Cornell West

people tell me he is the greatest living american philosopher, this generation's quine

do you agree with that statement

hahah no

he is a great orator, but his philosophical contributions aren't really anything to talk about

he's a good expositor, think of him of being a carl sagan like figure for philosophy

but he is no quine

No one has said that. Stop this shit, it's not even bait at this point.

>A literal communist

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>people tell me he is the greatest living american philosopher
Western philosophy was solved by Slavoj Zizek and Rick & Morty.

despite OP's trolling

on a serious note, how accomplished is Cornell West considered?

While I agree with a lot of things he's said at times, I can't get over that he looks like the crazy man you see on the street corner just nicely dressed.

His public speaking normally is amazing.

Depends on how you view accomplishment. He's not really that much of an original thinker in any sort of analytic philosophy. Rather, he combines eclectically the neopragmatic sensibilities of the likes of Richard Rorty with Christian humanism, black theology, and just a hint of Marxism, as a means of kindling and sustaining political activism.

Is he accomplished? Well, he is a highly-regarded celebrity philosopher. And in his view, philosophers are successful when they spur social, political, and spiritual engagement. I guess I can't deny that he's got his face all up in that, but I'm more interested in analytic philosophy myself (though I have read, and enjoyed reading, the original generation of American pragmatists).

>this generation's quine

I'd disagree, Satan. He's more like Black Science Man really Carl Sagan at least contributed a little to the scientific community in some sense

is he intellectually superior to Quine?

he has a greater command of language than quine, so therefore smarter than quine

he looks like he has lightning powers and tryna teach a bunch of teenagers with attitude and superpowers to work together and be heroic

>Is he accomplished? Well, he is a highly-regarded celebrity philosopher.
Plus he's got tenure

I will say this, he is oldschool as fuck. He's the only non-preacher black guy I know that puts Brotha or Sista in front of people's names as a title.

Most interesting philosopher right now is Nick Land, by a wide margin. No one even comes close.

West is a nobody

I know this phrase gets thrown around a lot, but in this case I think it's warranted: West is a sophist, or at least approaches sophistry with his rhetoric. Every single lecture is littered with name-drops of Elizabethan poets and Naturalist authors, intermingled with emotional appeals founded on out-of-context statistics, without a logical progression from A to B. He is almost like a De Maistre in his appeal to the purely irrational, emotional, and spiritual aspects of the human psyche, conveniently ignoring empirical truth. He did a talk at Sonoma State that I actually attended when I was at Berkeley, where he regurgitated the banal talking points of your run-of-the-mill progressive, (e.g. disparity equals discrimination, hate is endemic to white society, etc.) and it was all so tiresome. He's clearly intelligent, and uses his intelligence to add intellectual heft to the progressive movement that is less concerned with colloquial truth than equality.

idk about all that but I accidently marched with him against poverty in Philadelphia. I was in philly taking in the sites at city hall. Suddenly commies start handing me fliers and im like "aight." Then this large mob with a banner in the center and cornell west in the middle behind it turn the corner and march down the street where I am. There is nowhere to go so I get sucked in. Next thing I know I am literally an arms length aways from him. Pretty cool, but the FBI probably has pictures of me and thinks Im a commie. I mean, I am a commie, but they are thinking it for all the wrong reasons.

He's another upitty negro that suffers from race envy.

>>>/Leftypol/