Catholicism vs Orthodoxy

Catholicism Vs. Orthodoxy

Which is the superior one? Do we have more in common than we have differences? Which is the true Church?

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East–West_Schism
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Which is the true Church?
lol &humanities

Catholics, as we are giants capable of holding churches with ease

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East–West_Schism

>2017
>autistically caring about the different branches of the same religion

They're not really the same. Catholics are papists.

Different theology as well.

In thought, Orthodoxy has been better imo. Catholics have allowed too much bullshit like Papal infallibility, intercession, purgatory, etc to taint the doctrine of the church.

In practice, Catholicism has done more good and charity for the world and kept the west together while Orthodoxy was just a total subservient bitch to the state at all times

>not following Jesus

Shame.

VATICAN 2

More like Vatican JEW.
If you aren't Sedevacantist, you're a Satanist

Orthodoxy is inarguably closer to how the church was in the 4th century than Catholicism.

The Catholic church would argue they didnt change anything they did not have the God given authority to change, at that most their changes were aesthetic rather than changes to the doctrines, and what changes they did make were clarifications and elaborations rather than "changes"

>total subservient bitch to the state at all times
You could argue that the western European states were subservient bitches to the Holy See (except for that time the french popenapped them, and the >h>r>e declared antipopes).
Orthodox chants sound incredibly spiritual to me. Catholic music seems... over the top.

>he doesn't listen to Gregorian Chants

Both are idolatry.

The Orthodox have better art.

Gregoria chants are considered Orthodox by the Orthodox Church. They are from before the schism and Gregory is an Orthodox saint.

Looks like something an elementary schooler would draw

I seriously don't think there's a better sculpture than this.

>In thought, Orthodoxy has been better imo
why would they have fallen for all those heresies in the first millenium then, only to be brought back each time by rome?

Wrong

Well Maria is a fucking giantess compared to jesus in that sculpture, makes it look kinda adorable.

If Maria and Jesus were to scale it wouldn't work

Athanasius was Rome? Cyril was Rome? These men saved us, not Rome

All the Ecumenical Councils were dominated by Eastern bishops, the Pope didn't even attend until the Fifth, when Saint Emperor Justinian literally took him there by force any coerced him into signing. Only time Rome made a serious contribution was Leo, whose Tome was reviewed in depth before approval

Orthodoxy isn't a place, it's a phrenoma and assembly. It's not about any infallible "place".

Maria was a Giant. This is canon.
Also, Michelangelo was the father of Mannerism, despite him getting lumped into the High Renaissance, because people hate Mannerism. He eschewed scientific accuracy in favor of highlighting ideal forms and emotional resonance.

>Maria was a Giant. This is canon.

Good. We need something new the Anne Frank stuff is getting old.

>ideal forms and emotional resonance
The Papist substitute for spirituality

Easy. The one you belong to. And if you don't belong to any then you're fucked.

So Ave Maria is actually Maria Avenue?

Papist are Muslim worshipping homos and pedophiles.

Catholicism for apologetics
Orthodoxy for aesthetics
Eastern Catholicism i.e. greek, arab, and slavic churches in communion with rome for both.

Eastern Catholic aesthetics are just cosmetics, they have no pedagogical or doctrinal or mystical function. They are just dead copies of us, counterfeit Orthodox, a pale imitation with no continuing tradition of fresh art and theology

Catholic apologetics are awful by both Christian and secular standards. They use circular reasoning and ridiculous proofs like, "Since God is perfect he must exist, or else he wouldn't be perfect. " There is evidence God exists but no proof, let alone in the Christian definition

>true Church

Catholicism is always destined to lose in this board because this is an anglo/american board and it's a pillar of anglo culture to hate catholicism for literally no reason. It will never be balanced.

I myself consider that the differences are not that important, specially for laymen. Both have cultural backgrounds but those can be sub-divided too so they shouldn't be a factor.

>You could argue that the western European states were subservient bitches to the Holy See

You would argue badly. The Holy See didn't have that power.

>Pope Francis: """"Rights"""" of Migrants Trump National Security Concerns
I rest my case.

>They are just dead copies of us, counterfeit Orthodox, a pale imitation with no continuing tradition of fresh art and theology
Except melkites.
Those guys pull off crazy stunts, and have their own history that interacts with both Rome and the East, before and after the Schism.
Also pretty legitimate organisationally wise, though they said they will gladly step down and get absorbed by the See of Antioch if we ever fix this schism.

> They use circular reasoning and ridiculous proofs like, "Since God is perfect he must exist, or else he wouldn't be perfect. "

Well, St. John of Damascus did an early version of Aquinas's 5 ways in the 8th century, so it's not all bad.
They are ok at times, just sophistic and kinda stupid in certain scenarios.

for a short time Catholism was popular on /pol/ before the alt right kids realized it was less about fighting degeneracy and more about helping people regardless of whether they were European.

Orthodox became big because it loves ethnic clubs and hates "degeneracy" both things they could get behind.

I'm certain that it's also important the fact that /pol/ (as opposed to /int/ for example) is a massive american hugfest. Even those who aren't american are obsessed with american affairs. And as we all know in the USA catholicism is for spics and maybe the irish.

The problem here is that Orthodoxy is dominated by nonwhites, and cooperation is encouraged between churches.
They are the opposite, they just took superficial shit like how every autocephalous church is an ethnic hitch and ran with it.
I wish Patriarch Bart would anathamize these retards.

*blocks your path*

Melkite Patriach had to let the Pope literally step on his head to show submission after Vatican I.

John Damascene's proofs are just part of his summary of Aristotelian logic. That section of his work is considered practically irrelevant today, hardly worth reading.