en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_work#Classical_world
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalanda
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thank cezer and Alex for that

*Thank the passage of time for that
ftfy

>ftfy
back to rebbit with, ye

Alexander the Great helped preserve huge amounts of classical texts, you ignorant fuck. Not to mention there was no library to speak of till the reign of Ptolemy I, 25 years after Alex's death

If it makes you feel better, think about Sturgeon's Law. What we were left is pretty much guaranteed to be part of the 10%.

this

only the fittest texts survive

>tfw Claudius works about the Etruscan language are lost

thank mudslimes and their wanton destruction of books for that

Thanks Christianity.

name ONE significant classical text that was lost without even a single surviving passage.

i’ll wait.

The burning of the Library of Alexandria is overhyped reddit dribble and the fact that you think it had the impact that it did shows how little you actually know. Go read a book.

the ones that weren't even mentioned in the surviving texts perhaps

I'm not going to answer that because it is too easy for you to move the goal-posts for "significant" but there are certainly many works that historians would greatly love to get their hands on because they would certainly help to "fill in the gaps" in our knowledge about many ancient figures.

>Burning the library of a major educational hub doesn't have any effect

99% of them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_work#Classical_world

There are hundreds of classical texts on this page alone.

Sappho's poetry
>but that's not significant!
Define significant

>Lives of famous whores by Suetonius
why even live

Most of Aristarchus of Samos works are gone.

Would we value Aeschylus as highly if we had 90 plays by him rather than 7?

>Name me the works you don't know
t.brainlet

It's possible to know lost works exist by surviving works referencing it.

muslims*

I dislike Islam a lot but blaming Alexandria on them is plain wrong.

>a
>fucking
>bird

when and where did muslims destroy classical texts before the 21st century?

the translators of baghdad were highly involved in preserving, editing and commenting on classical greek texts.

>implying Alexandria was the only one they burned

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalanda
>Nalanda university’s library was one of the biggest library of the world at that time. It had large collections of books, manuscripts. It was called as Dharma Gunj (Mountain of Truth) or Dharmagañja (Treasury of Truth). Library was divided into three buildings- Ratnasagara, Ratnadadhi and Ratnaranjaka. Among these buildings, Ratnasagara was nine storied building. The library did not only have religious manuscripts but it also contained large collection of books on literature, astrology, astronomy, and medicine. Vastness of the library can be understood from the fact that it took three months to burn down when invaders set fire to it.

>when and where did muslims destroy classical texts before the 21st century?

>he thinks it was the only library in town or the world

Maybe you should try actually reading what people post instead of trying to shove words down their throat like a little faggot.

fair point about nalanda, i didn't know that story. one event doesn't make me believe that muslims in general were somehow the single greatest destroyers of ancient texts, somehow assigning a unified destructive consciousness to an extremely diverse group of people separated in time by many centuries spanning from the umayyads to turkish slave dynasties in india. most texts were quite simply lost over time because people didn't care enough to copy and preserve them.

the library of alexandria was destroyed hundreds of years before islam existed and even then probably very little was actually lost because copies of the works existed in other major libraries (the same is probably true for nalanda) the legends that it was destroyed again by muslim conquerors are disbelieved by most historians since they first appear hundreds of years after the supposed event.

>mfw

>He thinks that the library and not the intelletual desire to preserve and seek knowledge is important
If Christians could kill a famous mathetician in cold blood as part of a political struggle with no punishment, why act susprised the library fell into disrepair and eventually burnt

My diary desu

All thanks to leftist niggers

Hortentius by Cicero (St. Augustine was inspired by it and was widely praised... but no passage whatsoever is left).

All the plays of the "Middle Comedy."

Most Greek tragedies.

The Babylonians by Aristophanes.

The problem is that an accumulation of documents sponsored by a state meant that making those copies you talk about much easier. Specially if we're talking about a significant amount of copies. So burned library = less copies = less documents for historians, and this means that your argument of copies making the burning of libraries more acceptable is void and senseless. Ubderstand that islam doesn't play a role in anything I posted in this message.

>Not realizing they still exist in the Library of Babel
Hows it feel knowing you're a fucking pleb

you mean muslims you uneducated drone

>few if not most of the first copies of Euclid's Elements was burned in the Library of Alexandria