Roman Republican Revivalism

Were there any movements towards the re-establishment of the roman republic?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cola_di_Rienzo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrygian_cap#From_Phrygian_to_liberty_cap
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commune_of_Rome
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Republic_(18th_century)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Republic_(19th_century)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't really know enough to say anything so I won't say anything

Okay, cheers for the bump though, i'm currently listening the the history of rome podcast, so i was wondering if the Dictatorial rule had a solid grip on power (at least in terms of what governmental system rome had) or was challenged by the patricians, who obviously would have a lot to gain via the republic.

I don't really know anything of the topic, so I won't post anything

After Caligula was assassinated.

Tiberius and Claudius all promised to return power to the Senate, but they changed their minds.
The Senate was going to take power after Nero's death, but then Galba and his army showed up and they let him do what he wanted.
After that it was a military despotism.
There's this guy though en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cola_di_Rienzo

Yep, that battle really showed Tiberius is the most powerful man who ever lived

Better question: why was the cap used by iranics associated with republicanism when Persia was the archetypical ancient despotic monarchy?

>that article
holy shit

Well, it was associated with the french revolution, but i haven't the foggiest on why the french would wear them.

Something about this was given to the slave who got their freedom.

The Phrygian cap was confused for a similar kind of cap given to newly freed slaves in Rome and now the style has kind of stuck.

>In late Republican Rome, a soft felt cap called the pileus served as a symbol of freemen (i.e. non-slaves), and was symbolically given to slaves upon manumission, thereby granting them not only their personal liberty, but also libertas— freedom as citizens, with the right to vote (if male). Following the assassination of Julius Caesar in 44 BC, Brutus and his co-conspirators instrumentalized this symbolism of the pileus to signify the end of Caesar's dictatorship and a return to the (Roman) republican system.[2][not in citation given]
>These Roman associations of the pileus with liberty and republicanism were carried forward to the 18th-century, when the pileus was confused with the Phrygian cap, with the Phrygian cap then becoming a symbol of those values.

In revolutionary France
>In 1675, the anti-tax and anti-nobility Stamp-Paper revolt erupted in Brittany and north-western France, where it became known as the bonnets rouges uprising after the blue or red caps worn by the insurgents. Although the insurgents are not known to have preferred any particular style of cap, the name and color stuck as a symbol of revolt against the nobility and establishment. Robespierre would later object to the color, but was ignored.
>The use of a Phrygian-style cap as a symbol of revolutionary France is first documented in May 1790, at a festival in Troyes adorning a statue representing the nation, and at Lyon, on a lance carried by the goddess Libertas.[4] To this day the national allegory of France, Marianne, is shown wearing a red Phrygian cap.[5]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrygian_cap#From_Phrygian_to_liberty_cap

By the time Augustus dead there was pretty much no one alive who remembered the republic as a functioning system of government.

While some romans, partuclarly the upper class continued to talk about the value of liberty and other republican values, in practical terms most were only interested in getting an emperor that respected the senate of its failing republican organs.

I heard that there where apparently some short lived tries around the 12th century. Might be wrong though, since the only probably untrustworthy source I have is an videogame let´s play. Even if some of them talk about history, I don´t trust most of them.

yes, the senate saw a resurgence of prominence during the 5 good emperors, starting with Nerva. That all sort of fell apart with Aurelius's living abortion known as Commodus. After that they were mostly ceremonial.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commune_of_Rome
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Republic_(18th_century)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Republic_(19th_century)

it's a shame they all went down. Imagine Rome being a state like Monaco.

This. Also Augustus flirted with the idea of returning the Principate back to the Republic but he was too smart for that.

Nero Drusus and Germanicus were both potential imperial candidates with either Republican sympathy or perceived republican sympathies.

Nero Drusus was either murdered by his mother or died in an accident, Germanicus killed by his uncle Tiberius.

Perhaps after the death of Nero a Republican emperor could have been proclaimed, but it was probably too late. Germanicus was their last chance and that was why he, and by extension Caligula, was loved so much.

Why did you post a smurf's hat with no smurf

its a phrygian cap. its a symbol of republicanism since the french revolutionaries started wearing them to larp as ancient republicans

this guy too
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cola_di_Rienzo

That article is pretty hard to follow

The republic had a slight resurgence in relevance after the death of Maximinus Thrax and arguably could have re-established there power in the power vacuum after the death of Caligula. The Pretorian guard after always had far more influence however, it was pretty much the Emperors discretion to show deference and respect (Trajan) or disregard (Diocleatan, Domitian)

it's a bit jumbled and they don't explain what the fuck tribune and senator meant a thousand years after the original republic but i guess i get that the guy was just a loon with a dream

>killed by his uncle

this is speculation but you say it like its fact.