ISIS tier

Those confederate statues aren't that old (early 20th century at the latest) yet i still think the protesters are wrong to destroy historical artifact. It's not like doing so can bring anything good in the present.

I made a thread relevant to this but got called /pol/ and it got pruned.
I want /pol/ to stay off Veeky Forums but I do think destruction of old statues is terrible, especially if it was to generals/statesmen who did great things in the context of the time/situation that they did them.

Like a statue of Arthuer Wellesley in Dublin, I'd not want to see it destroyed just because ANGLO

Iconoclasm is of all ages. I'm not sure what Veeky Forums related there is to discuss here. We could discuss iconoclasm in general, and when removal or destruction of statues is alright or not.

The Civil War is part of the cultural history of the South. Destroying these statues is wrong. What's next, we destroy old tapes of the Dukes of Hazzard?

Personally, I'd agree to sell the statue to these neo Nazi whiners, and if they actually put their money where their mouth is, it can stay.

Then I'd use the money to erect a statue of Ruth Ellis.

That way, the progressives are pissed off that Robert E. Lee is still there, right wingers are pissed off that some black woman is now there, and conservative blacks are pissed off that a lesbian is now there.

Everybody wins!

I quite liked the idea that it be moved to a cemetery for the soldiers if it absolutely had to be removed.

Civil war memorials should stay, but there should be a generic plaque attached to it or in its vicinity which outlines the causes, events and outcomes of the civil war.

but no, it's America, so REEEEEEEEEEEEE MY FEEELINGS TEAR DOWN THIS STATUE MR TENDIESSSSSSSS

They aren't from the civil war, though.

tfw someday statues of Collins will probably meet the same fate

That's why you must VOTE 1 SINN FEIN!

I do vote SF because I live in NI and there are no other Irish parties worth a shit. Soon as that border goes (if it ever does) they can fuck off, though.

The city of Nantes is responsible of the trade of about 500.000 slaves, from 1713 to 1831.
I suggest we destroy Nantes for being the glorified symbol of the white oppression.

Thank god I've finally found a sane post.

ISIS does many bad things like slaughtering and torturing people but I don't care if they destroy statues. Same with Anti-fa and Alt-right neo-nazis. Statues come and go.

those people rebelled against the united states, there shouldn't be statues honoring them
my two cents

This is not a statue of some criminal, this is a war memorial. There are war memorials for the German soldiers in France, do you think it's ok to destroy them?

USA is such a commie friendly country. Fucking disgusting.

m8 your on Veeky Forums, people here are genuinely shocked that German soldiers received funerals let alone memorials.

This thread is getting nuked.

But I think if municipalities have a problem with Civil War era monuments, then there are options other than tearing them down via mob.

One option is to move the monuments into a museum. Another option is to build a monument around the monument that gives wider context on the history of the individual, the civil war, and meaning behind the statue.

It's celebrating literal traitors who killed their own countrymen? Should Syrians be forced to put up statues to commemorate dead ISIS faggots? Should French be forced to put up memorials to Nazi collaborators?

>"forced" to put up statues
That's not the situation at all.
No one is forcing more statues up, i's about preserving the real cultural legacy against reactionary iconoclasm.

If you remove history, it will repeat itself, hard.

I wish one thread would survive. /pol/ is worse than it ever was now. I'm frustrated because there's absolutely no reason for radicals to be so popular now. Also what's even worse that the media focus on one group. Commies can always do what they want in the West.

I mean I can understand Weimar Republic. Debt, no kaiser, shock after WWI.

These aren't Civil War statues, they are from the period where blacks protested against segregation, so southerners built a bunch of these to remind people how they feel about it.

I'm not worried about commies, most of them don't advocate violence, and those ones that do tend to be cowards who don't organize well either (aside from smashing the occasion chain restaurant window)
American pinkos don't shoot up churches, skinheads do.

I'm not a fan of tearing every single statue down, although that's the easiest thing for a local government to do so I understand why they'd settle on that option (it's cheaper than building another statue, satisfies partisan Dem primary voters if that's your district). Obviously I don't like mobs tearing them down but whatever. I would also draw a distinction between something like this monument in Durham, which seems pretty innocuous imo, and some of the ones in New Orleans, which iirc had placques on them talking about how the south would rise again, or lauding the lost cause, or some other similarly seditious talk. That shit, or at least the placques discussing it, needs to be erased.

Putting up "counter monuments" is a great idea but it's not always going to be practical.

So statues of Mugabe and the soldiers who served for him should stay up because of the culture?

>Should French be forced to put up memorials to Nazi collaborators?
They were literal nazis user, the memorials are there in the memory of the 3rd reich dead soldiers. That's called "respect", and nobody in their right mind would ever think to deteriorate them.
What happens in OP's picture is indefensible.

If the statues absolutely HAVE to be taken down, they NEED to be placed in a museum or something, at least. Those statues had meaning then, and meaning now, and that meaning has historical and cultural that needs to be preserved, imo. Same way that statues of Lenin and Stalin or Hitler, need to be kept somewhere as a reminder as to what humans are capable of and to not repeat the mistakes made in the past.

I don't like double standards. And that to some people calling themselves anti-fascist makes you a good guy.
For some reason in some countries you can have two evil groups but the name nazi works like a spell.

True. The destruction of that statue was like destroying a cemetery. And there are cemeteries dedicated to Germans and Soviets in central/eastern Europe.

So if we get rid of all the Confederate statues we can enslave niggers again!

>commies, most of them don't advocate violence
Fucking
Kek

>haha fuck those uncle toms amirite?

That's just part and parcel of living in a developed 1st world superpow-