Columbus, Indians, and being Woke

So I saw today that a Christopher Columbus monument was destroyed with a sledgehammer. All the replies were people praising the sledgehammer.

Obviously I assume the history of European-Native American conflict is complicated. But I haven't read that much about it myself. Can someone here sort out to what degree the conflicts were a deliberate genocide, rather than a combination of natural conflicts and disease spreading?

Were the Europeans actually villainous by the standards of the era?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AJ9wvHq3eQ8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Legend
youtube.com/watch?v=fetksF6w9A4
youtu.be/d9DUqjNMZ60
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I suggest you read Bartolomeo de Las Casas. The shit that was going on in the Caribbean was absolutely horrific, even by the "standards" of the time.

>All the replies were people praising the sledgehammer

Certainly, a sledgehammer that can break up a statue is a well built sledgehammer.

First of all nobody gives a shit about statues other than those assblasted by them.

Secondly, on the indian issue: America exists as a sovereign country because of the injun problem. Specifically, the British King wouldn't allow white settlers to remove indians or squat on their lands if those tribes recognized the Crown. Many obviously did, and this effectively halted American expansion at Indiana. Following the American Revolution, Indians were marched at gunpoint to the vast desert wasteland that is Oklahoma which nobody wanted. Many died during this "Trail of Tears" and as a result of the relocation to a literal wasteland many died and remained poor. A similar fate almost befell Mormons (who worship indians as lost jews) but with Utah, but they were white and therefore able to create a civilized society. Today most injuns are hated by both Mexicans and Americans alike for being drunk thieves who spend all their money on alcohol.

For comparison, ones in Canada fared much better as they weren't relocated and are just general lower class people instead. Down in Mexico all natives were enslaved and put into labor camps, and now Mexico has constant civil unrest due to those groups organizing groups (the catholic church, cartels, communist secessionist forces, etc) opposed to the Mexican government.

Thirdly, to answer your question: no not really since each European country had a different policy. Spain/Mexico was borderline genocidal (comply or die), America's was relocation, and England's was full civil rights as Commonwealth citizens. France was irrelevant because their colonial adventures ended with the Louisiana Purchase.

Look up the treatment of Indians by California missionaries and settlers as well as info on Lincoln as it relates to the Minnesota territory

What people don't understand is that Columbus WAS a shit, to the point Isabella of Castille herself denounced him

Really? I thought at this point nobody except some Italian-Americans cared about Columbus anymore. Plus its common knowledge that Viking explorers reached America first, that kinda steels Columbus's thunder IMO.

This has been going on throughout the Americas for decades.

Many if his own crew hated him. They even hauled him back to Castile in chains on charges if brutality and negligence.

What this guy said is important:
Each Euro country had major differences in racial and colonial policy and shouldn't be painted with broad strokes.

He decimated and enslaved whatever natives he found, outright got information concerning those lands and more importantly gold deposits through deceit and torture, allowed his crewmen to keep young women openly as rapeslaves, besides being an incompetent administrator that lost as many footholds as he founded, and whose greed of becoming admiral and recieving governorship of the lands he ravaged was greatly outgrew by the Crown's interests of actual viable investments, all of this he outright states in his letters, along with those of his crewmen, which you can easily google, I figure
The moment he returned from his first contact with slaves to present at court, queen Isabella immediatly ordered them to be made free, and eventually had Columbus arrested an on trial

I wonder what would happen if someone got a sledgehammer and wrecked the Lenin statue in Seattle.

>people praising the sledgehammer.
why though? I mean, the sledgehammer was simply doing its job, it had no say in the matter and certainly wouldn't take a stance on the subject if you asked it. sledgehammers by their nature are apolitical, a means to an end, obedient devices...

Yeah, I know. I said that because I though people do vaguely know that Columbus was an asshat.

based rational poster

Do it

all you need to know about native american conflicts shows up in nevada paiute: Wovoka

>be born in 19th cent Nevada
>toil as shitty ranch-hand
>bible.txt
>get sick in teepee
>trance.jpg
>awaken
>invent sick "Ghost" dance
>tell other tribes about sick dance
>tell other tribes dance makes God Cloud appear
>tell other tribes dance makes buffalo appear
>sioux tribes get to excited, say dance calls for death of whitey and fancy bullet proof shirts
>try Ghost Dance in midest
>get rekt at wounded knee

So? He still carved the path of the Americas.

But the Vikings didn't change the world.

Again so what? His discovery changed the world.

Only the left could be outraged on behalf of an extinct group from something that happened over 500 years ago. This is only about antinwhite race envy. These statues only cause anger because they remind the negros they have never accomplished anything.

Especially if it was a bronze statue.

youtube.com/watch?v=AJ9wvHq3eQ8

If you don't feel visceral hatred towards the people smashing those statues then you really don't belong here.

Similarly the guy destroying a 200 year old monument should be fucking executed on the spot.

Why the fuck is there a Lenin statue in Seattle?

Not remotely comparable. Confederate statues aren't even 200 years old, either.

Smash your face then fag

Yes it is, iconoclasts need to be rounded up and shot.

>tfw live long enough to see america eat itself
Yellowstone would be a great finisher.

United statian detected.

All Heil the Sledge Hammer!

I am inclined to agree with this.

This is about attacking the white race. Demonizing us and our historical figures is what feeds their base which is either cucked or has a self interest in portraying their own race as moral against the trickery of the white devils.

Leftists have gained far too much power.

I believe Republicans are to blame as their presidents appointed to Supreme Court Justices who turned out to be leftists. This undid the moral underpinnings of society and led to the revolution against all our former core aspects of identity.

Spotted the /pol/lack

Your victim complex is as bad as the SJWs you hate

Mad smallpox rapebaby detected. Enjoy your dead huritage.

I bet your tune changes when it's statues of lenin or people you don't like being torn down. Your shitty statues have no historical value and solely exist as a political statment.

I live in Seattle dumbfuck, I could take a sledgehammer to the lenin statue tomorrow if I desired.

I'm just not autistic like you.

That lenin statue is on private property. You'd be violating the NAP.

All of them alive. Meanwhile united statian pig population is decreasing and being replaced by mongrels. Face it, your time here is over.

>Down in Mexico all natives were enslaved and put into labor camps, and now Mexico has constant civil unrest due to those groups organizing groups (the catholic church, cartels, communist secessionist forces, etc) opposed to the Mexican government.
>The Cartels
>formed by natives
Lol wut. I'd be willing to bet that most prominent figures in the cartel are white Mexicans or mestizos.

Because Lenin was from Seattle stupid.

>he fell for the anglo lies

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Legend

Well then that solves the mystery as to why the statue is there. Maybe user should stop crying about it and buy some property across from the statue and build a statue of whatever their hero is flipping off in Lenin's direction.

>Dagos
>White
Shut up and die stupid Guinea

80% vs 20% Diseases vs Natural causes.
People have been dicks to one another since the beginning of time (look up fucking Turks and Mongol conquests), but the lack of an acclimated immune system to European pathogens really hampered the ability of the natives to recover and create an effective resistance.

Amazing, not a single person in this thread asks for proof or any link of any kind, almost as if OP is making it all up and people are going along with it to spin some sort of narrative. But of course that wouldn't happen on Veeky Forums, the users are too smart for that and the mods are on top of things aren't they.

Of course Eurangatangs are naturally villainous in nature.

So make a point and post some sources to back it.

Since you seem to lack any shred of reading comprehension let me spell it out for you.
OP is from /pol/ and has made up an event of "the alt-left" smashing a statue to the applause of an entire crowd. He does not have a single source to back up his claims, not a photo, article, video, link of any kind. 90% of the replies in the thread are people also from /pol/ spinning the narrative that all "leftists" want all statues from the past destroyed because "deys racist".

Since you seem to lack any sort of reading comprehension or basic civility, let me spell it out for you.

So make a point and post some sources to back it..

It might be best to point to each word in my last sentence and say it out loud to yourself so you can understand it properly.

Na our cause is protecting out selves from them not pushing our view and ideology on others.

>I don't like it so it didn't happen

the alt-left are violent and this has happened many times this months already.

Mexicans are all mestizos though.

>For comparison, ones in Canada fared much better as they weren't relocated and are just general lower class people instead. Down in Mexico all natives were enslaved and put into labor camps, and now Mexico has constant civil unrest due to those groups organizing groups (the catholic church, cartels, communist secessionist forces, etc) opposed to the Mexican government.

>This is about attacking the white race.
I mean, whites were the ones that started the race war. It just backfired now after some tension.
>Demonizing us and our historical figures
They arent really attacking statues of the USA side even if they were white, only the Confederate side. Can you imagine why?

Columbus was an asshat but he had nothing to do with black people.

The whole stupid rant is easily debunked:
youtube.com/watch?v=fetksF6w9A4

Seattle is basically Red Square.

Columbus was so fucked up and bad that they even taught us he was a bad guy in a 99.8% white conservative middle american elementary school.
Seriously, fuck him. He's only famous because italian-american dagos in the 20th century cried 'muh heritage' and wanted a day to commemorate this italian mercenary war criminal scum.

>Whites exist
>leftists consider this to be starting a war
Really activates the ol' almonds. Is this like how thoughts are violence?

Your problem is that you're assuming that the people saying Columbus was racist to Blacks care at all about facts. They don't. They're solely interested in fucking over Whites and will create narratives on the fly to justify it. You could demonstrate complete and absolute unequivocal proof that they were wrong: They'd just find some other reason to do what they do. Allow me to demonstrate:

No no, you misunderstand: Blacks WERE the people Columbus was a dickwad to. Blacks are the native inhabitants of America. The Iroquois, the Huron, the Chippewa, the Sioux, all of them were Black melanated men of color. The "square faced red man" is a false image created by Whites to hide the original and correct history, like when Whites say that Andrew Jackson was a Democrat or that Lincoln was a Republican.

Anyone saying that the people Columbus was cunt to were in no way shape or form related to the Iroquois, the Huron, the Chippewa, and the Sioux or that Africans physically could not reach the Americas given their lack of sailing technology is just a racist.

>they remind the negros they have never accomplished anything.
This.

I was in the peace corps, digging wells for isolated villages so they wouldn't get ambushed by lions and crocodiles at the river bank. When I came back a year later to check up on progress, they filled up the wells we dug with heavy stones because they ran out of water. Instead of digging down a few more feet they destroyed their only source of safe water to 'spite' the white man's well.

Fuck them. They are inferior.

How the hell did they pull themselves away from their endless plates of gabbaghoul to complain about something?

Yea yea, we all know your song and dance, you would gleefully cave in a black person's head with a rock before eating his family because he is a disgusting savage.

I don't even understand why Colombus is venerated in the USA, he has nothing to do with any of the North American colonies

Greasy wops were getting pissy about things and the American government needed to placate them somehow, so they sifted through history books and found this Columbus guy and said 'hey, lets make a holiday of him'.

Cut to decades later and the American tradition of lionizing and glorifying literally anything that happens or is celebrated on your soil to the point where you got movies making mythology about a bunch of backwoods hillbillies shooting each other in the woods for years over a pig. Well this general attitude causes them to venerate this dude because they have a holiday named after him.

>The moment he returned from his first contact with slaves to present at court, queen Isabella immediatly ordered them to be made free
What happened to them?

Im a fucking communist and even I think its bullshit
Hell, the thread on that was my last straw of dealing with the Liberal Idpol bullshit thats infected Leftypol since the election
ISIL tier stupidity that doesn't harm the upperclass in the slightest

>The left
More like centrist capitalist defending liberals that have been tricked by media into thinking they are Left.
Trust me, actual commies think statue busting is nothing but part of the Spectacle to distract the people
Stop swallowing mainstream bullshit as fact you /pol/tard fag

Your Right wing idpol and liberal idpol are both bullshit
Fuck off with your muh white race faggotry get the fuck out
Youre just as retarded as the people you hate
youtu.be/d9DUqjNMZ60

Maoists aren't communist then

So this is true?

Yes absolutely correct. I actually saved that image the other day myself.
Of course not fuck Mao and fuck tankies and third worldists, theyre a bunch of edgy faggots

The portuguese captain Pedro Cabral would have literally discovered america by accident if colombus didnt exist in our timeline. Increasing portuguese sea traffic in west africa was making it highly likely

>a single statue of lenin in the US
>non sequitur ramble about a government conspiracy against him

>things that never happened: the post

>where you got movies making mythology about a bunch of backwoods hillbillies shooting each other in the woods for years over a pig. Well this general attitude causes them t
The fuck are you even referring to?
Honestly Eurofag beliefs about American culture are so misinformed by Hollywood and their own governments using us as WhatAboutism defense of their own bullshit that theyre opinions on us dont mean jack

>lions and crocodiles
>In the same biome
Lol cool story bro xD

>Christopher Columbus monument was destroyed with a sledgehammer.
>check video
>it's just the base of the monument
Lame

>But the Vikings didn't change the world

Oh yes, they did. The Vikings influenced the paths of their neighbors, as well.

I am talking about how Americans have given so much attention to something as stupid as the Hatfield–McCoy feud to the point where this three part miniseries, each episode being long enough to pass as a movie, was made about it some years back.

while i am conflicted about the removal of confederate statues in the us, i am absolutely ok with tearing down columbus statues. he didn't even set foot in north america. why is the us treating this guy as a forerunner for the us? sure he may have lit the spark for discovery but he should not be aligned with the foundations of us history. if anything, we should have a statue of an historical voyager that actual traversed today's united states. my knowledge fails me in this regard though. i'm sure some user out there knows a few that could meet the standard.

>Were the Europeans actually villainous by the standards of the era?

Yes they were, there were some priests that were appalled at the treatment of Arawaks by Columbus and his posse.