Was it autism?

Was it autism?

He's still right

How?

How is he wrong?

It's a very broad question; he was a human and capable of fault. I don't think he was right 100% of the time, but Classical texts from 5th through 3rd c. BCE represent an absolute high point in many areas. Plato is a notable part of that.

Could you elaborate on his theory on forms and his disdain for art and poetry? I think it's autistic but I'm willing to change my mind.

His ideal perfect city state is autistic as fuck, yes.

Okay, I am always happy to talk about Platonism. I believe that Plato and Aristotle represent the high point in many areas such as metaphysics and morality.

If you have a particular question about the forms, I'm all ears, but for now I can give a basic account of my metaphysics. As a Platonist, I believe there is being, and that being is divided into form and matter. Temporal objects are form and matter together.

Forms are incorporeal and eternal. Things like concepts, our consciousness, the self-moved or un-moved movers, these are all forms. If your question is, do the forms have independent existence from a hylomorphic entity, then yes they do. There is a debate about which forms, but both Plato and Aristotle would say that things like the Mover has existence despite being purely form.
As for Plato's disdain for art and poetry, Ion is a very short dialogue and speaks well to the point. Phaedrus also comes to mind, along with parts of the Republic & Laws.

If you just want me to give my understanding, the point is that a poet has an inferior understanding of the subject matter, and his representations are therefore inferior.

It is also a rejection of faith in mythology, which is one reason why Platonism is superior to Christianity. There are also practical concerns about the effect on the citizenry.

I believe such entertainers are generally low class and incapable of giving the best account of a thing.

" independent existence distinct from a hylomorphic entity,"

I wish this site would allow edits.

He was really full of himself

That pic makes no sense btw

Reminder that Socrates did not exist and middle Platonism and current neoplatonists butchered his teachings and were subjecting their own form of ideology which sends humans in a wanton spiral.He was the smartest man who ever lived this isn't debatable.

>Socrates did not exist
Explain

He didn't disdain art and poetry.why is Veeky Forums the most retarded board now
summer ruins everything

This.Plato warned about the states of which we are seeing today the hyper rationilism of scientism and subatomic specimen being merely used as grain of employers this "humanism" worldview of elitism is exactly what is destroying society.The human way is now a village with 8 billion people who cannot think.I laugh at those scholars today trying to quantify plato as an atheist.Heidegger was right when plato ended the page on philosophy but sadly most academics will devote their lives to denying this.

You didn't even read a word of plato huh

That's not a very good explanation

I have to say, I was starting to wonder if Socrates was simply a character used to demonstrate justice, virtue and soul from my own studies.

Knowing most Greeks wrote in play form, it makes sense that Socrates was a character, used to demonstrate philosophy to new thinkers.

Furthermore, the "Socrates left no writings"
which screams suspicion, if he was so revered, why did he write nothing down in a time when writing things down was popular.

>I wish this site would allow edits.
you know where you can go that does. a lovely little site called www.reddit.com

I can see where you're coming from with this

But people like Xenophon also praised him and he appears in stories by Aristophanes.

True enough, I haven't read Histories or Aristophanes writing yet, (cursory reading yes)
I wanted to read the texts myself and studied Ancient Greek for but until a figured out how many verbs there were, I guess that's what you get for not having a common grammar.

How to start with Plato?

Think tanks

Literally the complete works

Plato isn't the only source for Socrates.

>I believe that Plato and Aristotle represent the high point in many areas such as metaphysics and morality.

I prefer the Stoics, but Plato and Aristotle were clearly much better than anything post-Aquinas in the study of Ethics.

Plato was not the only one that wrote about Socrates. Others did as well, such as Xenophon.
The Stoics, for example, didn't follow Plato, were descendants of Antisthenes.

Where did this meme come from?