Scouts report that these guys are coming to invade your barony

Scouts report that these guys are coming to invade your barony.

What do you do?

poison the wells

Let the count deal with it. Or begin a war of attrition by limiting the amount of local food the invaders can live off and retreating to a series of castles and forts. A functional steppe army requires more calories to thrive because they must not only ensure that the men eat, but that their many horses do too. If the defenders all tighten their belts and endure some hunger, the horseniggers suffer tenfold. At some point, they will have to begin slaughtering horses for food thus eliminating their advantage in mobility and open warfare. Also, get local partisans to harass whatever supplies they receive.

That just means some die the first time, they test all future wells with one of their slaves/your peasants, and stick to rivers and streams in the future.

Plus, you know, earning you their eternal hatred.

I restart the game with Mongol Invasion off

Away from the Mongols or towards them?

Why can't I be a mongol?
They were pretty cool.

Harvest all resources to be brought behind the walls of the main fortress. After that hold the walls of the castle while begging for assistance from allies and fellow Catholics.

in in doubt scorched earth all the way!

Here are the terms they offered Hungary the second time around.

>In 1254, Batu Khan demanded a marriage alliance with Hungary and a quarter of its army for a drive into central and western Europe. In exchange, Hungary would be spared from tribute obligations and any further destruction. Béla ignored the message. Additional ultimatums were sent in 1259 and 1264, this time by Batu's brother and successor, Berke Khan. Berke made similar demands: if Hungary would submit to the Mongols and grant them a quarter of its army for the planned invasion of Europe, it would receive tax exemption and 1/5 of the plunder. Again, Béla refused.

Would you accept? Betraying your legacy, independence, and fellow Christians, giving up a quarter of your army, in exchange for a tax break?

If I were hungarian definitely not but I'm not hungarian.

Turn 360 degrees and catch the plague

Invent the AK47 and shoot them up

>What do you do?

Beat them at their own game.

Machine guns

Yeah I would. But I'm American. I don't give a damn about Euros

Burn all the grass, every single blade, gg no re horsecucks

Hussars wouldn't necessarily have won. Their horses lacked barding and would be more vulnerable to Mongol arrows than the earlier armored cavalry.

Just because a tactic of equipment came later doesn't necessarily mean that it will win against an earlier one. Hussars adopted their equipment because it solved the problems they faced on the battlefields of the 16th and 17th century. The long hollow lances allowed them to charge into pike squares, the armor was thick enough to resist pistol fire or long-range muskets, but in order to be that thick, it sacrificed coverage.

Against the mongols, that equipment would be sub-optimal. The very long lance is harder to use against more agile Mongol cavalry, and the "all or nothing" armor leaves more of the man and horse vulnerable to arrows.

Conversely, the Mongols would have had a hard time against pike and shot.

>vulnerable to Mongol arrows

Works both ways.

Mass longbows.

Two words

Wagon forts

Swear allegiance to them so I can join them as a siege expert and kill as many Muslims as possible. Hulagu Khan was based.

Nice tits, Hulagu

This is probably your best bet. Find the most impenetrable defense you can to save you from the Mongol lancers, long pikes & heavy shields, and mass volley after volley of arrows at whatever mounted fucks ride into range. Then, when they run away, follow in close formation until your armies start to tire. Don't over-extend, and don't run after them.

As the decades roll by, little by little, extend your lines of forts and walls until you start to push them beyond the Urals or into the fucking sea.

Ivan?

Forts and foot archers

They'll surround you and shell you. They also have longer range bows than you do unless you have longbows.

This

Build fortresses, hire crossbowmen and knights.

at some point, ceasing the entire economy of your lands every time some raiders invade would hardly leave any time for the growing of food in the first place, eventually that leads to scorched earth strategy, then youre just destroying your own land so they cant have it while you hide in a castle. Also you cant contain them so the best you can do is hope they leave. Not to say you could do much else, what you described is your best bet even if it ends up being costly.

Basically it sucks to live in eastern europe during the age of horsefuckers.

how do you turn this on

if they're already coming its too late for anything else, once we've fought this invasion off we do what the Han did mobilize our entire population and take the war to them

>Scouts report that these guys are coming to invade your barony.
>What do you do?

If I'm a Baron?

Sit in my castle and wait for the King (or Emperor, if I'm a Germ) to muster the army, then send my men at arms and some levies off to fight with them as commanded.

That's just what feudalism is about, really, but fuck me I'm not going myself, I'm sitting nice and safe in my stone castle with years worth of provisions and a hundred sergeants and men at arms.

If, however, I'm an independent sovereign, then we've got to get a plan together.

Two things absolutely destroy cavalry archer heavy armies (as the Mongols found out themselves); European stone castles (none of those shitty chingchong heaps), and foot archers. Honourable mentions go to knights and other heavy cavalry, if you can force them to fight head on (as the Hungarians managed to do), and simply having horse archers of your own.

Basically, I'd just copy King Bela as much as I could; build as many stone castles as I can before they get here (they take YEARS though, so might not be an option).

If they're only months away, I'll hire every Englishman and Welshman on the continent, arm my levies with pikes and pavise shields, and try to force them to battle in as close and broken a field as I can (preferably hills, rocky/boggy ground, even woodland if I have to). Basically, do what the Scots did to the English, but with ten thousand longbowmen behind my pikes (also pavises = very important, which the Scots didn't have, but I'd see to).

It's not much of a plan, but if I can manage to get thirty thousand men together, with a third or more being foot archers, and fight on a field like Agincourt, I reckon I could take a horde (assuming I don't get ambushed or night attacked or whatever, I'd take appropriate precautions ofc).

My nation is nothing but forests, they can't do shit here.

>Two things absolutely destroy cavalry archer heavy armies (as the Mongols found out themselves); European stone castles (none of those shitty chingchong heaps), and foot archers.
And you know, trees. Destroys mobility and if there's woods then that means less grassland for the horses to graze.

That plan is going to get you and all your subjects horribly killed

How so?

The Mongols are not some invincible force as some people like to think. All they are is just a large force of cavalry with missile troops combined, they can be beaten and were beaten in open battle, you just have to have the tools to do so, and put them together properly.

Granted I'm no military man myself, so I'd probably most likely fail on the grounds of being unable to properly organise an army of tens of thousands under battlefield conditions.

If that's what you mean then yes, I'd probably get everyone killed.

I guess I would play my knowledge of the country in my favour. I would hide all peasants behind castle walls and some of my forces to make them think we're all cowering behind walls while most of my men hide behind dense forests, caves and the sort. Then I guess I would start gorrilla warfare, taking them by suprise buttsex and make my men sally when needed. But then again, the mongols were so many in number i doubt i would have a chance.
Or maybe just use pikes and longbowmen against them while ambushers hide behind trees.

since i'm in holland I would build on top of mounds with stakes and flood the area. next thing i'd do is recruit a fuckload of archers and train/breed dogs

this should deter them

Solar eclipse is at hand so I pretend to be a shaman holding the power to block out the sun.
They'll ne scared and instantly grant me their leadership and all the ripe females for my superior shamanic sperm.

Kek

Get all my riches and travel to Iberia, relocate there, aid the spaniards on their reconquista and become a noble there, fuck the peasants, fuck eastern Europe.

Surrender? The odds of them not killing everyone is pretty good.

If you fight they'll just re-route the rivers to wipe all traces of your city out of existence.

The Mongols were just better at war than anyone else. Their favorite tactic was to feign retreat for several days before surrounding the enemy and ripping them to shreds. You can't really do that unless the army consists of almost nothing but horsemen.

What's the role of the last guy in line? Is he just whipping the archers for the hell of it?

What Hungary and Poland did after their first defeats. Return to castles and forts, scorch the earth and harass their supply lines and camps with small assaults from the forts.

Take that deal for sure. Possibly offer half of the army in exchange for a larger cut of booty.

I believe the Rus did the same thing. Then they got fucking rekt 20 years later anyway.

disgusting race traitor

I'd have them arrested.

Just mass archers and kill their horses. Get halberds if they charge.

> more agile Mongol cavalry
Why would it be more mobile?
How are you supposed to dodge cavalry charge with whole formation?
>Conversely, the Mongols would have had a hard time against pike and shot.
Bullshit, they would just ignore it. They didn't have to take any battle. Just look up to Lisowczycy mercenaries, aka Riders of the Apocalypse. They used Tatar tactics and 17thC HRE was pretty much helpless.

Kievan Rus didn't have any stone fortifications.

>haha dirt poor european states would definitely be able to finance an army of heavily armored hussars

>when they run away, follow
GAME OVER

You were killed by: FEIGNED FLIGHT
Play Again? y/n

mongols composite bow has superb range though

Offer them some fresh horse pussy

last time they tried, someone used god mode

Island nations ftw.

if I'm put in a situation, cornered and wih my security threatened and even if I use non letal ways to prevent further escalation I'm forced to be in a self defense situation, I will use letal methods to defend myself.
If you are out in the gates of my castle, with a crowd of mongols surrounding you. I will be sad because of the massacre but I will be happy that I defended myself

Keep discipline. If a guy starts to lose concentration or is wavering, a good lash of the whip to bring him to reality helps before shouting at him to focus

You know they bring their own food right? Mongol tumens trailed hordes of women and children. As long as they have grazing for the animals, it doesn't quite matter what you do to your own farms. They would quite often destroy farms so the land returned to fallow.

You have no mobility and vulnerable supply lines with a mainly infantry army. You need your heavy cavalry for shock troops. Even your lightest horses need grain or else they will weaken and perform suboptimally. You will be besieged and starve, go to the field and get smashed, or you can avoid all this by submitting to the Khagan.

Wagonforts aren't really an option because they are quite expensive unless you are a major trade hub like London. Best tactic would probably be to force an advantageous siege and then skirmish with them. Split them up as much as possible. English hunters were quite good, most peasants could be relied upon for their bow-work. God forbid if its an English longbow. those things could knock a horsefucker off.

>Bobby died, dont drink from the well lads.

I live in eastern Kentucky, I think I'll be ok while camping out on my mountain top.

chuckled