Can you show that what they say is wrong?

Can you show that what they say is wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fYTXRDtYzYc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He was pretty stupid, but then he wasn't remarkable in that regard. He was a pleb tier conquistador, nothing like based Cortes or Pizarro.

Columbus BTFO!

Fun fact: Columbus day celebrates the capital of Ohio, not Christopher Columbus.

I'm not watching the video, but if the thesis is that Columbus was a shitty/tyrannical governor of Hispaniola, disloyal to the crown
and a generally brutal person, it is right.

But I thought it has been mainstream to hate Columbus for some time now.

How are they wrong?

Literally everything in that video is correct.

Its been mainstream to hate Columbus Day for indig rights people, but actually examining the stupidity of Columbus the man is still pretty new.

I mean yeah, he was kind of a monster even divorced entirely from your personal feelings. He did everything for his own glory.

Plus, even if he never found the Caribbean, the Portuguese would've discovered Brazil regardless.

Except the Italian-American population, they still celebrate him since he was Italian.

>downplaying the achievements of a great man just because he murdered some niggers
>judging someone from the 1400s by today's standards

he was judge poorly then you double nigger

No because he murdered niggers against orders in order to advance himself. People shat on him in his own time.

he was a based Portuguese spy

Most Italian-Americans live in the city of Columbus.

Even in the 1400s they thought that he was a murderous idiot. He was kicked out of the Spanish court because people thought he was retarded and his governorship of Hispaniola was revoked because everyone was disgusted by his cruelty.

The natives drew first blood. You don't need to twist the truth and make Colombo seem even like an even worse person, it's still fucking genocide we're talking about.

I hate these kinds of videos. You can just tell they're aimed at normalfags and littered with subjectivity. No objective analysis at all.

Is that the teacher from the magic shoolbus?

If you watch those and don't follow it up with your own research then you are a normiefag anyway and it doesn't matter. The point of popularizers is to get people interested in the subject, or in this case to expose the widespread misinformation propagated by our terrible public school system.

She's clearly a parody of her, but not the actual character for copyright reasons.

at least they aren't shitting on based cortes

Combating misinformation with more misinformation isn't a good idea. I saw the video, the guy stated that the Earth being round in the 1400s was common knowledge just to discredit Columbus, which is a flat-out lie no matter how you look at it.

Not really a parody. They just gave her the design and that's it.

>I saw the video, the guy stated that the Earth being round in the 1400s was common knowledge just to discredit Columbus, which is a flat-out lie no matter how you look at it.

It's not a lie. The fucking Greeks figured it out a thousand years before Columbus drew breath, anyone educated at that time had read the works of Anaximander and others.

>which is a flat-out lie no matter how you look at it.
Anyone who had studied the Greeks would have known that the Earth was round. In that sense, it would have been common knowledge, at least among educated elite.

>Natives: What's gold?
>wears gold

He wasn't stupid. He was a very capable sailor. Which requiered mastering geometry,astrology and the like

The natives started hostilities murdering the Spanish settlement that Columbus death. The idea that natives were stolerant and cool people is just a dumb thing to jsutify a narrative.
Claiming that he didn't discover America because he never set foot on the US is stupid
Claiming he was dumb is stupid as most people that can't find a restaurant without google maps couldn't imagine how hard was to be a sailor back in the day

Being able to use a sextant and point out the north star is not mastering geometry or astronomy. He was a passable sailor for the time, and he wasn't even close to Henry the Navigator in terms of skill.

Columbus started hostilities by invading. He wasn't asked to come nor to land and colonize. Would you consider it okay if someone camped out in your backyard without your permission and decided to start building a house there?

He found out on his own how important the canary islands were to cross the ocean and was the first person to do an oceanic travel without bordering land,something that the Portuguese didn't do. He probably wasn't the best sailor but he was smart. You don't cath the attention of so many advisors and kings being dumb

He never invaded the islands. One ship sunked so he was force to leave part of his crew on the island for a year. All were death when he returned. I am sorry but the tainos had it coming

>America = USA
>Can we nuke normalfags?
Yes please.

>the guy stated that the Earth being round in the 1400s was common knowledge just to discredit Columbus, which is a flat-out lie no matter how you look at it.

How many levels of retard are you on? Educated people in Europe have known the world is round since Eratosthenes figured it out in the Hellenistic period.

Educated people isn't "common knowledge."

>you didn't discover the new world because there were already natives there
i hate when people say that. discovery is when you specifically learn and know something you didn't know before. he discovered it in the same way we discovered tobacco. we didn't know about it before and now we do, even if other people already knew it doesn't mean it wasn't discovery

If you lived by the sea you knew the earth was round

youtube.com/watch?v=fYTXRDtYzYc

> Columbus never set foot in America

Is this a joke? Do burguers unironically don't know that the howl continent is called America?

>
Also the word discovery in this context comes from portuguese 'descobrir' and spanish 'descubrir' which now indeed mean to discover, but back then when it was used (first time in portuguese in 1480's) it meant more like explore, it was used as an intransitive verb for instance, like "the king sent us to discover and to get back with good news"

The only people who care about Columbus are filthy wop scum.

God I hate Italians so much.

I'm Polish and we consider Columbus to be Polish.

this is your brain on /pol/ kids

Except it's a worldwide holiday you danm faggot.

I want North Korea to actually pull the trigger.

great argument

In other words, he is right.

Reminder that defending the Caribes is defending literal savage cannibals.

Reminder that the Mexicalis got out easy.

How could Columbus be Polish?

I think he meant Copernicus(Kopernik). Also there is a theory that Columbus was king Władysław III of Poland who changed his identity after Battle of Varna.

I've seen more than once a theory about Columbus being a native Spanish, and not actually an Italian.

>native Americans

Yeah nah, as a cultural group they are gone. That's just a bunch of tanned white people.

Everione knew Earth was round the problem was the size. Greeks were right but Toscanelli a mathematician though it was smaller. Columbus believed in him and though he could reach Asia.

They are retarded for sure but technically several caribbean islands are part of the USA today so the video is wrong in that too.

They're doubly retarded then.

>pronounces Taino as "Tay-no"
>not Tay-ee-no

>that part when he says that Columbus "never set a foot in America" because he moronically confuses America the continent with the the USA

Is this dude a literal retard?

As Spaniard I really hope was that way instead of like happened, h8 beaners

Moor detected.

Don't know lad, let's see where are the Mexicans ...

T. Al Mansur Habibirraman Esteban

>Gay thick rimmed glasses
>Snide nasal accent
>Shit gelled back hair
Easy way to tell someone is a complete fuckwit, the left version of wearing a NSDAP armband

>see the College Humor intro
>close the tab

Colombus was portuguese, tho.

>He was kicked out of the Spanish court because people thought he was retarded
Until the King bought him back, but I admit that I don't know why he did that.

Yeah but nobody believes that. Historians just like giving weird theoretically possible but not realistic theories. Don't think too much about it.

By all accounts that we have the Spanish drew first blood

Which account?
>Inb4 muh inocent nuhtives were defending themselves

Isn't there account written by a priest who saw this?

By the accounts of Columbus, Francisco de Bobadilla and Bartolome de las casas

Wrong, he was Hungarian

Indians did a false flag to force the help of the Spaniards to remove other indians in the island after Columbus leave in the first travel, Guacanagari said he dindu nuffin and the Spaniards kill other indians instead, also to keep the alliance

>Columbus never set foot in the modern day borders of The United States of America which didn't even exist until hundreds of years after his death, so he didn't discover america lol

By that logic, we all discovered America, since there was a time when we hadn't learned it existed.

No, he was retarded enough that the Portuguese crown refused his servisse, because Columbus couldn't possibly sail over the Atlantic to reach India. Every reasonable, learned person would know this, Columbus was just lucky that the New World was on his way or he would've turned back empty handed or died at sea like people that didn't suck at math thought he would.

>video made for americans uses america to refer to their country
What a shock.

He wiped out the entire native population of Hispanola. Not just disease, but violence unlike anything seen since Genghis Khan. Even the expansionist Spaniards were sickened. You're right, he was brought back though. Money talks.

Advisors and kings turned him away for being dumb, though, until he found his way into the Spanish court.

He is American. Of the USA. That's what they call their country in common parlance.

Not an excuse
I too use "America" to refer to the USA, but I can differenciate when that name is used for the US from when it refers to the continent

>Columbus didn't set foot on America
>showing that he set foot on South America
Are they fucking retarded?

Ohio's significance is known world wide.

The first blood was done by indians against the settlement of Navidad. Then Columbus went full monkey and enslaved and genocided a lot of natives until he was deposed in favour of Ovando. I know way more than you about the subject so just stop embarassing yourself

If I remember correctly the europeans invaded lands that didn't belong to them.

nobody care about Columbus day outside the USA.

>Worldwide
Do you believe this yourself?

So did the Mongols, Arabs, Romans, Greeks, Chinese and numerous other ethnic groups did with other lands.

That's why America belongs to the Amerindians.

And the Balkans are a Thracian land, not a Slavic one. Likewise, Iran is a Zoastian land, not Shia land and India is a Dravidian land, not Aryan. Shit happens and the victors in battles of history are the ones that are the rightful owners of a piece of land. It's unfair, but that's the way the world works.

*Zoroastrian

Why are you ignoring on purpose that everyone thinks he discovered the land that is now the country?

Lmao, who is "everyone"?

The natives didn't even think of land in the way that we see it. Saying how would you feel if someone built in your backyard is naive. They didn't have front or back yards.

The American people.

>because everyone was disgusted by his cruelty.
That is not true, no matter how many times you repeat it. Columbus lost favour in the Spanish court because they didn't realize what they had in the new world and gave Columbus rights that were too good.

So you accept the new mexican occupants?

One ship pf Columbus expedition sunk so some people were left in a settlement. None of them survived when Columbus arrived. Natives started hostilities

>falling for the "native Americans didn't Believe you could own land" meme

>The natives started hostilities murdering the Spanish settlement that Columbus death. The idea that natives were stolerant and cool people is just a dumb thing
Bit thats why i sympathise with the injuns

All wrong. Invading other's territory has consequences.

How is this ever even an argument? Mexicans haven't conquered the US, and literally never will.
Also, just because people say to get over things that are over and done with, like the conquest of the Americas, doesn't mean they think that white Americans should just give up and accept their new Mexican overlords, or that is is hypocritical of them not to think that way.
It's just a dumb thing I see too often here, and it annoys me.