Why is the Bronze Age so fascinating?

Seriously, there's something otherworldly about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/146195710100400102
oxalid.arch.ox.ac.uk/casestudy/casestudy.html
researchgate.net/publication/286876867_A_strange_lead_isotopic_signature_the_Funtana_Coberta-Ballao_hoard_Sardinia
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305440313002689
academia.edu/12825051/2014_Gli_itineranti_del_naufragio_del_millennio_._Gli_Shardana_i_popoli_del_mare_e_la_Sardegna._Omaggio_a_Giovanni_Lilliu_Testo_e_immagini_intervento_letto_
eprints.uniss.it/5034/1/DeRosa_B_Sant_Imbenia_Alghero_SS.pdf
academia.edu/25043621/DALLA_MINERALOGIA_ALLA_METALLURGIA_CONTRIBUTO_ALLO_STUDIO_DEI_METODI_TRADIZIONALI_DI_LAVORAZIONE_DEI_METALLI_FRA_ARCHEOLOGIA_E_ETNOARCHEOLOGIA
academia.edu/29053155/Ripensando_i_contatti_fra_Sardegna_e_Penisola_Iberica_all_alba_del_I_millennio_a.C._Vecchie_e_nuove_evidenze
academia.edu/2061542/Metallurgy_in_Italy_between_the_Late_Bronze_Age_and_the_Early_Iron_Age_the_Coming_of_Iron
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bronze doesn't corrode, so wouldn't they eventually accumulate massive amounts of bronze?

>I'M FUCKING INVINCIBLE

cause the Bronze Age Collapse upended the trajectory of humanity and caused the relatively sudden end of many civilizations
and it was fairly advanced, yet farther back than antiquity

>bronze age
>ended when the bronze ran out

didn't that actually happen though? the bronze supply was too large and people took to actively burying it to lower the supply? Something I read about Ireland I think

First big use of metal

are we currently in the Plastic Age?

>Celtic customs
>Scandinavia

Nice wewuwzing, Bjorn

Oil age/ petrochemical age.
Ain't just a crafting material but also a source of energy, medicine and even food. We are so utterly fucked if we don't change course.

Aluminum age would better fit

>Oil Age Collapse incoming

well, we had a good run

Silicon Age

Why do you bash nords, what had they done to you?

WE IRISH WUZ KANGZ LIKE DA ROMANZ, DEM NORDS BE WEWUZZIN US TOO!!

>meanwhile in 3200AD Veeky Forums

Why is the Petrochemical age so fascinating? Seriously, there's something otherworldly about it.

Pick one

So much that came later was prefigured in the Bronze Age. It's alien and distant but at the same time contains so much that is familiar.

Do I get to be a native? If so, Meluhha, otherwise I'll take my chances with Egypt.

Where?

>to the people of antiquity pre-bronze age collapse civilization was as distant and alien to them as they are to us

We already had that age desu

I dunno, user. Even with the changing ages, technologies, empires, people are always kinda the same, drinking in bars with their buddies from work, shooting the shit, etc...

pic related, its roman graffiti very similar to shit you'd see on this site. Near the bottom are some nice feels.

The mythology and larger than life characters

>look at all these memes they made!

I doubt it, 1980 felt a lot further away in 2000 than 2000 feels from 2017. We just have so much data that it's outright redundant and it almost makes it feel like time isn't moving anymore.

>drinking in bars
>bronze age

Lol, also comparing those graffiti to Veeky Forums is idiotic

Copper was in too short supply for that. The only mass producer of copper in this age and into the Archaic and Roman periods was Cyprus, who's name derives from Kúpros, the greek word for copper.

Taverns serving beer literally existed in ancient Mesopotamia.

>comparing those graffiti to Veeky Forums is idiotic
They're anonymous shitposts on public display, I'd say Veeky Forums comparison is very apt.

>not cloud age or meme age

Wrong: copper was abundant in Sardinia and Spain during the bronze age and in fact those islands traded all the time

>spain
>islands

Care to rephrase that?

Sardinia was not known for producing significant copper until the Roman period and the vast majority of all ingots found there during the Nuralgic period come from Cypriot ore.

journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/146195710100400102

>Most ingot fragments have a lead isotope signature similar to those of Cypriot copper ores

oxalid.arch.ox.ac.uk/casestudy/casestudy.html

>However, the lead isotope analyses of samples of oxhide ingots from all geographical locations, including Sardinia, show quite clearly that copper ingots of this shape were only made of Cypriot copper, mainly from the Apliki region (Stos-Gale et al 1997, Stos-Gale and Gale 1991, Gale 1999 and 2006). The plots of lead isotope ratios of the Sardinian ores and the ores from Apliki mines on Cyprus, and the copper oxhide ingots found on Sardinia illustrate this result.

There are surface copper deposits all around the world. Hence why I qualified my statement with "significant". Cyprus supplied almost all of the western world's known copper until the end of the Roman era.

The bronze age lasted 3000 years, so if you imagine a year's production of bronze and multiply that by 3000, either you get an enormous amount of bronze or they were producing miniscule quantities.

Bronze tools were scraped and worn down over time I guess.

>>Nordic bronze age customs
>>Scandinavia
fixed

Not much more than people accumulating massive amounts of gold. Bronze was luxurious.

A recent study has established that some of those oxhide ingots were made of Sardinian copper:

researchgate.net/publication/286876867_A_strange_lead_isotopic_signature_the_Funtana_Coberta-Ballao_hoard_Sardinia

By the way I wasn't even talking about oxhide ingots, oxhide ingots were a peculiar type of ingots which originated in Cyprus, no shit that most of them were made with Cypriot copper, I was talking about copper and copper ingots in general, copper tools and ingots (non oxhide ones) made with Sardinian copper were found in and outside in Sardinia since 3300 bc

Another recent study established most of the copper used for swords during the bronze age in Scandinavia came from Sardinia and Spain, this happened since 1600 bc:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305440313002689

Tools made with Sardinian copper were also found in the Eastern Mediterranean and Levant since the bronze age:

academia.edu/12825051/2014_Gli_itineranti_del_naufragio_del_millennio_._Gli_Shardana_i_popoli_del_mare_e_la_Sardegna._Omaggio_a_Giovanni_Lilliu_Testo_e_immagini_intervento_letto_

Ingots made with Sardinian copper are abundant in the Western Mediterranean during the late bronze age and early iron age, both in Sardinian settlements and outside the island, and several amphorae containing copious amounts of Sardinian copper were found in many sites and sanctuaries, such as the sanctuary of S'arcu e is forros, where multiple melting furnaces were excavated

eprints.uniss.it/5034/1/DeRosa_B_Sant_Imbenia_Alghero_SS.pdf
academia.edu/25043621/DALLA_MINERALOGIA_ALLA_METALLURGIA_CONTRIBUTO_ALLO_STUDIO_DEI_METODI_TRADIZIONALI_DI_LAVORAZIONE_DEI_METALLI_FRA_ARCHEOLOGIA_E_ETNOARCHEOLOGIA
academia.edu/29053155/Ripensando_i_contatti_fra_Sardegna_e_Penisola_Iberica_all_alba_del_I_millennio_a.C._Vecchie_e_nuove_evidenze

So stop talking out of your ass

Also aside from Spain and Sardinia, copper from the Sinai Peninsula and the red sea region was mined and exported as far as Western Europe: researchgate.net/publication/286876867_A_strange_lead_isotopic_signature_the_Funtana_Coberta-Ballao_hoard_Sardinia
was mined and exported as far as Western Europe

So saying that Cyprus was the only source of copper is just wrong

So they had: Cyprus, Anatolia, The Sinai Peninsula and others regions along the red sea coasts, Sardinia and Spain to get copper from

>Seriously, there's something otherworldly about it.

19th century romanticism

>f you act contrary to this warning, you will have to pay a penalty. Children must pay (n) silver coins. Slaves will be beaten on their behinds.

Well then.

Also aside from Spain and Sardinia, copper from the Sinai Peninsula and the red sea region was mined and exported as far as Western Europe: researchgate.net/publication/286876867_A_strange_lead_isotopic_signature_the_Funtana_Coberta-Ballao_hoard_Sardinia

So saying that Cyprus was the only source of copper is just wrong

So they had: Cyprus, Anatolia, The Sinai Peninsula and others regions along the red sea coasts, Sardinia, Spain and the Balkans to get copper from

I think you mean "what have they ever done for humanity". They LARP, like Germans, as if they are a master race when in reality they are just snow niggers.

I've never seen an actual German LARP as anything outside of, well, actual LARPing events and stuff.

What do people mean when they casually talk about the stone age, bronze age and iron age? The overlap of years seem to be so enormous as to make the terms almost useless. I know it also differs between regions. But if we're just talking the most widely used definition, where do these ages start and end?

you have to be 18 to be here.

>romans
>bronze age

>neolithic
Starts with framing, circa 10,000BC
>bronze age
Starts with bronze, ends with the bronze age collapse
>iron age
Starts slightly before the end of the bronze age but there's very little overlap

I have a soft spot for Krokodilopolis. In Meluhha, probably Harrapa.

Why is that your thread is off to a good start but I try making a thread about the bronze age and get almost no replies?

Probably more so, actually. We have centuries of Assyriology and archeology to fill in the blanks, they had, what? Homer? The Old Myths in the Bible? Very little was known about the ancient world by the classical age, Hell, one of the major players (the Hittites) were completely forgotten until modern times.

It was actually tin that was the limiting factor, there was plenty of copper on Cyprus.

Bronze is easy to recycle, you just have to melt a broken bronze sword down and viola, new sword / tool / whatever.

It's because we have a secret pact to ignore your threads.

Oxus civilization = the goat tier

Tin was either mined from the local scant sources or imported from Afghanistan, interestingly enough Afghanistan was home to the Oxus civilization

Afghanistan and Britain, tho the British tin mostly went to north European bronze-making cultures about which little is known sine they left no writing. The bronze age was an age of long distance trade, something its easy to forget because the iron age that followed it was so autarchic.

It's like a more alien version of antiquity that we know even less about, like a fantasy version of what we think about as the ancient world. Of course it's alluring. It also makes one wonder how the next hundreds of years would have looked like if there wasn't this incredible systems collapse.
After all, in our age we've only known progress, it's only ever become better and richer and more technologically advanced, so it's stunning to us that it's possible to have such a setback and actually lose knowledge.

Late bronze age trade routes 1400-1100 bc

Late bronze age Europe

That pic reminds me of Chan chan.

Lots of upper middle class home owners have stone lions flanking the entrance of their mcmansions.

I wonder how many of them realize they're perpetuating a bronze age meme.

Pic related is a golden cup from Bronze Age Cornwall (an area with large reserves of tin), supposedly bearing great similarities to those found from Mycenaean Greece
Evidence of trade links? Perhaps

Probably indirect trade, a Syrian like idol was found in the Baltic but it doesn't mean it was thanks to direct trade.

For direct trade you need foreign pottery being found at the site, if locally made pottery is found as well then it's direct trade, especially if the pottery itself doesn't hold much value (such as rough burnished ware) .

The furthest west Mycenean pottery was ever found is Iberia and even there it probably was brought there by a third party according to most archaeologists.

based lusatian culture, too bad it was replaced by germaniggers

Cancer age. Everything causes Cancer now.

They were pretty based

Sardinia wasn't settled until the 18th century though due to its remote location

>mesopotamia
you have Uruk and Babylon to look forward to, seems pretty dank to me

also hope that Gilgamesj senpai notices me

The problem was that its components, especially tin, were hard to find, and depended upon safe trade networks to bring together. Your supply of bronze depends entirely upon how much tin you have access to.

underrated post

Wrong. Romans and Vandals were already there.

Minoan hands down

They didn't have ships though....

What the fuck are you talking about?

People could not reach remote islands like Sardinia by boat before like 18th century, suckers where to primitive to sail out of sight of coast.

Now I know you're baiting.

No. Population had been growing since the neolithic so they needed more and more materials. One of the main reasons for iron age was actually that they were running out of easily accessible copper and tin ore.

Happens to me too

Those oral traditions were more descriptive than people think

It's Oil Age, everything in today's world comes from oil.

this
> plastics
> transport
> weapons powered by oil

BRAAAAAP

t. brainlet

Not really, for energy (petroleum's #1 use) we'll move to nuclear while corn-based plastics and composite ceramics take over as materials.

?

do a little research before you open your mouth dimwit! these shields are from the national museum of Denmark, they are not celtic!

This guy and an almost identical twin were found just 3 years ago, there is still a lot to uncover

>Oh damn so they had more than they knew what to do with, shit
>Oh nevermind apparently it was a luxury
>Makes sense given the copper shortage
>Nevermind I guess it's tin

Nothing quite like Veeky Forums to keep me informed

>implying anything we do will be remembered and this age won't be viewed as a historical dark-age akin to the mysterious bronze age collapse as future generations pull their hair in frustration lamenting "WHY DID THOSE MORONS DECIDE TO STOP RECORDING THINGS ON PHYSICAL MEDIA? WE HAVE LITERALLY NO IDEA WHAT EVENTS LED UP TO OUR CURRENT EXISTENCE IN AN IRRADIAED HELLSCAPE! WHAT DID YOU ASSHOLES DO?!?!".

Perhaps the legend of the hacker Veeky Forums will live on as some kind of mysterious trickster spirit akin to Loki but that's about all you can hope for.

There was no copper shortage, simply iron slowly took over, small iron tools and little blades were found in Anatolia and some other regions of the Near East since like 2000 or 1800 bc, later iron objects start appearing in the Central Mediterranean too since 1300-1200 bc thanks to contacts with Cypriots

academia.edu/2061542/Metallurgy_in_Italy_between_the_Late_Bronze_Age_and_the_Early_Iron_Age_the_Coming_of_Iron

Slowly, very slowly iron took over, around 1100-1000 bc iron weapons start becoming more common in the Levant, especially in Phoenician contexts, and start becoming prevalent over bronze, by 1000-800 bc iron becomes prevalent for swords in the Near East

I sure hope you're merely pretending

>Slowly, very slowly iron took over, around 1100-1000 bc iron weapons start becoming more common in the Levant, especially in Phoenician contexts, and start becoming prevalent over bronze, by 1000-800 bc iron becomes prevalent for swords in the Near East
By 800BC the Irish are also using it, pic related.

Yeah but I doubt it was prevalent over bronze

that's a bad meme. here's an example of how bad oral traditions are at preserving information: the conquest of Canaan and much of the Judges period occurs while Egypt fucking ruled over Canaan.

Literally everything in the Bible before the Babylonian conquest of Jerusalem is a load of horseshit.

Yeah.

> no man is an island

They obviously were influenced by trade as attested in the proper Iron Age circa 500BC when there is evidence for direct trade with the Mediterranean > N.Africa.

there are iron weapons from before iron working was introduced to an area from people working with meteorite iron. I don't know much about the spread of iron working but that seems a little odd for Ireland to have iron working at that time.

It had a 1000 years history of metalworking before this, so I don't think it is odd for them to experiment with the latest innovations.

not true. Kings preserves many confirmed historical events, although often with ideological spin. Kings preserves an authentic account of Sennacherib's seige of Jerusalem (followed by a fictional story made to make Hezekiah look good), Meshe's rebellion against Israel, and Shishaq's invasion of Canaan (to a limited extent). tons of kings from Kings are independently confirmed from Assyrian accounts, such as Ahab, Jehu, Hezekiah, and Manasseh. David and Solomon are more controversial but they are agreed by scholars to have existed.