Visigoth Kingdom

How much is known about this period of Hispania? How did they get so easily destroyed by muslims? Would history be completely different if they were never conquered and the Reconquista never happened?
I've read that contrary to popular belief, it was one of the most advanced Christian kingdoms of Europe because of how romanized the Visigoths became.

Apparently they pretty much lived like being in the Roman Empire without the taxes. The country was also clean as there were baths present all over the country. Baetica (Andalusia) was the one of the most developed regions of the country and the country was divided as the kings were arians where as the population was catholic until Isidore of Seville converted them to catholic.

was one*
Also to mention that the Visigoth king was at the north of Iberia fighting against the Basques when the invasion happened.

>I've read that contrary to popular belief, it was one of the most advanced Christian kingdoms of Europe because of how romanized the Visigoths became.

All of the Germanic tribes entering the Empire were already Romanized, and sought to control rather than destroy in most cases. There's a few odd exceptions. Hispania was less fucked up though, where as Italy had been on a continual decline since before the time of Augustus and only saw brief periods of revitalization and was further decimated by the Gothic War in particular.

Visigothic Spain remained a center of learning and culture as seen by the continual of Latin traditions in poetry, but without the Gothic Wars and the Lombard invasion Ostrogothic Italy would've likely overshadowed it. Merovingian France is overlooked though, it's the really the last Western state of the late classical period.

I've never seen anything claiming Visigothic Spain to be backwards relative to its neighbors so I'm afraid I don't really follow what exactly you're looking for?

Basically how society was under the Visigoths and how would it look like if they never fell against the moors. I'm a Spaniard and I'm pretty interested in this period, at school they taght they were just germanic invaders who occupied Hispania who contributed nothing until the moors came here and brought technology (I was like 11 at the time). 10 years later I started to become curious on how it actually was and I've digged some interesting things and I wondered how much information is documented about this time.

The Gothic language is also one of the most beautiful Germanic languages I've seen. Also heard that it's still alive and spoken by some people.

I think before delving into particulars of the Visigothic state you should start by looking into the Migration Period in general and the Germanic tribes

I highly recommend this book. I've also read a couple good books focusing on the linguistic evolutions in the period, in particular with Iberia

Neat. I'll take note of it and see if it's available in book stores here. Thanks.

>The Gothic language is also one of the most beautiful Germanic languages I've seen. Also heard that it's still alive and spoken by some people.

it isn't, I don't think there's enough evidence to take the attestation of Gothic speakers in the Crimea and Ukraine around the 17th century that seriously. I'm not saying that it is necessarily false, just inconclusive

It's a really interesting language though, and Visigothic Arians used Wulfilas' Bible and the form of Gothic in it as their liturgical language

That sucks. I thought it was still spoken by some people somewhere, it's pretty interesting since it has its own alphabet and phonetics.

The visigothic kingdom had gone through a civil war where the main line of kings was overthrown by Roderick. Arab raiders effected him after his men deserted his army and the Berber raiders destroyed a few towns and killed some captured nobles. If Spain was never conquered then a few decades later charlamegne would've probably invaded and conquered all of Spain like in Italy. Spanish, Portuguese, and Catalan would likely not exist today and there would be very different Hispanic dialects. Likely the Sephardic jews would've never existed because they were being converted to the catholic faith under the visigothic kingdom. Spanish priests would've supplied ecclesiastical support to the Islamic governed North African church so a native Berber church might still exist today probably assuming the Almohads and Almoravids never come into being.
I think the Mozarabic rite would probably still be the primary liturgy of the Spanish church. Although I'm not sure. The world would definitely be different today.

>If Spain was never conquered then a few decades later charlamegne would've probably invaded and conquered all of Spain
>If Spain was never conquered
>charlamegne

He meant if Spain was never conquered by muslims

>If Spain was never conquered
>charlamegne

Chindasvinto did nothing wrong, the nobility had it coming

what about Charlemagne. you know he wouldve.

Tfw playing a comfy Vandals campaign im Attila Total War where I control Sardinia and Corsica. Gonna help Rome against other Germanic shitters

>I've also read a couple good books focusing on the linguistic evolutions in the period, in particular with Iberia
any recommendations?

As an orthofag:
>berber church;
>mozarabic rite being predominant;
Brings a tear to my eye, due to how awesome it sounds.
But i don't think the latter would have been a thing, due to general centralising tendencies in both East and West when it comes to rites, and Trent making the roman rite mandatory everywhere.

Late Latin and Early Romance in Spain and Carolingian France by Roger Wright. One should have some background in linguistics or at the very least a romance language though

>tfw Roderick condemned the nation into doom

> muslims never invade france
> charlemagne rising to power
are you really this retarded to not be able to understand basic cause and effect

>Apparently they pretty much lived like being in the Roman Empire without the taxes
except for architecture, arts, literature and infrastructure
oh and romans were officially second-grade people
and the country would be called Godia now (just like Gaul became France)

>the country would be called Godia now
Nah, it would still be called Spain due to Isidore of Seville

its not like franks completely loose all their dominance in western europe without Charlemagne.

The world would be a better place