Is morality a social construct?

Is morality a social construct?

what else even could it be

The commands of God.

It's what separates humans from beasts.
A lizard would eats its young and wouldn't give a shit if the next door neighbor watched.

Morals literally means "customs" (Latin mórés)

They're constructed rules that govern daily life in society. I don't like the term "social construct" because it implies falsehood or some sort of conspiracy. Humans are born with the instinct to conform to rules, just like every other animal is born with instinctual behavior, difference is we can construct and learn new rules to some extent

yes
that doesn't mean they're not real or that they shouldn't be taken seriously though

>I don't like the term "social construct" because it implies falsehood or some sort of conspiracy.

Yeah, if you're a /pol/tard. It's a completely normal term.

You can't verify the existence of God, so how can you assume that morality is derived from divine commands?

Even if God commanded it, Man still constructed it

>This

Just because something is subjective or relative, does not mean that it is without value.

Morality via divine command seems arbitrary when you consider the Euthyphro Dilemma

I think customs and traditions would be social constructs but not morality. For example, some tribes may cannibilize but it is always wrong to kill others that you don't consider food. Or another example, a man may be able to take as many wives as he can but it is always wrong to take another's wife. If morality is a social construct then it's just a fad that will pass and they're not really wrong but if we have an objective standard then use that as a gauge for actions and judging then won't depend on our feelings.

Research has shown that most primates have a set of rules along they behave in their social group, this could be the origins of morals.
Fun fact, primates and human children almost behave the same.

yeah sure that's why religions keep on whoring themselves by progressively abandoning their stances about family, gays, money,....... sure is a direct statement from god lol

"You cannot derive an ought from an is"

Just because something is natural does not mean it is "good". It is fallacious to think that objective morality is "natural law".

Yes. Being moral means nothing more than "behaving as someone wants me to behave". Prove me wrong.

No one will be able to.

"Morality" is found only in social contracts.

It is not objective morality, but a set of basic behavior rules that seem to be part of the programming of social living primates. Like what they perceive to be good behavior and bad behavior. For example there seems to be a certain degree of altruism within a social group, and this does make sense for animals living in social groups.
It is highly likely that humans have the same base programming given our heritage. This does not make for complex morals, but for example "stealing is bad" and "unjustified killing is wrong" seems to be some of those basic rules, and thats why you find them in so many moral codes around the world.
>biology fucking over moral philosophy once more

Moral codes only exist insofar as it refers to people enacting them, hence it must be a social construct.

Nigga he just said it could be the origin of morals, calm yourself.

Whoa there, nigger, are you sure this is the discussion for you?

Why are those things objectively wrong? Prove it

Pro tip: you can't

It sounded as though he was making a point about the natural law, and I respectfully disagreed with him. I never insulted him.

Morality is both a product of human psychology and biology. I completely agree with you.

I disagree that biology is destroying moral philosophy. Ethicism does not hinge on the metaphysics of morality.

Fair point, what I meant was biological origins of morals in contrast to allegedly supernatural origin of morals.

Like some others said: it has a biological basis, and otherwise depends on the environment, both social and otherwise

most people would feel bad about killing a puppy so yeah i guess its somewhat ingrained into the human psyche

Yes it is, but what a social construct means however is continuously strawmanned as meaning that anything goes.

Actually it's liberal that use the terms as if it means falsehood. Right-wingers don't use those terms at all as their use is associated with liberals.