Fact or fiction?

History teacher gave me a short assignment to start out the year: tell whether or not history is fact or fiction, and give five instances.

I'll write something about how different cultures interpret it different or something stupid, but what are some good instances to use?

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.dartmouth.edu/crusadememory/2016/05/29/the-image-of-saladin-in-the-arab-world/
www2.gwu.edu/~bygeorge/030403/clineedit.html
americanthinker.com/articles/2004/11/did_saddam_mimic_saladin.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>inb4 underage
Fuck you I'm an 18yo high school senior

>Fact or fiction
Time to drop the ultimate redpill.

>tfw my teacher literally called himself "the token jew on campus" yesterday because he's the only jewish staff member
>tfw we cover the holocaust for the majority of the year
Yeah good idea, really good idea
Any other suggestions from people that aren't /pol/? I gotta hit the sack in like 30min and his class is first

Oh man now you really have to drop the holohoax on him. If he's Jewish he probably already knows it's bullshit.

You gave me a good idea, I talked about historical revisionism. I need three more examples of revisionism now besides "holocaust" and "holdomor"

Crusades
Mongols
Colonialism
Kangz

I did "greeks≠nordic" and "egyptians≠sub-saharan" was almost tempted to use the verb "wuz"

Give me some specific examples for those other three

this isn't the point of the assignment you dunce.

the point of this assignment is to get you thinking critically about history and epistemology. some historians (and related social scientists/theorists in general) see history's claim to reconstructing the past, no matter how careful its methods, to be unattainable, asserting rather that history constructs the past as we in the present think it to be.

if you want to call history fact, you have to come up with five examples of like consensus, i guess, where you'd talk about the death tolls of battles or dates of events or something.

if you want to talk of it as fiction, you'd find five examples of how national pride made people distort their image of the past or how a certain theoretical or political impulse of a certain time made people recast history.

but you're focusing on narrative in this case, not on "fudging the facts." the point your history teacher is almost surely trying to make is that the same facts can be interpreted differently. holocaust denial is based on a suppression of germane facts and is also the stupidest fucking "red pill" to take since it makes you a frothing moronic ideologue and also is definitely going to earn you some form of reprimand in the context of that fucking nazi rally that happened LESS THAN A WEEK AGO in this country, you stupid bastard

He literally won't read it, and if he does then he'll probably just accept it for shunning holocaust denial
They don't look at this shit too much. Did you go through high school?

What exactly does your teacher want? Historical trivia that's so outrageous that it's nonsensical?

I have no idea so I took the pandering route. Wrote about shit like the shortcomings of pre/interwar nazi germany (remilitarization of the rhineland, anschluss, sudeten crisis, etc) as well as their reliance on war economy.

I'm not disagreeing with anything I wrote but I still guess it's considered pandering

If you want historical trivia that sounds crazy to the point of being unbelievable, I got plenty of that.

If you want an example of a national myth being distorted into fact by the powers that be and its disastrous consequences, French revanchism over Alsace-Lorraine and Saddam Hussein's attempts to associate himself with Saladin are often ignored examples.

>Saladin
>Kurdish
>Saddam hated Kurds
wdhmbt
(and more specifically what sources do you have about this cause i'm super curious about how he spun this and i've never heard this before)

Saddam Hussein arranged to have his official birthplace changed to Saladin's hometown of Tikrit (he was actually born in Al-Awja) and styled himself as Saladin's successor, fighting Western "Crusader" influence supposedly corrupting the Muslim world.

sites.dartmouth.edu/crusadememory/2016/05/29/the-image-of-saladin-in-the-arab-world/

www2.gwu.edu/~bygeorge/030403/clineedit.html

americanthinker.com/articles/2004/11/did_saddam_mimic_saladin.html

very cool thanks for links i'll check this out

How the Christians slaughtered millions of innocent muslims during the Crusades or whatever horseshit they teach in schools.

How the Mongols were paragons of virtue because they were diverse and gave women rights and were 'tolerant' of other religions, despite the fact they weere the bloodiest conquerers in history. Google "Mongol skull Pyramids"

How the Europeans committed """""""Genocide""""""" against the natives.

Update: teacher also wanted an "identity flowchart" so I just wrote down my 23andme results as well as my interest in Israeli surplus firearms (pic related is my VZ98N Mauser and Jericho) because he's Jewish and I figured there'd be a connection there
Is that autistic?

Don't do the holocaust. You may be able to build an interesting case for it, but its not worth the potential fallout you'll get. There are other, far less controversial examples.

No he literally only talks about the holocaust from what I've heard, he even told us on the first day that half his family died in it and that's why he got into history to figure out why it happened the way it did. He'll be very happy to have a Veeky Forums student this year

Good night
>captcha: "WRBOO" -charles ii of spain

And you want to risk pissing this guy off?

Show him pregnant Anne Frank hentai and tell us whether or not his head explodes from uncontrollable rage.

Why are Arabs so infatuated with this Kurd?

This is a good question.

Easiest one is the Ottoman empire. Turks want you to think it was Turkish but it was just a Albanian-Macedonian Commonwealth wich turned muslim.

Alright boys he fucking loved it, my voice started to crack when I pronounced LITERALLY EVERY GERMAN WORD WRONG in front of everyone but I could tell he knew I knew my shit. Turns out all along he wanted us to see how our identities influence our perspectives which is why we did this

Smallpox in the New World

An easy example is the doctored images from the Sovjet Union

First Stalin was standing next to all of the bad hombres of the revolution
Then Trotski got out of favour and was doctored out, from both images and books
Then the next guy
And the next guy
Eventually the images just show Stalin standing by himself

A good example of editing history I think