Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lBivbHgxMGY
makingsenseofcents.com
pacedm.com/2013/11/vito-glazers-beats-ryan-eagle-in-court/
youtube.com/watch?v=IvwinuGze-A
youtube.com/watch?v=q6dJtScSnxM
twitter.com/realRyanEagle/status/862924437649317888
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's basically getting underpaid to market for other companies. Only Pajeets do it really. If you wanna market for others and make money, just start an insurance brokerage firm.

I did affiliate marketing during the glory days, the late 2000s.

It was a hilarious industry to be in.
>companys throw partys hiring rappers
>if you perform well they rent a lambo for you for a day
>partys in vegas, LA, NYC
>marketing towards affiliates showing how you can be a baller

Why'd you stop? Any anecdotes? I assume it's kind of dead/dying compared to back then, but I'd love to hear more about it, if only for the anecdotes and entertainment.

I still do affiliate marketing but I do incent where users perform tasks on apps to get like more game credits. Im not making a lot which is why Im getting more into crypto.

I stopped promoting direct offers just because things tightened up everywhere.
>facebook got more restrictive with what you could advertise (this may have changed since then)
>google adwords made some change about not promoting offers directly, needing to create your own landing page (fake review site, fake news site, actual blog with content, were what people moved to)
>SEC shutting down affiliate marketing companys

Back then people were promoting rebills (offers that would pay a lot up front but rebill the customer every month). Some were legit like Netflix paying $30 just to get ppl to sign up to a free trial. Others were scams paying $100+ to promote like diet products.

I always stuck to promoting stuff that wouldnt hurt anyone, like netflix or site registrations.

I used to lurk on wickedfire.com which used to be the main spot for affiliate marketers that did well. Now its a dead site/forum.

Most people either went broke, moved on, or started creating their own offers to make money.

>I used to lurk on wickedfire.com which used to be the main spot for affiliate marketers that did well. Now its a dead site/forum.
what killed it?
I do remember it vaguely
>mfw wickedfiire.com

A lot of people in the industry turned out to be scammers and fraudsters also.

Everyone wanted to make it seem like they were doing really well and making millions in order to create their own offer or affiliate marketing company to try to get ppl to promote their stuff.

So like
>Martin Grunin faked being a millionaire and ended up getting into legal trouble by scamming facebook for ad credits

The industry was full of people like that. Taking pics in their expensive cars, hosting partys but it was all just off the backs of fraud/scams.

Some people made millions like Shoemoney from promoting phone offers where ppl would type in a PIN they received to get sometihng like a free ringtone but theyd be billed monthly. Shoemoney also made millions tricking ppl into thinking they could be like him if they signed up to hosting services he got large commissions for.

Lots of seedy people in the industry.

>Some people made millions like Shoemoney from promoting phone offers where ppl would type in a PIN they received to get sometihng like a free ringtone but theyd be billed monthly. Shoemoney also made millions tricking ppl into thinking they could be like him if they signed up to hosting services he got large commissions for.
I only ever remember him drinking bottles of vodka and such, never promoting anything

maybe I'm thinking of the wrong guy

The jewish owner of wickedfire, Jon, got upset that he only had like a million or two while people were on his forum claiming to making 10s of millions (these are the same people who were faking their income or scamming legit companys).

So Jon decided to charge users a fee to access certain parts of the forum.

Most people nowadays say the affiliate marketers moved onto these membership based forums but Ive never joined any and Im largely done with promoting direct offers.

I had one offer back in the day I was promoting, some browser plugin that let you have a myspace layout. It paid like dollars per install. I pushed like $120k worth of this one offer though my profit was only like $20k, but running that much money through rewards credit cards got me access to a lot better credit cards and a lot of reward points.

Shoemoney made at least a million from his ringtone site. He promoted offers on it and also got adsense revenue, he has the famous $200k adsense check or something like that.

His income died with that site so he switched into blogging and then eventually some "shoemoney program" to teach people affiliate marketing, which each step of it was getting people to sign up to stuff he got commissions for.

So hes not like balling out of control but hes probably set for life.

>I had one offer back in the day I was promoting, some browser plugin that let you have a myspace layout. It paid like dollars per install. I pushed like $120k worth of this one offer though my profit was only like $20k, but running that much money through rewards credit cards got me access to a lot better credit cards and a lot of reward points.
interesting

is aff marketing your full time job?

Incent marketing is, where users perform tasks and they get game credits. I try to only work with super legit companys nowadays.

I have other sites but overall my income went from like $100k+/yr to now which is like $20k/yr.

I have two propertys and have an okay life but im spending all my time on some new projects that I hope to at least bring me closer to what i used to make.

Im sure people still do well in aff marketing. Dating offers probably perform well, evergreen niches like dating, how to make money always do well.

Most people who made money in aff marketing either went broke, retired with money, or spend their earnings trying to create a solid product/site for more stable income.

you're thinking of shoenice22

>youtube.com/watch?v=lBivbHgxMGY

thanks for the input, it's nice to hear from someone who has done/is doing it

Have you ever looked into dropshipping? I've been looking into it lately—seems like a legitimate business model and something profitable

Also, have you ever heard of Ryan Eagle? I remember him running his little network years ago

>you're thinking of shoenice22
Lol, yep. I was like
>really, that guy?

Even back then people would say its dead/dying and tell people not to get into it.

Its easier for people to promote their own ads nowadays. A lot of companys will put out an offer that performs well, and once they gather enough data they just stop the offer and then promote it themselves using data they learned from how aff marketers promoted it.

A lot of successful aff marketing I see nowadays where people make $100k+/mo is promoting stuff where they promise you too can make a ton of money.

Look at this blog
>makingsenseofcents.com

It makes 100k+ a month. How? They promote products and promise that you too can make 100k+ a month if they sign up through all their affiliate links to other companys and if you sign up for hosting for a blog just like theirs.

You missed the drop shipping gravy train

Yaeh, Ive looked into drop shipping but never tried it. Everyone says the same stuff, alibaba, work directly with a company, sell on amazon or shopify with facebook ads.

Yeah I was going to mention Ryan Eagle after Mgrunin but left him out.

I started online same time he did, both of us promoting myspace orientated sites.

He made his money then shifted into pretending to being rich to create his own ad network where image matters.

I dont know what he does nowadays. looked him up the other day and he seems to take a pic of his bentley or rolls almost everyday on instagram.

I thought he had some legal issues awhile back losing money and getting his cars taken by the courts.

I really lol everytime I see this "drop shipping is dead" meme.

Fuck man, it ALL depends on how you are doing it. If you aren't building a brand and a customer email list, you'll never make it work.

There are certain things that DO and DO NOT make business sense, and dropshipping will be around for hundreds of years.

>I thought he had some legal issues awhile back losing money and getting his cars taken by the courts.
Lol

This is one thing I hated about the aff marketing 'community'—it was so clearly full of next-level bullshitters. I suppose that's life in general, but aff marketing was just one giant convention full of people wearing gold bling and driving around in their rented supercars, kek

Im pretty sure Ryan Eagle is just running a ponzi scheme nowadays or living off of like bitcoin gains or something. I remember even Martin Grunin on wickedfire back in the day dropping $50k on bitcoin though he seemded like the type to sell it immediately after any kind of pump.

Ima go readup on Ryan Eagle. I cant remember how his sites devolved into scams.

Okay yeah, now I remember.

>Ryan Eagle sets up aff marketing company
>spends the money he gets from advertisers
>trys to pay as few affiliates as possible
>loses court cases over not paying

> loses court cases over not paying
how does he still have money fug

pacedm.com/2013/11/vito-glazers-beats-ryan-eagle-in-court/
>Vito Glazers, the former owner of CPATank has won a total of $273,419 in Federal Court against Ryan Eagle

There were still a ton of affiliates without enough money to drag him into court. So he probably got away with scamming others but had to pay the one guy/company that did sue him.

It's scheme that the Jews use to get the low IQ'd to sell their products because their too cheap to market and sell it retail.

> If you don’t remember, Eagle had disappeared almost overnight after it was found that he wasn’t not only refusing to pay affiliates, but had taken large amounts of money out of his affiliate network to support his lifestyle.
How stupid do you have to be to actually live like the ridiculous character you're portraying online? This was incredibly retarded if true

Hes definitely a relic of the past of aff marketing.

youtube.com/watch?v=IvwinuGze-A
His cameo at 54 secs

Im done looking him up, but theres posts from him back in 2013/2014 about buying bitcoin.

So if he used all the money he stole from his affiliates, put it into bitcoin back then, thats where all his money came from after his lawsuits and such.

this has been a fun trip down memory lane

he looks like a complete goober, I still can't tell if he's just ironically going for the sleezeball look or if he's serious

I think hes serious, if you check his instagram/twitter, he takes these close up selfies with like a creepy grin but it looks like he legit does it thinking its cool. Hes pretty self-absorbed.

Thread is full of nostalgia.

youtube.com/watch?v=q6dJtScSnxM

anyway, thanks for the tales

twitter.com/realRyanEagle/status/862924437649317888

holy kek what a tryhard dweeb

brings me back

np. also Ryan Eagle is a mason, so is his brother/dad. So is Vito who sued him after loaning him money to start his aff marketing company.

lel, such a clown