The Mafia

Red pill me on the mob. Did they do any business with Al Capone? Is it true that Lucky Luciano helped American troops during WW2? What brought their downfall? Are they still powerful today or have the cartels and blacks taken over?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'Ndrangheta
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>blacks taken over

How can a race take over a gang?

>Did they do any business with Al Capone?

...umm, yeah they did.

They are not really that powerful anymore. They used to mainly supply drugs to ethnic gangs to front their sales but now the cartels have taken that over so they are left with extorting businessmen like Trump by manipulating construction unions, and taking payments from various small businesses.
A lot of successful Mafia men had their familes go into legitimate business and move away from crime, the FBI pretty much destroyed them in the last 20 years due to informants.
Its still as strong as ever in South Italy though.

I meant organized crime

They use black people to do the mid and low level dealing and take all the damage.
I dont think there has ever been black "organised crime".

I'd suppose they are still powerful in the sense an average person would really not want to piss off a mobster, but I doubt organised crime is that lucrative anymore outside of drugs, which cartels seem to have locked down.

>What brought their downfall
Successful changes in law. The biggest problem with dealing with the mob was that while you could occasionally get the odd goon or even captain for something, the Boss was almost always able to avoid litigation.
With RICO, they were able to nail the guy giving the orders. This killed the old Mob.

That, and when alcohol became legal their biggest source of profit got cut off because they didnt have a monopoly on it anymore.

Blacks were always the street thugs and dope peddlers and never the ones on the top. That was the case 90 years ago and is the case now.

Italian mob is still extremely powerful in France, Germany, Spain, and obviously Italy itself. It's just America where it disappeared and got replaced by Latin Americans.

Yeah, and people didn't want to drink wood alcohol and go blind. Ultimately, they failed to corner the opium market when they could have

>but now the cartels have taken that over
Is there any other US-based organization that can take on the cartels? As in on US soil? Because no shit, the cartels are going to reign supreme in their home countries.

>Ultimately, they failed to corner the opium market when they could have
I've read some interesting accounts of high-level Mafia guys touring SE Asia in the 1960's and 1970's to make deals with the local suppliers. Stuff like American Gangster wasn't as far-fetched as people would like to believe.

The Italian Mob, no. The biggest modern "organized" crime endemic to the US are the black gangs, who are just disorganized groups of people who commit petty robberies and deal dope. They're a bigger threat to themselves than to the cartels, from whom they get the dope.

My cousin lives in New Mexico and the stories he tells us about how fucked-up the border is and the problem with cartels operating there makes me wonder why don't we have our National Guard do sweeps across the Southwest.

>Ultimately, they failed to corner the opium market when they could have
Eh, not really true, american mafia was heavily involved with heroin wholesaling since the 40s despite the Hollywood meme about them not wanting to deal drugs.

I live in AZ, there's probably cartel thugs in the very building I live in.

>Due to informants and RICO
Fixed.

Hollywood crime movies ruin our perception of reality in so many ways it's not even funny.

It wasn't as widely practiced as bootlegging. Another factor is that Heroin simply wasn't as in demand as Alcohol. Most people drink, not many people shoot up. It's a niche market, really.

LA Noire told me the Jew mafia was stealing and selling military supplies of morphine, any truth to that?

Drugs are basically for failures and rich people who are stressed too much. Very niche. Alcohol is even a working mans sin on the other hand.

>despite the Hollywood meme about them not wanting to deal drugs.
lel troof

John gotti's grand son got busted a couple months back out in Howard Beach selling oxys, he was literally doing it out of his mother's basement with her full knowledge and encouragement.

mow man muh mace make move muh mang?

>southern italians

>south Italy
And the north.

>John gotti's grand son got busted a couple months back out in Howard Beach selling oxys, he was literally doing it out of his mother's basement with her full knowledge and encouragement.
>even gottis, the descendents of the aristocracy of organized crime, live in their mother's basement these days
lads what has become of our generation

something is deeply wrong

Capone was the mob, and did buisness with other families, the mob isnt a single entity
>Is it true that Lucky Luciano helped American troops during WW2?
by keeping the docks free of sabotage, yes
> What brought their downfall?
RICO + informants
>Are they still powerful today or have the cartels and blacks taken over?
yes, but not as before though

LIES

DELET THIS

The traditional Sicilian mob is not at all powerful in the US. The heads of the Five NYC Families are all in jail, Mafia has been completely kicked out of the Midwest, drug business got completely taken over by the cartels. In fact I'd say Ndrangheta is now more powerful in the US and they aren't tied to the traditional mobsters at all.

>T*rrone spreading lies to make the south look less shit

Al Capone went down for tax evasion around the same time Luciano overthrew Maranzano. They had dealings but Al Capone wasn't part of the classical 30s, 40s, and 50s mob we think of.

>Is it true that Lucky Luciano helped American troops during WW2?
Luciano was framed for prostitution racketing and got life imprisonment but he still ran the Commission from prison. Meyer Lansky convinced Luciano to cooperate with authorities to help keep the NYC docks clear of German sabotage in WW2, reason being that safe waters were beneficial to Mafia smugglers too. In return Luciano was released from prison but was deported to Italy.

What activities do they engage in in Southern Italy? How are they still so powerful? And what are all these differ organizations?

decline in average real wages compounded by ballooning house prices etc caused by deregulation in the financial sector leading to increasingly large (and reckless) mortgaging as well as lack of new construction due to increasingly centralised cities, decreasing space, and unwillingness to build up because 'muh scary tower blocks'

TL;DR do it again le corbusier

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'Ndrangheta
>A US diplomat estimated that the organization's narcotics trafficking, extortion and money laundering activities accounted for at least 3% of Italy's GDP in 2010.
>According to a 2013 "Threat Assessment on Italian Organised Crime" of Europol, the 'Ndrangheta is among the richest and most powerful organised crime groups at a global level.
>Italian anti-organized crime agencies estimated in 2007 that the 'Ndrangheta has annual revenue of about € 35–40 billion (US$50–60 billion), which amounts to approximately 3.5% of the GDP of Italy.
>This comes mostly from illegal drug trafficking, but also from ostensibly legal businesses such as construction, restaurants and supermarkets.
They're much bigger than the Mexican cartels too.

The Jew mafia is a meme. It was all Irish with Jewish family names and such.

Fuck off jidf

t. Schlomo