Jordan Peterson's religious views

So is his religious stance just a rehashing of Christian-Neoplatonism?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w
youtube.com/watch?v=Nyw4rTywyY0&t=1s&list=LLxjdgYLPA6aVt6enah8u9Ow&index=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cynical shatovism
the same as alain de botton really, plus a weak existentialist coating

>needing an ideology to lie

what a weak man

It's a cultural Christian atheist.

He's*

Bumping for discussion

Where's a good place to start in understanding his world view? Any particular lectures or writings?

I really want to get a copy of Maps of Meaning, but they're so fugging expensive.

Just go through the series I guess
m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w

Who gives a fuck whether he thinks there's a God? I watch his videos, but I've never even cared what his particular religious views are because it doesn't matter. What does matter is that he thinks religion has played a crucially important role in the prospering of Western civilisation for a couple of thousand years, and he wants you to understand this importance.

Literally, who gives a single fuck whether he thinks there's a God or not. I get the impression he's perhaps a bit agnostic on God existing. He just thinks Christianity has been vitally important to us, from a psychological as well as a societal perspective, for so long. And of course he would argue that even today, even if you're an atheist, a lot of your mental concepts are legacies of Christianity.

If you can't understand this position then you're too stupid to be watching his videos in the first place and you should just go watch some Christopher Hitchens garbage. That's probably more your level.

Belief in God or Gods has never been the problem anyway. The problem is belief in religion.

He's by no means a Christian; I'd say at most he's a deist with an appreciation for Christian morality.

You're right in the secular sense; what his religious views are don't matter in that arena. I thought it was telling that he was considering a political career but decided that politics was not the place to discuss ideas and psychology was.

25 year rules retard

Why is belief in religion a problem? Coming together in a community to find common meaning and purpose in life, and to celebrate your common existence, and to give yourself a solid set of morals - why are these things bad? You think being an edgy atheist faggot is better?

Good description

I didn't know he considered a political career. Interesting.

I can't agree the bible is the basis for our morals since parts of what is teaches was also taught before it and our morals contradict much of what it says. Christianity is the basis of western civilization but that's a Christianity that has come to ignore much of the bible.

The Bible, just like every single religious document in every single religion, is open to interpretation. Every other religion is full of different sects and denominations which interpret the holy texts in different ways.

Also I didn't actually mention the Bible. I am just saying that Christianity, and its concepts, have formed the basis of our morality (that's a historically true statement). And that's Peterson's point. And obviously Peterson loves looking at Jungian theory - archetypes - to show what the psychological significance of each Christian concept is. E.g. the significance of Jesus (the archetypal perfect man whom every man in society should aspire to be like). Having a character like Jesus so embedded into the psyche of Europeans allowed us to be co-operative and peaceful (for the most part), which is what allowed us to flourish.

Is this saying any religion with a central figure to look up to could have replaced Christianity, be it something like Islam or Buddhism?

This is humanities

No. Instead it is saying that Christianity is a manifestation of the psychology of the European people. Our unique European genetics created the unique ideology known as Christianity.

Other religions might have similar archetypes, yes. We're all humans aren't we - we have much in common.

But those religions are the creation of different people with different genetics. And, sure, their different living environments would have played a part too.

But now you are saying what I said. What matter isn't Christianity, what matters is the environment the religion develops in. If Europe had been converted to Islam we would have created a sect similar to modern Christianity because that would fit our culture and genetics.

Online for free. Better because of hyperlinking/ctrl-f ability

watered down perennialism

If Islam had successfully conquered Europe then white Europeans probably would have been bred out of existence.

Thank God that never happened, and that the Franks managed to fight off the Saracens when it mattered.

>implying that whites wouldn't become the dominant race in islam and conquer the whole world
at least we wouldn't be in a brink of genocide, like we are now.

No, the only situation in which Islam would have conquered is one in which Europeans would be exterminated.

Obviously I have deviated from Peterson's beliefs here, I have no idea what his thoughts on this topic are, whether he believes that religions are determined by genetics. But I am absolutely certain of it.

Religion is just a facet of culture. Think of how Africans have a very expressive culture, very musical, because that reflects their dispositions. Then think of how East Asians have a culture that emphasises virtue, honour, and discipline. Quite different. Their religions, and religious practices, reflect these differences of personalities.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nyw4rTywyY0&t=1s&list=LLxjdgYLPA6aVt6enah8u9Ow&index=1

This is some good shit if you want some political perspective.

he's a crypto-Gnostic masquerading as a cultural Christian

his study and scholarship of Jung may have some degree of influence in this

>& humanities

Fuck this loophole

I like having things to put on my bookshelf.

I know that feel

>I get the impression he's perhaps a bit agnostic on God existing
he as said himself that he "acts as if god exists" most smart people acknowledge that it is impossible to prove whether god exists or whether he doesn't. I guess the that's the step in believing, you just have to have faith.