and
>unified
>german
>empire

Reich just means empire.

So 1st reich = HRE
2nd reich = Imperial Germany

Fun fact: Each of the three Reiches were destroyed by France

The first two definitely but the 3rd was only partial involvement. Relly, the ruskies killed the 3rd Reich

Fucking Poland probably did more than France in that war.

>Holy Roman EMPIRE
>German EMPIRE
>Third ... REICH
Anglos are fucking retarded.

How did they destroy the third one?
by cowering in the canals and waving a white flag until the germans had pity with them and laid down their arms?

wtf i love france now

you are confusing strategic retreat with surrender. French President Trump News Conference never stopped resisting Germans, and it payed off, since France won at the end.

ikr
it's too bad that there is no cognate in English anymore (I think Irish people still say rijk or something)
the closest would be 'realm'
in Norwgegian we can say things like 'innenriks' meaning 'domestic' but literaally 'within the reich/realm'
but we can also say 'skogriket' meaning 'the forest realm' without any political connotations

All countries in the EU are bound by treaties, something literally all nations are, at any point they can leave, as Britain has done, the EU's nothing like a complete political entity, there's fuckloads of edge cases and exceptions everywhere.

No such thing as "Poland"

No. Reich literally means realm.

Well no such thing is going to outlive several other countries west of their border.
Maybe people will call it the Fifth Reich.

>trying that hard to make English look close from German

Top kek
Your word for "reich" is "empire" (a literal unchanged French word), deal with it frog rape baby

But that's wrong you fucking retard. The meaning of the word Reich is realm. The correct translation of empire to German would be Kaisertum, or Kaiserreich, which again, literally means "emperor's realm."

Reich means Empire
Kaiserreich means Caesar's Empire

Alright since you're this retarded

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reich

>Reich (/ˈraJk/;[1] German: [ˈʁaJç] (About this sound listen)) is a German word literally meaning "realm". The terms Kaiserreich (literally "realm of an emperor") and Königreich (literally "realm of a king") are used in German to refer to empires and kingdoms respectively.

>As such, the term Deutsches Reich (often translated to "German Empire") continued to be used even after the collapse of the German Empire and abolition of the monarchy in 1918, without any imperial connotations.

It's not an exactly 1:1 cognate word. Similar enough for Anglos though. Also, it was THIRD from the perspective of the Nazis. No one called it the second Reich until the 1930s.

Reich means realm you retard, do you think the Germans call France and Autstria empires?

Dunno, but Realm of the Franks or Empire of the Franks, fact is they call the French Franks

In Austria's case I am not entirely sure...

>they call the French Franks
well, technically they where, I mean at least the nobility of France was of Frankish origin. The peasantry not so much of course.

Austria has been a powerful empire for most of history, while German states were just weak shits in its sphere of influence, so why not?
It would kinda be like Skyrim nords calling Cyrodiil "the Empire"

The Germans change their language all of the time, do you think they wouldn't change that. They change their anthem because they think it has too much of a connection to the Nazis.

>Austria has been a powerful empire for most of history, while German states were just weak shits in its sphere of influence
Somehow I get the idea you don't know much about how the HRE worked in the medieval.

The Dutch say 'rijk' for reich. For example France is called Frankrijk ('rijk' of the Franks)

>The Germans change their language all of the time,
Aha, like high medieval German to early modern German?

I do
It had a strong core (Austria) and a sphere of influence (current Germany)

same same in german, reich means a lot of different things and is context sensitive.

This. Free of context (German is often contextual, like with Mache) it means realm.

Austria didn't became really relevant until the 14th/15th century. during the high medieval it was largely unimportant.

>the absolute state of Veeky Forums

I seen recently a short program about the exact same question, it was said that there never was a first or second Reich, the third Reich being a nazi concept refering to what people say here, HRE and German Empire.

Fun fact, realm comes from the French word reaume.

Shut up retards

what is even your point? He is right from the start, Reich means both realm and empire

Bad translation, anyone who speaks german/dutch/scandinavian knows it doesnt mean empire.

And? It's etymologically historical. I wouldn't look into it too deeply.

And the translator also says realm=reich

Languages gradually change all the time, user.

This.
>Anglos ITT: let me tell you how your language works!!!

exactly, Austria in Norwegian is Osterriket (the Eastern Reich)
it makes no sense to translate it to Empire in that sense

and I looked it up, realm and reich are etymologically connected
both stemming from Latin rex (king/ruler/powers) which ultimately is a Celtic word

Is the word in anyway related to "reach." That's just what I've always assumed.

No, they are not. Reach (as in with your arm) is attestable in old English, with Germanic roots (ultimately PIE).

You may be confused by the "ch" which in English has a sound as in cheese, cheddar, chump, Charles, more from the teeth and front of the mouth. In German languages ch represents a throaty hissy H sound like in "loch", or JS Bach. In some German dialects (traditionally more in North Germany) it can be a K sound, as reflected in spellings of the Scandinavian languages, for example.

Austria's German name comes from 'Eastern kingdom/state/realm', as in Charlemagne's time, when it was the easternmost possession. Reich comes ultimately from PIE 'rule', which also meant straight (leading in a straight line, things to do to be on a 'straight' path). This is reflected in the fact that a "ruler" in English can mean a political leader, or a tool to draw/measure straight lines.

>Heiliges Romische REICH
>Zweites REICH
>Drittes REICH

There's not a single French commander listed in the invasion of Germany. Also DeGaulle was a typical arrogant selfish frog nationalist who turned his back on the countries who liberated his natoon.

Huh, I always thought the First Reich was Rome since the Nazis were such Romaboos.

Have you ever seen anyone as pathetic as an EU 'nationalist'?
It's like Germans have been forced to internalise their pride for so long, they can't show patriotism or else they could turn into NAZIS and as a result they have to express it through their shitty knock-off USA (that probably won't even exist in a decade), and take any slight towards it as a personal attack.
Take your salt back to r*ddit, Hans.

Only in terms of aesthetics, and for inspiring civilization in the barbarian forest tribes. It's not a German reich, though.

WRONG

Gr8 b8 m8.

Google translate knows better than a born-bilingual English/German speaker who studied and works in linguistics.

Not the guys you've been responding to - but do you know why Germany after the anchluss decided to rename Austria (Osterreich) To Ostmark if Reich simply means realm?

If you speak of a "Reich" in the political sense it's assumed that you mean either a "Kaiserreich" or a "Königreich", both of which have nouns in English (empire, kingdom), and "Reich" is merely a shortened version for convenience, especially if you speak of "das Reich". As a geographical term "Reich" means "realm" or "dominion", and if you say "Frankreich" you don't mean "the kingdom of the French", but the "dominion of the French" in the sense of "the area where the French are, regardless of their political system". Since states tend to stay in the same place, it's in no way remarkable that the political term implies a place, and that the geographical term implies the local political system.

It sends the message, that Österreich is not a separate place or system to the German Reich, but that the Österreicher belong to Germany both politically and ethnically. A "Mark" refers to an area at the border of a Reich. In the Middle Ages the "Markgraf" (margrave, "borderlands-Earl") was meant to protect the fringes of the Reich against invaders and was therefore granted certain military privileges. So after the Anschluss when Österreich became borderlands to a larger Reich, in accordance with the medieval tradition it only makes sense to make it a Mark.

In the Middle Ages all those were "regna", such as the "Lotharii regnum" ("Lothar's dominion/realm"). At that time rule was focused on the person, not a state in the modern sense, which is illustrated by the fact that Charlemagne's children and grandchildren simply renegotiated the breakdown of their realms several times. While Louis I "the Pious" was king, he sent his son Louis II "the German" to Bavaria to rule and manage the "regnum", however he wasn't called "king OF Bavaria", but "king IN Bavaria" since this was still his father's dominion.

Yes, that's right. The adjective"reich" means "rich". Now fuck off.