Post war masks

Post war masks.

Why weren't they used more often? Why use a helmet with nasal when you can have a metal mask protecting your entire face?

Visibility is shit

Breathing and vision.

Virtually all helmets that cover the full face were cavalry helms.

Besides that getting a spear or a mace into the mask would smash it in your face and knock your teeth out, preferable to dying but not fun.

Didn't they wear protection below the mask to avoid that?

Some padding is likely but I wouldn't have source on it.

The bottom may also have been attached to a collar to make it less likely to smash into your face but overal it wasn't the best solution for facial protection.

if vision is an issue why people used shit like this?

FU, these count

The choice between not seeing everything or getting a couched lance planted in your face is easy. Besides that one can raise the visor easily while still having a lot of protection.

plate armor looks so fucking boring

Why do you think that?

I think that because it's fucking bland looking. Even greek hoplites looked better.

t. Homofaggot

Maybe you haven't been looking good enough.

Asaro mudmen have some sick masks.
Imagine walking in the jungle at night at coming across this

historically it was painted with a coat of arms or something but Victorian renewals opted for a boring, silver look

ur gonna get eaten

what the origins of that reproduction ?
it looks sick as fuck but i cant find anything about it or where i can buy one

Not the user who posted it but I think they were used in a game where people would throw dull javlins at each other and that it was to protect their faces/eyes. I think that roman standard bearers and cavalry sometimes used masks like this in the imperial period.

i mean that reproduction in particular.

i know its a reproduction of a roman cavalry masks but i cant find who makes that particler model

Not sure if that helps but I think it was found at Kalkriese, the actual place of the battle of the Teutoburg forrest.

that's interesting so that implys it was used in battle rather than just parade

/thread

really /thread

Really? I had been under the impression that the coat of arms was displayed on the shield, and on fabric coverings here and there.

Not necessarily. Most everything the legions carried would have wound up left on the ground at Kalkriese, or carried off by the victors.

Sick design

Roman writers also report they were used in battle in the Middle East. Saying they were impervious to arrows everywhere but the eyeholes.

Best war mask coming through

Top tier african war mask. Notice how niggeresque it is

Pull down the visor for protection when you're preparing to wade through volleys of missile fire or face a cavalry charge.
Pull it up for visibility and air when you're getting into a melee.

>Yo dawg I heard you like faces so I put a face on your face on your face

Don't bait unless you're a master baiter.

Normans are best knights.

what are those weird crosses on their vestiments called? I know they are french in origin (probably)

fleur de lile

It's a similar cross to the Fleur de Lis, I think thei knights on the right are either Maltese or maybe Spanish from what I can tell.

no no, I was talking about the black crosses from the dude on the dexter side of it, I've seen them before on the flag of a french province thats near england, I

FOUND IT
in heraldry its called an ermine

Good find chief

Brittany

Its supposed to represent ermine or something.

ermine blows

vair is where it's at

BREIZH
R
E
I
Z
H