With almost all books from the antiquity are lost...

With almost all books from the antiquity are lost, do we know whether the greeks and romans had some kind of science fiction? Did they think that technology would largely stay the same forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_History
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_History
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somnium_(novel)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Couldn't some of Greek philosophies and theoretized inventions be considered science fiction? Hypotheses, like the atom, or the steam engine, which later on turned out to be true and achievable?

well, Herodotus did made a lot of things up or embellished sailors tales and superstitions, I have no idea if his contemporaries took everything at heart or chuckled to some of his notions

The idea that the future would be radically new was a Zoroastrian/Judaic development.

explain

Common meme but probably wrong. Aristotle for example had a cyclical view of history but thought those cycles might be extraordinarily long. A lot of people argue about this because look at how later Christians developed modern science and mathematics compared to the Classical world but the ancient Jews and Iranians contributed zilch to that.

As for science fiction, you can't really call it that but a precursor is the trope of the fantastic voyage. Lucian's True History is interesting in that regard.

>but the ancient Jews and Iranians contributed zilch to that.
They contributed during the Abbasid times

>look at how later Christians developed modern science and mathematics
This is good bait. Cheers.

Yea Atlantis is a pretty big sci fi story pulled out of Platos ass.

>The greeks had calculus
Really fired my neurons

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_History

holy shit, this is amazing, how come I've never heard of it, thanks user

I'd like to know that if we stumbled upon some hidden ancient literature, if it was common stories of the people at that place and time, or just some guys erotic Aphrodite fan-fiction he shared with nobody.

The concept of scientific advancement is relatively new, and it is necessary for proper sci-fi art. Shelly's Frankenstein is, I'd say, the first real sci-fi novel. There are cases such as en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_History and en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somnium_(novel) , but I'd much sooner classify them as fantasy, since they don't offer any (pseudo-)scientific explanation of the fantastic phenomena.

>acorn dogs

"Do you guys seriously believe this shit? Herodotus was a fucking liar."

How can one man be so based?

i'm continually surprised and pleased by how many people in the Roman times used their spare time to complain about things in increasingly complex ways

You got to have something to do while waiting in the bread line and for the next chariot race or gladiatorial game to begin.

>Implying we do 't do that
just look at /v/

This BTFOs the retards who believe that ancient peoples were all dumb, fully superstitious and lacked critical thinking

I don't know about Aphrodite, but Solomon's Testament feels a bit like one