Why are heroes and epics incompatible with this modern age...

Why are heroes and epics incompatible with this modern age? Were they just replaced by comic books and trivialized as children's media?

Because they're boring. A lot of those epics are more dull than Moby Dick

But there are heroes, and there are epics. Haven't you heard of Bernhard Goetz, the Subway Vigilante?

>Greek/Roman Hero
>Conquers cities, kills enemies, rapes women without consequences

Transplant these actions into a modern context and the "hero" suddenly looks like a sociopathic nutjob.

Odysseus was a rapist conquerors?Perseus? Heracles? I mean the last one was just a raging bisexual

Liberalism is inimical to heroes which is why it imports them from the third world like Things Fall Apart.
Heroes require moral conviction, courage to judge and be judged by an exacting standard that many people will inevitably fall short of or object to the system of value judgements in the first place. Liberalism stresses the relativity of truth and the toleration of all viewpoints as equally valid which more often than not resembles apathy and indifference rather than respect for the things that make parties different.

Yes.

Also capitalism elevated the merchant class, usually immoral and weak, as the new "man" of the millenium

Because the heroes that we had in the past of vilified as "racist" and (((evil))) and all this Hokey Pokey garbage nonsense. Remember he kicked out (((them))).

>Why are heroes and epics incompatible with this modern age?

DEFINE "INCOMPATIBLE".

we still carry on the old epics and heroes, children still learn about Odysseus today.

besides that, culturally relevant epics of our age are things like the lord of the rings (and possibly harry potter). you may think they aren't as venerable as the ancient epics but with time they will come to be seen similarly.

>Were they just replaced by comic books and trivialized as children's media?
Do you seriously think stories about Perseus and Heracles and such were some kind of serious business?
It WAS entertainment. Always.

Star Wars is the most important story of the last 50 years in terms of reach and popularity. The old heroes were never as popular as one might imagine, being fairly localized.

Odysseus directly caused the deaths of his shipmates by being such an egotist that the couldn't allow a giant to die without him knowing his name, dude was an asshole.

>I don't know what Liberalism is, but I'll ascribe everything I dislike to it.

Science fiction and fantasy still carry heroes and epics with them.
Especially science fiction I see as having a great potential for heroes and epics, since a common theme is the promise of greatness to humanity that the future holds, and it doesn't have the baggage of truth we have found about the past. It is one of the last bastions for us to dream about what humans can be like at their best.

>THE HERO IS AUTISTIC, THE VILLAIN IS SCHIZOPATHIC.
>ALL HEROES ARE AUTISTIC; ALL AUTISTIC INDIVIDUALS ARE NOBLE.
>ALL VILLAINS ARE SCHIZOPATHIC; ALL SCHIZOPATHIC INDIVIDUALS ARE IGNOBLE.

>Star Wars
>Bored kid destroys stable government because it's fun
Closest thing to the story of a Greek Epic we have nowdays.

>replaced
Nigga comic books ARE epics, they are the same

this paranoia is getting out of hand, is everything just an excuse to complain about your imaginary ideology

In one of Hercules stories, he gets so mad that he kills his wife and kids in a fit of rage. He feels bad about it afterwards, but that's about it. The Greeks didn't have this modern concept that a hero had to be an utterly perfect human being. Greek heroes are FLAWED, and not "flawed" like our modern concept of an anti-hero where a guy stops shaving and occasionally swears he's suddenly supposed to be edgy and jaded. No, Greek heroes were flawed in the sense that they made mistakes that got hundreds of other people killed, often because of their own pride.

Huh?

I don't know about you but my central library in Rotterdam has a book about Gilgamesh that's intended for children but I quite frankly could easily find myself enjoying.

I recommend you watch OverlySarcasticProductions, it makes it interesting.

he was a smart strategist, who's emotions got the better of him once, wow what a crime, let's crucify him

desu it was pretty dumb to tell your name to a huge mythical giant, who's father coincidentally is the God of the waters you're sailing on

also, his crew are fucking morons

everyone before Abrahamic religion was a raging bisexual.

it was normal back then, Greeks and Romans indulged in it

>caligula

>OverlySarcasticProductions
He's kind of a cuck tho

heroes and epics promote gender roles, nationalism and heroism, things that aren't needed in this (((modern))) post industrial revolution world we live in

"anyone is a (((hero)))"

doesn't that make them better heroes?

why? I mean he makes good, unbiased content and that's a + in my book

Please crucify yourself at the earliest inconvenience

The classical heroes are ideals to be strived upon
The modern heroes are supposed to be relatable and thus weak

In retrospect I see you are right and I was exaggerating my biases, as those types of heroes still exist in the form of Marvel and DC.

Excuse me, i'll go crucify myself now, I might need a hand on my last arm.

Why are we promoting making people feel like heroes instead of encouraging people to become heroes.

You didn't read Homer, didn't you?

We still have heroes and epics in the modern age.

But there not. Why do you think anime and Blizzard are so popular? They continue to tell the story of the hero. The Epic as a form of storytelling might be out of style, but Tolkien-esque fantasy continues to tell tales along similar lines (and is also full of heros, too). The story of the hero is the most fundamental to human society, and it hasn't gone anywhere. Your just not looking in the right place.

not if mass media has anything to say about it

>Nigga comic books ARE epics, they are the same
You just lost any credibility an anonymous poster could have.
>this paranoia is getting out of hand, is everything just an excuse to complain about your imaginary ideology
oh you're retarded

>why are making people feel good when they consume our product instead of encouraging them to feel inadequate when they consume our product?

Epics are the comics and bedtime stories during the ancient times

>Why are heroes and epics incompatible with this modern age?

There are shitloads of fairy tales, action movies, vidya etc. full of heroes. What else would you want?

Because, as our societies grow bigger and bigger, more consensus-oriented and less aggressive, it becomes harder and harder to believe that one person could have such an impact and make such a difference on their own, often in spite of their peers around them.

Now, we tend to idolize groups and organizations, movements and ideas instead of individual heroes. Groups can get things done. Groups can tackle giants and overthrow oppressors. Ideas can rewrite rules and unlock hidden potentials.

Most individual heroes we know today are simply organizers and leaders of groups, managers who are mostly hands-off spokespeople, simply actors who guided these famous groups to engage in their heroism. Alternatively, they are great minds: Thinkers who discovered some kind of key to prosperity, or artists who created some kind of beautiful/skillful stimulus.

cosmos and chaos turned to good and evil

All the ancient epics are full of moral ambiguity, that's not something modern society is geared for unless it's edgy hipsters watching GoT

One of the first things Odysseus did in the Oddessy was raid an enslave an entire village.

Because Poetry is a dead art form, and no one wants to sit around and read 1,000 fucking pages of it.