Your philosophy

shill to me your philosophy. I have taken on Stoicism and i fucking love it. I feel it helps me make sense of things as well as help me become a better person. Tell me about yours and why it is good for you and is good for others.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iOk6HB609po
amazon.com/Stoicism-Art-Happiness-Relationships-Self-Help/dp/1444187104/
youtube.com/watch?v=KdI0QzcWfio
twitter.com/AnonBabble

To do whatever it is I feel like doing and not worry too much about my balding head.

Dude just like do your duty lmoa

They don't think it be like it is, but it is so.

It helps me be more do than I can ever be.

Trump

youtube.com/watch?v=iOk6HB609po

Asshole thats my philosofy

>I have taken on Stoicism and i fucking love it.

this is an absurd statement

i get what you mean, i "love it" in that i totally get it and want to emulate it more.
yes i know passions are the enemy.

"Our Lord Jesus Christ has risen from the dead."

Every other statement might be a lie or a trick. I don't trust anything else and I base everything I do upon that one statement. Christ is where truth and reality are anchored.

what have you been reading? I've read Meditations before and have some bookmarks for Seneca and Cambridge's Guide but I'm reading Plato right now and probably won't get to the Stoics in about a year

what do you suggest?

I have read Meditations in it's entirety, as well as some online studies of Stoicism from an academic/analytical standpoint.
I want to start reading Epistulae Morales ad Lucilium, but i think it's pretty established that Meditations is the best insight to a Stoic lifestyle.

I'm an Orthodox Christian who sort of independent came to the idea of "radical orthodoxy", which is pretty much the idea that a very stringent holding to traditional Christian theology and philosophy is a counter to post-modernism, nihilism, and solipsism.

>as well as some online studies of Stoicism from an academic/analytical standpoint.

I've seen some stuff on this and find that they seem to have a major difficulty separating Stoicism with Epicureanism.

like this
amazon.com/Stoicism-Art-Happiness-Relationships-Self-Help/dp/1444187104/

literally reading Meditations right now

Stoicism is the GOAT

My dude

Unironically this. Do your duty it's not like you have much else to live for before modern times.

Used to be a stoic until I realized it just promotes class collaboration, currently a Christian existentialist but I have a soft spot for Schopenhauer

>Used to be a stoic until I realized it just promotes class collaboration
what is wrong with class collaboration? how does it promote this?

I'm pretty sure that by "passions" the stoics largely just meant to classify irrational forms of suffering and elation; such as shame, malice, and more exuberant displays of pleasure.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying a state of mind.

im stoic too
my life was shit so i abandoned the hope that it will get any better, all i want is to wagecuck myself into an early grave just to have some shadow of financial stability that will enable me to do whatever i want in scarce amounts of free time

I'm a pilot of a causally determined biological system, but lately I've been questioning the "piloting" part. And with the idea that evolution favors helpful unrealities over absolute truth, even the passage of time is put under the scope. Maybe it is as they say - time is just the brain going through reality from one side to the other, and our mind is the result of that process, a solution to the equation rather than the original thinker.

I have no consistent philosophical position (I have negated ot accidentally contradicted pretty much all of my positions - I'm not even a nihilist at this point, since I negated nihilism as well) so I can just criticize and deconstruct other people's positions.
I really have no idea wether this is good or bad so I won't shill it to you.

You seem to be at a fork in the road that leads, usually, to either the contrarian camp or logical trivialism.

Epictetus' Discourse is the best material on Stoicism. Marcus Aurelius didn't write the Meditations for publication.

>I've seen some stuff on this and find that they seem to have a major difficulty separating Stoicism with Epicureanism.
Yes.

>contrarian camp
What even is contrarian today?
>logical trivialism
Skepticism seems much more likely than this.

good is perpetual improvement. you aren't made to be happy and you shouldn't try.

no matter what you accomplish, you could do better. no matter how bad things are, they could be worse. the state of existence, necessarily, will always be one of strife.

Contrarian seems to be more of a locked-in response to information for some folks. I mean to say that you generally assume that everything is a contradiction and you go looking for it.

In regards to trivialism, it's more the back-door for folks who, like yourself, end up taking argument with every system you try to adopt. It isn't necessary to take it to the extremes, but merely acknowledge universal validity and go from there.

>acknowledge universal validity
But what if universal validity ISN'T TRUE???

more like, make the best out of the cards you're dealt

that's a pretty bird

Then you write down on paper the names of philosophers who sound reasonable, put them in a hat, draw at random, and then follow the ideas of your selected philosophy in a matter befitting a random and chaotic universe.

But how do you know that the universe is random and chaotic? And why should that, it it is true, dictate my choice of philosophy?

Thermodynamics and the arrow of time. Going "forward" through time increases entropy. If there is a better fundamental basis for a physicalist, rationalist world view, I have yet to hear of one.

I think they're of almost equal use, but I still enjoy Seneca more. Letters like "On Discursiveness in Reading" were really helpful when I was younger and reading them for the first time. They're also more quotable imo.

Dokkōdō by Miyamoto Musashi

>1. Accept everything just the way it is.

>2. Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.

>3.Do not give preference to anything among all things.

>4. Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.

>5. Be detached from desire your whole life.

>6. Do not regret what you have done.

>7. Never be jealous.

>8. Never let yourself be saddened by a separation.

>9. Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself nor others.

>10. Do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love.

>11. Do not seek elegance and beauty in all things.

>12. Be indifferent to where you live.

>13. Do not pursue the taste of good food.

>14. Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.

>15. Do not act following customary beliefs.

>16. Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful.

>17. Do not fear death.

>18. Do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.

>19. Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.

>20. You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honor.

>21. Never stray from the Way.

Egoism of Stirner

>shill to me your philosophy

I am your God - you must serve me. But chances are you are just a peasant or other such person of non-importance so I concentrate on telling the employees of world governments they better submit to my authority or go to hell for treason.

youtube.com/watch?v=KdI0QzcWfio

I've seen you around here tripfagging and dedicating a subreddit to your weird videos.

What's the deal?

Try to help everyone without getting hurt.

Schizophrenia.

Stoicism is for children. You are a child. You are not good, not for yourself nor others. Fucking children need to get off this board, go play your 'le Veeky Forums approved GAYMES'.
In that it whines like a goat to the slaughter after the winners have their fun?
>physicalist, rationalist
Do you even know what these two terms mean, you fucking idiot?

This. fuck ethics, fuck reasoning, fuck morals. Make money, fuck the girls, manipulate people to do what your want, manipulate reality to get what you want. Don't take no for an answer, take what your want, the only real life is the presenty so live in it. Carpe diem comrade.

Naturalism is the best word I have to describe my views, I can't recall if it's called something more specific.

Anything that isn't able to be scaled in a logical or physical way is nonexistent. In example, I don't believe in the concept of a defined 'justice' in this sense, as the earth cares nothing for what we classify as 'justice.' Nature is cruel, nature is beautiful, nature will never cease to exist.

Morality is also unique. What we see as 'good' and 'bad' is dictated by what's proven to be beneficial and harmful for evolution, out conscience helping us avoid trouble. Overall I remain neutral on a lot of things and just like to watch society flow in chaotic and interesting ways.

>Anything that isn't able to be scaled in a logical or physical way is nonexistent
Why?
You do realize this is based upon nonphysical and nonlogical axioms, yes?

Don't fully know what philosophy I can identify with the most. I've watched some stuff on Epicureanism and Stoicism and they both kind of make sense to me.

Any idea who i should start reading?

>make sense
Not a reason.
Fucking hell, you're stupid.

If you knew anything about philosophy you wouldn't be such an illogically sour person. Settle down, it doesn't matter.

>logic is good becuz i sed so
I know much more than you, I'm even published. Arrogant brat.
Physicalism and rationalism are entirely at-odds.