Just how common was anti-semitism in the Western world until the holocaust happened?

Just how common was anti-semitism in the Western world until the holocaust happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreyfus_affair
books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Judenhass&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=20&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1;,Judenhass;,c0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It wasn't gas all the Jews, it was just normal levels of dislike.
Similar to today, really

The holocaust, and the Nazis, did more to make discrimination, and racism, taboo than any other thing in history.

It matter where you were. Jews in Italy didn't have it as bad as Jews in England.

Extremely widespread throughout western and eastern Europe. Anti-semitism is why the holocaust happened, because nobody really liked the Jews to begin with. Not in a genocidal way, but in a "I wouldn't shed a tear if they were gone" sort of way. Which is why when Nazis started carting them off to camps nobody really objected that much.

Was extended but mostly for religious reasons, not for racial bullshit.

I wouldn't say they were exactly welcome in either country. It's more about local region than country. Like, Poland had lots of Jewish enclaves where they could live untroubled by others, but overall Poland wasn't super fond of the Jews. And that's pretty much the same story no matter where you go, just varying sizes and numbers of those enclaves, because Jews had problems assimilating into general populations due to prejudices against them.

Italy during WW2 stopped writing race laws when the pope said that anti-semitism was not compatible with a loving god.

jews were one of the most convenient scapegoats lying around
when a plague, a draught, war happens you just rally upon your populace and blame it on those hook nosed kikes
thus im not suprised in the current anti semitic climate,it was well engrained on their culture,only the nazis took it too far

Widespread. It is essentially non-existent in the West today.

Anti-semitism didn't exist. Counter-semitism did.

Nobody wanted Jews even when it was happening. Jews were basically considered a parasitical infection on society, and pretty much openly inviting crime, subversion, and cultural perversion.

Good thing that was proven wrong

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreyfus_affair

>Good thing that was proven wrong

People say precisely the same things in the same words about Muslims now, though.

In Europe there is no real antisemitism any more, not if the standard we're comparing it to is before 1945, but it's been quickly re-purposed towards Muslims, almost as high as anti-Jewish sentiment at any given time before 1945.

Really varies with the era and where you were... I mean, during some periods, in some places, it was the sorta thing you revealed at peril of your life - and just being accused of it could get you killed.

Probably more fair to draw comparisons to what was happening just before the Nazis came to power, outside of Germany... Judging by the quotes from the Algonquin Round Table in the 1920's, which included a mix of Jewish and white writers, racial epithets were thrown around pretty readily, even if, obviously, there was no real hate there. You'd never see that today, so yeah, it certainly changed things. Being a Jew would keep you out of certain clubs and establishments, even then, as well as certain political circles.

(Don't ask my why I'm bumping a /pol/ bait thread - I was just reading them and thinking of that, I suppose.)

>/pol/ bait thread

>In Europe there is no real antisemitism any more

Is that by free will or law?

I know a lot of people who call themselves liberal/libertarian/libertine as I do would say that it is a stupid or offensive question, but not me. That's a great question. It's the most important question about the whole thing. We should agree right away that it is both, so the argument is which was the more important, which lead to which.

I still say it's by free will. The law follows the will in this case. People were disgusted by what happened in the Holocaust, that a significant number of victims of it were Jews, and it was no longer possible to say they were not true Europeans. We viscerally remember the European genocide that Europeans committed against Europeans in living history, and this memory has had a variety of effects.

But unfortunately, it's not a loss of European style xenophobia, it has been transferred to Muslims. There are those who weave Jews in with the anti-Muslim stuff, but the driving force of it has been forced down anti-Muslim lines alone. In the UK, and to a lesser degree in Western Europe and Ireland, some of it is anti-Asian or anti-Black or anti-Eastern European, but none of it is as united as the anti-Muslim sentiment and groups.

Criticism of Israel in their 'occupied territories' by leftist Europeans is not a kind of crypto- European style xenophobia, it's anti-imperialism with some unfortunate choices of terminology that unfortunately contains noisy antisemites. Listening to them for even a short time reveals that the antisemites are criticized by the critics of Israeli policy with very sober and sensible arguments.

Lol nonsense Jews in England had largely gone native. They fitted right in to the British Empire's mercantile cosmopolitanism.

It was common in places like Romania but Germany was actually known for not being as anti-semitic or racist as much as other nations.

Same goes for colonial Australia - Anglo-Jewry was mostly assimilated. The radical Jewish political movements - Zionists, Bundists and Communists only started coming in the 20th century predominantly from continental Europe.

>I'll play with definitions to change the name of things.
FOR VVHAT PVRPOSE

And pogroms?

Meh, not so different than many other ethnic shenanigans throughout history. Sometimes you have to shakeup the discontents in your ranks.
The Spartans made a holiday out of it

This, even many prominent philosophers and politicians were openly anti, antisemitism, somewhat strange for the time.

There's something endemic to the French language that causes speakers thereof to hate anyone who doesn't consume at least 3 loaves of bread, a bottle of wine, a liter of cream, and a pig each day. It's not that they hate the Jews, they hate everyone.

you'd think anti-semitism was everywhere, but i haven't heard it existing here in finland. most jews came to finland after russian empire collapsed and they adapted well as finnish citizens. they even fought in both ww2 wars alongside with germans.

>racism is prejudice+power

Antisemitism is just a euphemism for Jew hating (Judenhass) to make it sound like a rationally informed philosophical position, rather than an emotional one.

Fun fact: Hitler and the NSDAP actually had to scale back on anti-semitism to win the elections in 1932. Read Hitler Zweites Buch (Second book is actually the name, dude was a proto hipster). There is almost no Antisemitism in it.

Almost. The Anti-semite party in Germany was founded in the late 19th century. They didn't have much traction tho.

>Antisemitism is just a euphemism for Jew hating
Objectively wrong:
Antisemitism: racially motivated; requires the notion of race and biological inferiority and started in the second halt of the 19th century
Antisemitism: religiously motivated; needs the idea of
religion and is probably as old as Judaism
Judenhass: a combination of both; proof: books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Judenhass&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=20&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1;,Judenhass;,c0

Pretty common.

Pic related is from Tintin "The Shooting Star"
>Did you hear Isaac? The end of the world! What if it was true?
>(with a germanic accent) Hehe. It would be a good deal Salomon! I owe 50.000 francs to my suppliers... That way I wouldn't have to pay...