Art History

I'll post some of my favorite pieces and their stories.

David with the Head of Goliath - Caravaggio

Goliath's head in this painting is a self portrait of the artist.

Other urls found in this thread:

closertovaneyck.kikirpa.be/#home/sub=teaser
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

La Pieta - Michelangelo

He sculpted this as a teenager. No one believed him so he snuck into the Vatican one night and carved his name on the sash on Mary's chest. When he got older he said he regretted it.

That is actually really interesting.

Susanna and the Elders - Artemisia Gentileschi

Artemisia was known for not romanticizing scenes from the bible. The picture on the right is an xray of the final painting. This was her original vision for the piece.

best portrait ever

Judith Beheading Holofernes - Artemisia Gentileschi and Caravaggio

Another example of the realism of Artemisia's paintings. The left is Caravaggio's rendition of the same scene.

Didn´t she gave her rapist´s face to Holofernes?

Yep. Judith is a self portrait of herself.

Love this piece, I've heard that story as well. In person it's just as beautiful, but when I was there it was hard to get close enough to see where the inscription was. Also, at one point in the last few decades a madman came in and started hacking away at it with an axe. Now there's a barrier.

I always liked most the detail of the cloth, his ability to make stone look soft always impressed me.

Obligatory Ilya Repin's "Ivan the Terrible and His Son Ivan" on November 16th, 1581 (1885).

This piece was always very emotional for me, especially the expression on Ivan's face.

Ivan the terrible was known as a mad tsar, he wasn't called "the terrible" for nothing. Some say the dude was actually clinically insane and was well known to be prone to violent outbursts. One night, after an argument with his most loved son and heir (for good reason on the son's part, Ivan had recently caused a miscarriage of his wife by beating her while she was pregnant), in a fit of rage he struck him in the head with his scepter, which he immediately regretted but which ultimately would cause his death.

Of course the less liked son would eventually inherit the throne, and after that one died leaving no heirs, Russia entered the time of troubles where 1/3rd of the population died in famine (~2 million people).

My favorite sculpture by Bernini

Incredible painting, quite possibly the most metal piece of artwork before the 20th century.

Always hits me right in the feels.

Wow, powerful.

The Swing by Fragonard
>You will never be a nobleman that commissions the highest quality ecchi

I love the aesthetic of Rococo.

Madame de Pompadour - Francois Boucher

whoops forgot image

Caravaggio is just on another level. The very Baroque deep light-dark contrast is fucking amazing.

war cripples by Otto Dix. Was destroyed by the nazis.

Revolting painting. Though I can't justify the same conclusion, I see why they reached it.

Pretty sure he was in his twenties not a teenager

>Revolting painting.
kinda the point lad

Im so jealous. There are so many beautiful pieces in the Vatican I have to see before I die.

I really like this painting. I'm an art pleb, but I'm a sucker for Apocalyptic scenes like this and

>a picture about the horrors of war is revolting
imagine

A trip to the Vatican is always worth it, it's the most beautiful place I've ever seen with my own eyes.

The Fall of the Damned - Peter Paul Rubens

Archangel Michael throwing the bodies of the damned into hell. Not really apocalyptic but has the same feeling.

Sadly someone threw acid on this piece back in the 50's and destroyed it.

Forgot the picture again lol

I saw this one in Madrid, it's Saturn eating his child

Fransisco Goya is pretty good

Did you ever go into the catacombs? A friend of mine has been to the Vatican a few times and I guess if you e-mail them a few months in advance you can get a tour of it.

very pretty

unpopular opinion: picaso is overrated and probably a fraud

anything jheronimus bosch related is good too
i remember seeing this really big painting with christians and jesus (i think) looking over this city at night with the palace being golden and glowing

oops file

Jean-Leon Gerome's Diogenes.
I like this piece really because it really captures the "simple living" aspect of the Cynics and I'm a sucker for paintings of philosophers.

Agreed. If he actually had a style that was abstract, yet skillful like Goya or Dali. Most of his paintings are things people could draw easily 90% of the time. His earliest work is his best for the most part.

Cynics don't live simply; they live against social norms. If it were fashionable to live like a hobo cynics would strive to live as extravagantly as possible.

the vatican didn't even exist back then as it does today. rome belonged to the pope. plus he did it on commission by a french cardinal

>abstract, yet skillful like Goya or Dali.
Neither Goya nor Dali made abstract art.
>Most of his paintings are things people could draw easily 90% of the time.
Having been drawing as an amateur for quite some time, I have to say that I'd kill to be able to draw like Picasso. Pic related. I could never do something so elegant, effortless but effective.
>His earliest work is his best for the most part.
His earliest work is very boring, but I guess that looking realistic is all that a piece of art has to be...

Why is she holding her fingers like that

Artemisia Gentileschi... had a hard life.

Awfuly Jewish and ugly. Good ridance

Masonic signalling

I'm not a huge fan of Picaso myself. I feel like most things after impressionism isn't great.

Sorry I kind of had an orientalist phase going on last year but this is a close up of Light of the Harem by Frederic Leighton. I really appreciate the angles. I can post the full version too. just give me a sec.

Okay, I don't want to get into touchy subjects, but was she, like, raped raped or Medieval raped?
Because what it sounds like is that she was suckered into having sex in exchange for a promised marriage that the guy reneged on

You mean antiquity?
With abduction/ elopement because it was without the father's permission?

Yeah, because her rapist was a tenant of her father's, and he and Artemisia apparently had, as far as I can tell, a mutual relationship after the first sexual encounter, until he failed to marry her. Upon which, her father charged him with breech of promise or rape.
I'm not trying to say she wasn't raped, but I'm just wondering if it was rape as we'd know it

If we look in terms of those laws in that day, yes she would still be "raped" but if we compared it to our laws (where rape is lack of consent from a participant regardless of marriage arrangements or what his/her father says) then no. Still we don't know exactly what went down between them, and we never will so it's hard to say.

That picture should be upside down.

I'm just wondering, because it sounds like a similar story to Rembrandt's mistress, Geertje Dircx, who is never referred to as being raped. Different countries, but the breech of promise bit is similar

perhaps this is better for you
Otto Dix - The Trench

desu I like pre-modernism stuff as much as the next guy but I always enjoyed what came after impressionism much more. Hard to compare though since it's like comparing Mozart to Stravinsky

Speaking of Caravaggio, this is his first attempt at St. Matthew's inspiration from an angel. It was dismissed for presenting the saint as too crude and unwise. It was destroyed in an allied bombing

And here is number two.

Also, the original was destroyed by a fire, not a bombing

I've been searching for the name of this painting for awhile. Thanks user.

It's a shame how much art is destroyed by wars and people wanting to erase history.

>It's a shame how much art is destroyed by wars and people wanting to erase history.
is painted on the wall of a cathedral that was converted into an "atheism museum" by the Soviet Union. As far as I know it wasn't damaged, but considering what the Bolsheviks did to Orthodox worship, it's a spooky thought what could have happened to it

This is your brain on Classicism

>but that's wrong you fucking idiot

Sorry, wrong picture. This is your brain on Classicism*
This is your brain on Hellenisticism

*This is a snip, go to Wikipedia for >4MB goodness

I wasn't calling you an idiot, that's just the face the guy is making
>if this nigga don't shut the fuck up

This is a fresco by a pre high renaissance artist named Andrea del Castagno. There are several interesting notes about this Fresco including some that will affect Leonardo's depiction of it in the future, like how Judas sits on the opposite side of the table from the other disciples, a common motif per Leonardo.

What I like best about this, however, is how the artist uses this scene to show off his prowess as a painter, which is also common in renaissance works and art in general. Note the elaborate reproductions of different marbles behind the scene, and how the swirling, tempestuous pattern surrounds the point of highest drama.

Del Castagno is most famous, however, for being the subject of a morality tale by Vasari. In his Lives, Vasari uses del Castagno to show how ambition can lead to deadly jealousy among artists in the highly competitive Renaissance Florence.

In the tale, the wicked, and inferior, Castagno murders Domenico Veneziano, a superior artist, out of jealousy. However, history vindicates Andrea, as he died some four years earlier than Domenico, and was thusly incapable of murdering anyone.

What is the style of marble sculpting called in which the artist sculpts a see-through cloth over the body?

Wet drapery

I find it fascinating how Renaissance masters took up carving statues to be presented blank. It makes sense, since they dug up blank statues from antiquity, whose paint had worn off.
What I'd like to know is if they would have realized that those statues were originally painted or not? You might want to instinctively say no, but then you remember that polychrome statues survived antiquity through the middle ages. They even continued after the renaissance, though Marbles were rarely painted, polychromy being mainly restricted to wood sculpture. So one may have been able to deduce that these ancient statues were originally painted as well. Another hint towards this is the compensatory measure taken by the renaissance artists when carving for blank marbles. This measure is the sculpting of pupils. The ancient statues had no carved pupils, as they were painted, but renaissance marbles had sculpted pupils.

What have I done?

What have I become?

The eyes give the picture true pathos.

Love the story in general. I love the Aeneid Here's a roman fresco of Aeneas being healed

The hand is probably returning from having loosened her shoe so the guy will pick it up. Gives him an excuse to put it on her later.

Gwen John was a welsh artist, sister of the more famous, during their lifetimes, Augustus John, a famous philanderer.
Gwen has a lovely, unique style that abounds with a sublime sensibility.
Gwen was also a crazy person who spent some time living in an abandoned residence, and also had a fling with Auguste Rodin, after which she grew so crazily obsessed with him, that he was forced to avoid her.

It seems Rodin was drawn to crazy bitches

Thabks. Time to fap.

detail from Fallen Angel by Alexandre Cabanel

Here, have a very yellowed whole

Hubrecht van Eyck is a sad case. He was the brother of the much more famous Jan van Eyck, the man, falsely, credited with inventing European oil painting, despite it having been around in Europe since the 12th century, at least, who has at times been attributed some of the best passages in het Lam Gods and at others, claimed to be none existent.

Today, we recognize Hubrecht as non-fictitious, though non represented. We have no idea what he painted, when, or for whom, with the exception of het Lam Gods, the Ghent Altarpiece in Saint Bavo's, with the possibility of the three Marys at the Tomb, which is usually attributed to Jan, despite. It is generally agreed that Hubrecht came up with the general design and layout of the Ghent Altarpiece, though it is unknown if he managed to lay out his composition on panel, or if his work was purely speculative. Some have claimed that the underdrawing of the Ghent Altarpiece shows Hubrecht's work, ie round windows, where gothic ones replace them in the final, but this remains uncertain. Speculative dendrochronology claims that the panels themselves are too young to be by Hubrecht.

It may be deduced that Hubrecht was possibly a clergyman in addition to painter, and his works may have been nearly entirely composed of large devotionals, as the Ghent Altarpiece was the only work of Jan van Eyck to be of such a type, i.e. a large polyptych meant for public devotion. Jan, being primarily a portraitist/maker of private devotionals, diptychs and the like. This means that Hubrecht's work may have been largely destroyed by the Beeldenstorm, the Protestant iconoclasm of Dutch Church art. Hubrecht represents something important to the history and research of the Dutch Renaissance, he along with Robert Campin show that Jan van Eyck was not a sudden flash of unprecedented brilliance, but part of a line of ever advancing artistic technique developing in the north. Maybe one day, we'll know him as Jan did, as, "maior quo nemo repertus."

It looks like I've misremembered: the initial pass of the Angel Annunciate panel shows a Gothic style sculpture surrounding the scence, like something that would enclose a Miniature scene in a manuscript. It was replaced by a more naturalistic setting, that of a domestic roof. This was the change people claim Jan made to Hubrecht, though, it's also just as likely that Jan made the initial pass and changed his own work.
Take a closer look at Jan and Hubrecht's magnum opus in ever possible detail here:

closertovaneyck.kikirpa.be/#home/sub=teaser

terracotta was done in polychrome as well.

Before reading your comments, I initially thought that Judas was Jesus and only the 12 disciples were the ones wearing the halos. I was actually surprised how can something so apocyphal could exist in that time.

A better artist could make it revolting without making it revolting to look at.

Oh, yes, my sir, our exquisite sensibilities should not be offended by such vile "art"!

Let's start making music that's just uncomfortable high pitched shrieking, food that tastes like garbage and perfume that smells like shit. Wait that's a stupid idea? No you don't get it you silly brainlet it's awful on PURPOSE so that makes it okay silly retard!

If you want to make parallels, you could compare the picture to dissonant and lo-fi music or bitter food just as well. Not everything has to be nice, pretty and sugary.
It seriously isn't a particularly revolting picture. Far, far more radical things have been done in the meantime.

It should not be in a thread next to quality art. There is definitely worse but it's still worth less than the materials used to make it.

In your opinion.

Wow everything is an opinion so nothing matters. I guess I'll just spam my mspaint drawings because they're good in my opinion.

It's an art history thread, not "pictures that don't trigger me" thread.

Mirin' calves. St. Mat's fucking jacked.

Don't post garbage and expect people not to complain.

>desperately grounded in aestheticism.

I've listened in a docu that Goya started to lose his mind by the time he was painting this

Pic related is a Repin painting depicting a group of cossacks writing a letter to the sultan Sultan Mehmed IV, basically asking him to gtfo
>Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!
O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil shits, and your army eats. Thou shalt not, thou son of a whore, make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, fuck thy mother.
Thou Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw thine own mother!
So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!
- Koshovyi otaman Ivan Sirko, with the whole Zaporozhian Host.

Fuck off man, and stop shitting up the thread

>It should not be in a thread next to quality art
You, of course, are familiar with aesthetic philosophy and art theory and can easily determine what is good and bad art objectively.

do you like this better?

>I can't provide any arguments for objective evaluation of art so I'll post a strawman instead
Ok

Netherlandish Proverbs is a 1559 oil-on-oak-panel painting by the Flemish artist Pieter Bruegel the Elder that depicts a scene in which humans and, to a lesser extent, animals and objects, offer literal illustrations of Dutch language proverbs and idioms.

Running themes in Bruegel's paintings are the absurdity, wickedness and foolishness of humans, and this is no exception. The painting's original title, The Blue Cloak or The Folly of the World, indicates that Bruegel's intent was not just to illustrate proverbs, but rather to catalog human folly. Many of the people depicted show the characteristic blank features that Bruegel used to portray fools.

A lot of these proverbs are still in use today in The Netherlands, Belgium and France.

I'd love this for wallpaper, Otto Dix WWI stuff is god tier

The Tower of Babel was the subject of three paintings by Pieter Bruegel the Elder. The first, a miniature painted on ivory, was painted while Bruegel was in Rome and is now lost. The two surviving paintings, often distinguished by the prefix "Great" and "Little", are in the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna and the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam respectively. Both are oil paintings on wood panels.

The paintings depict the construction of the Tower of Babel, which, according to the Book of Genesis in the Bible, was built by a unified, monolingual humanity as a mark of their achievement and to prevent them from scattering: "Then they said, 'Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves; otherwise we shall be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.'" (Genesis 11:4).

>I don't understand what 'expression' is

Of course not, autist.

My expression is farting in your mouth.

Your garbage opinions on art shouldn't be posted next to quality aesthetic arguments.

BRAAAP

Are you done?

You are in the calm before the storm.