England on land and lose because they have double my force limit and also lol infinite ducats
This might actually work

>turkey is ottomans

Come on guys it has been almost a century.

draft heavies and grab an admiral from burghers, 8 or 9 total will destroy the english fleet. no need to waste all your cash

you can beat them on land anyways if they're fighting france, mil focus and hit them with tech advantage and a good shock leader

EU never caught me, I prefer CK2 and V2 much more

Europeans universalis is boring.
War mechanics in paradox games isn't fun or interesting outside of the Hearth of Irons serie.
Victoria And crusader Kings are Good tho because it has meaningful things to do besides of warmongering

I like EU4 and Vicky II but just don't get CK2. I just load up a game and I have no idea what to do and no clue what is going on.

>want to learn vicky 2
>too stupid

buy the game, pirate the dlc. the only way to play paradox games

>tfw trying to form ireland is RNG

This is probably the worst thing in the game, it's not that fun when every single event and action is dumbed down to abstract bird points

I wan to roleplay England but its events, decision and whatnots are too many and i dont know much for correct choice historically. So, anyone has a link or whatever that can help?

>nearly 1000 hours on vanilla EUIV
Kill me.

>play as Feudal lord
>raise money and deploy your marshal to train troops, send your chancellor on diplomatic mission or getting casus belli, treasurer to tax collecting, bishop to convert local populace if needed.
>use casus belli to declare war and gain land.
>repeat until you have large empire/kingdom

Yeah the LARPing achievements are the most fun. I actually kind of ruined an Ethiopia game I was playing by being a stupid achievement hunter and going for Constantinople instead of Delhi.

Beating the Ottomans as Byzantium, with no allies outside of the Balkans.

EU4 without favours isn't worth playing to be honest.
Just ally the biggest country in the block and let it fight your wars for you

>Play EU with favours
>have to spend 40 years doing nothing as a small country.
Nah man without favours you are actually allowed to have fun.

>have to spend 40 years doing nothing as a small country.
or you could ally similar sized nations, who give you 1 favour a year. And you could help them in their wars, so you gain favours even quicker

>a leaf buys while the swede sells

good point, although sweden will get into trouble with russia and you dont want that war

It's a cool game at first as you're experimenting and getting the hang of it, but once you realise how simple it really is it loses all of it's initial champ.
Plus it has like a bilion of tiny dlcs sold separately making the entire game cost like 300 euro.

lad, when the even pops up the google that decision and educate yourself a little bit, you can pause as much as you want

*charm

>i am shit and dont understand anything
>le have fun meme

liquor simulator awaits

>What is Veeky Forums opinion of EU4?
Somehow Paradox managed to create a strategy game where money doesn't matter, because mana is always gonna run out before every single other resource, effectively bottlenecking you.
Honestly I liked EU3 much better.

my pc is slow and i can pop up and google without closing the game. and i am lazy.

Just kill them with your armies dude, if they're peasants they fall apart

My computer runs too slowly to play these kinds of games as the in game timer goes about 3 or 4 times as slow for me. Are there any similar games that are turn based?

>not pirating it
I know your my countrymen so I should defend you, but your a fucking faggot. I hope you get beaten to death.

>clicking on any russian page ever

This is the patrician way to play Paradox.

cs.rin.ru my negro.Its clean, you need to make account and latest version of any paradox game is yours.

Then use your phone

Im legit lacking IQ points to play victoria II
Way too many things everywhere

It isnt that hard, if i managed to grasp anybody can. Difference in Victoria is that you dont have things set in stone like in most paradox games, where you collect mana and you do something that you need mana for, but you more or less give direction and hope for the best, especially with regards to economy. For me it is one of the most satisfying paradox games, together with darkest hour.

Fuck off.
t. England player

Its imo too luck and random based.

I load a game and immediately get some complete bullshit event.

I siege a fort 1 with 20k soldiers and 4k artillery and a general with 3 star siege. Siege can take between 30-800 days, completely random and annoying.

allies are fucking retarded and can seriously fuck you up real bad.

connected to that problem it is completely annoying that the guy who gets there first is the one that will conquer the fort or region. oh, youre coming with a 30k army to this fort? too bad my 4k troops were here a day before you, so obviously this is my siege! and then later you cant claim that in the peace talks.

i also dont really understand how the battle system works- but results there are also very inconsistent and random.

all in all fucking annoying how luck and random based it is.

>connected to that problem it is completely annoying that the guy who gets there first is the one that will conquer the fort or region.
Not if you have the DLC. Pay up!

I bought the "Extreme Edition". Thought this was including all DLCs and stuff? Im completely new to this game. Bought it last week and have like 20 hours played.

The DLC in question is "Art of War". If it's enabled in the launcher, it should work. Note that countries that desire a province that they are singing down (i.e have claims or cores on it) will occupy the province for themselves. If they don't, then they'll transfer the province to the war leader (or a human player, maybe). It's frustrating when your war goal is a province that an ally desires. (I only play with Common Sense and Art of War, the two really necessary DLCs, so maybe some other mechanic is in play, I dunno)

What is the absolute comfiest country to play as? My money is on Denmark

well i just looked, the "extreme edition" consits of the base game plus some constantinople soundtrack. No DLCs or extension packs whatsoever. Fuck me.

>entire strategy boils down to being bros with Norway and Sweden
Agreed, comfy as fuck

The meta has changed. Money matters much more now, especially early on.

My child, why must you do so much to achieve so little?

>start game
>focus mil immediately
>conquer irish minors and steal their ducats while waiting for mil tech 4
>vassalise 1 irish minor
>mil tech 4 hits build to army FL
>hide navy in port and declare war on the english
>mil tech 4 gives .25 tactics and +1 morale and the english starting ruler is garbage so since you rushed mil they wont get it for many more years
>have fun stackwiping anglos with your smaller army, detach 1k stacks and siege out the english while leaving one hunter stack to wipe any new armies they make
> split the land between you and your 1 vassal irish minor to distribute the coring cost
>voila, you have neutralised england in one war, they will never be a threat again

Guaranteed to work 100% of the time

>includes the fucking ebook

I can't get into it. Seems to take too much micromanagement for my liking.

Maybe I'm retarded or unlucky, but I never ever get the stackwipe on Anglos. Plus they generally outnumber me two to one unless they be fighting France or War of the Roses

Any tips to defeat Ottomans as Byzantium?

You need strong allies. If you can get Hungary and Poland (preferably with Lithuania PU'd), you should have enough firepower to crush the Ottomans and retake all of your cores. If you're a cheesy shit or you can't get both of them or Austria allied and get crushed, then restart.

youtube.com/watch?v=CVfyM-mknNw

>play as Granada
>succesfully fleeing from Iberia and conquer some land in North African specifically Maghreb
>Try to stabilizing my kingdom and hope i can retake andalus again in the near future
>Just right in the time 200 years later where my country's been fully stabilized, both portugal and castile come to me with their huge fucktons army as the result for being OP after conquering the New World

Did you win? Usually the AI is retarded at cross-oceanic invasion

star building spy networks in candar and circassia, you can conquer candar before the ottos dow you, then just expand to circassia crimea and build a powerbase big ebough to reclaim your balkan cores. Its hard to get big allies this patch because f the -100 from many relations.

Nah, castilians army were more outnumbered. I was allied with Tunis but that's no help. My whole army (with Tunis counted) was like 50k while Castile and Portugal was like 70k+. Their navies were terrific that i can't even cross the Gibraltar strait. I should be better to defeat them early,because Castile and Portugal went OP after they conquered the New world.

get dip rep, rival mamluks, ally otto, profit

>play Ethiopia
>manage to ally Ottomans

They actively help me conquer land around me, and passively feed my economy by calling me into wars in Europe and then sharing reparations when they make peace.

why would you siege a fort which requires 3k troops with 24k? do you like flushing down manpower in your toilet?

its not random, you are just an idiot who doesnt know the game

Beating another coalition of hungary,austria,poland and lithuania as the ottomans.
Fucking crusading retards should stay put of the balkans.

eradicating ottoshits from europe before 1500 and let have them as prestige farming grounds

mixed signals

It just now occurs to me that HoI4 would probably be a good fit for Kaiserreich as the latter didin't really focus on the operational level warfare stuff. With HoI4 streamlined stuff it might just capture the former's Europa-harem ERP VN feel.

I'm going to have to play a Finland game in EU3 and get your failed bead-eye country Mongol'd.

none. Byzzie start is so luck dependent these days that it's not even worth it. The removal of the AI bonus diplo spot for players has made it impossible to get decent allies these days.

The only viable strat left is heavy spam, pray Venice likes you, pray you can trap Otto's in negroponte. It's incredibly unreliable