Veeky Forums reading

What are you reading right now?
I'm reading "The History of Byzantine State and Society" by Warren Treadgold.

Bell of Fujisan.
It's memories of a hitchhiker who traveled across Japan in 1980's, but on top of his impressions it's also chockfull of historical trivia and folk lore.
Good read. It probably wasn't translated to any major language though.

From Cyrus to Alexander

> "The History of Byzantine State and Society" by Warren Treadgold.
patrician

how is it? i've heard it's super detailed

There's a lot of discussions about sources and Briant showing you how he got his conclusions
It's good, although slow

Finishing up "A Team of Rivals", I had no idea the Lincoln assassination was part of a conspiracy to assassinate Seward and Johnson as well.

A brief History of Ireland and Dancing in the glory of monsters alongside LOTR

Previous book: "Rome's Last Citizen"

Current book: "African Kaiser"

Next Book: "The Best Land Under Heaven"

>What are you reading right now?

After the Teaching Company's excellent The Conservative Tradition I decided on the Red Flags to learn a bit more about the leftist tradition.

I bought a combined book containing the Iliad and the Odyssey.

It is simply amazing. Yes I am starting with the Greeks, doing a chronology in literature and philosophy. Hope to have reached the 20th century in a year or so.

This guy really likes Patraeus.

Also, it's more interesting to read when you know what happens next.

I am reading Tomb of Lenin: The Last Days of the Soviet Empire and All the Shah's Men, which is about the coup that deposed Mossadeg

Just started this one. Pretty good thus far

Looks interesting, how is it?

Stefan Zeromski,Ash

Baburnama, by Zahir ad-Din Muhammad Babur, the founder of the Mughal empire. He was a pretty cool dude, his sensibilities are at times really modern, and at other really foreign. The book is pretty much unique in the Islamic and central Asian literature too.

Ammianus Marcellinus' History.

Anyone ever read Wages of Destruction? Is it any good? I've read a few reviews and people seem to say it's important, but never if it is actually well written or if you need to have a firm grasp of economics to understand it.

>Previous
Procopius' "The Secret Histories"
>Currently
"Soldiers and Ghosts" A History of Battle in Classical Antiquity
>Next
Either John Keegan's "World War II" or Suetonius' "Lives of the Caesars"

Travels into Bokhara, by Alexander Burnes. He was a british army officer tasked with travelling to Bokhara during the Great Game against Russia to find a land route there, and to see what's what on the route over there. It's full of really cool stuff like a description of the lives and conditions of workers in some salt mines in the Hindu Kush, going """""hunting""""" (really ordering his royal guards to go into the brush and shoot everything they see while they watch) with Dost Mohammed Khan, and almost getting BTFO a bunch of times by slaving Tatars or Sikh fanatics.

Didn't Seward's assassin escape and join the papal guard or something?

Social Democracy in Neoliberal Times

I hope this is an ironic pick.

Reza Aslan is a liar with an anti-Christian agenda - given he's a dirty Mohammedan.
This book is just New Testament scripture quoted out of context to bolster his fabricated claims about Jesus.
The academics who study scripture from a historical perspective don't take him seriously and neither should you

it has been a good coincidence to find this thread, I was thinking on making something similar myself

The thing is, Im seriously considering making a rather deep videogame about various Veeky Forums stuff, the main themes being economy, military and goberning people, after the board game I was designing got too complex

There are some cool inherent features on the game, like transitioning from a semi-tribe type system of gobern, to a whole, semi-automized empire, and all the points in between

The thing is that, while Im very creative myself, you have to ask the people who like this stuff what would they want in the game, or what points it should be important on

So...yeah, that. Those that play 4x, what do you like from them and what you dislike; those that play AoE, what is there to like, economic simulator enthusiasts, etc.

Thanks for the help

PD: I ain't gonna ask /adgd/ for technical tips, they would devour my soul

I apologize lads, I had this tab, and the Veeky Forums videogames thread's tab too

I will copy paste my previous post and post it there

WE
But i'm reading Collision of Empires by Prit Buttar

"Post-Reformation Reformed Dogmatics: The Rise and Development of Reformed Orthodoxy, ca. 1520 to ca. 1725, volume 2: Holy Scripture: The Cognitive Foundation of Theology" by Richard A. Muller.

Also "The Metaphysical Club: A Story of Ideas in America" by Louis Menand.

Reading "A History of the Ancient Near East ca. 3000BC-323BC" by Marc Van De Mieroop.

I have compiled a reading list of sorts to read about that time period before Greece & Rome and want to dive into some of the text written during that time afterwards (Epic of Gilgamesh, Descent of Ishtar to the Underworld, Anzu,...)
Once I am done with my list, hopefully towards the end of the year, I would hope to do something similar with Greece and then Rome.

Form and Actuality
apparently History can be taken in a mathematical approach to find out what is happening in the future.

not Veeky Forumstorical per se but I am reading this right now

Previous: Baden-Powell: Two Lives of a Hero

Current: The Proud Tower

Next: The Great War at Sea: 1914-1918

>given he's a dirty Mohammedan.
Academics also don't take"zealous" christians seriously either.

>The thing is, Im seriously considering making a rather deep videogame about various Veeky Forums stuff, the main themes being economy, military and goberning people, after the board game I was designing got too complex

uh-huh.

Churchills History of the English Speaking Peoples. Anyone else read it?

Vodka Politics: Alcohol, Autocracy, and the Secret History of the Russian State
Book by Lawrence Schrad Mark

I am bit skeptic about it althou it is looks interesting.

I am trying my best at reading a collection of Nietzsche's works but the writing style really makes it hard.

Last book: Aristotle's Politics

Currently: Foucault's Security, territory, population

Next: Anyone got a recommendation?

Beyond Good and Evil

I wish I had read this when I was an edgy teenager.

Are there any good books on the Great Northern War? It's pretty underrated, so trying to find good material on it is tough.

>World Order by Henry Kissinger
I mostly agree with his descriptions of the Westphalian order and how it's good but all of his policy recommendations are fucking vile and doomed to fail.

>Orientalism by David Said
Fuck Ypipo: The Book. Somebody here pointed out Said's hypocrisies and how he ignores eastern Europe entirely. I do find myself agreeing with him sometimes but that shit gnaws at me.

>The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 by Anthony Beevor
I've barely started so I can't really give any impressions.

I know I'm relying to a day old post but try reading The Origins of Political Order by Francis Fukuyama. It could give you some gameplay ideas.

>David Said
Edward Said, I mean. Fuck. I don't know where I got David from.

>Look Away! by William C. Davis

It's incredible so far. He's a great writer and the book pulls no punches. Wish my retarded liberal friends would read it.

>Implying the Confederacy ever existed

That offends my feelings. Burn the book

>Are there any good books on the Great Northern War? It's pretty underrated, so trying to find good material on it is tough.

Really enjoying it so far

Bait

What? No I'm not baiting.

Trying to down this before volume 2 comes out. Wish me luck Veeky Forums.

I'm reading this thread.

You kind of have to learn how to read Said. Orientalism is definitely worth reading, but he pours a lot of his own emotions and personal politics into it to an extent that makes parts of the book seem more like polemics and editorial rather than scholarly work. It helps to understand that he is coming more from the background of literary criticism than sociology or history. Still, Orientalism is a massively influential work, and not being familiar with Said's argument will only hinder you in further study. If you can work your way through a book or essay by Michel Foucault, Orientalism should be a cakewalk (and will make a lot more sense to you: the methodologies are similar). I'd say the general thesis is pretty strong, but the book is a bit of a mess.

The Republic, and after reading most of Plato's other dialogues I'm pretty disappointed

"History of Anarchy in the World", but it's a quick pop history book. Before that I was Ibn Battuta's Travels, and I'm planning on reading a book called "Louis XI" by Joël Blanchard.

The Birth of Europe, by Jacques Le Goff

If it's anything like his first book, that's gotta be some pretty retarded pseudohistory. Interesting and entertaining nonetheless, but he makes a lot of flimsy assumptions and baseless claims.

That being said, I've just started his 1421 book, and it's reasonably good if you can see past the bullshit.

Plato's Republic

currently reading the twelve ceasars by suetonius. and it's amazing.

Yeah I'm familiar with Foucault and others like him. I'm half joking when I say he's saying fuck wypipo. I read Orientalism for learning historiography/metahistory purposes rather than gleaning historical insight from it. Said is not a historian and I don't read him as one. Still, it's interesting if a little frustrating at times when I remember his personal politics and identity. The absence of the Ottoman Empire except as an entity to be pitied in his writings is fucking bizarre. The Ottomans were not oppressed but oppressors themselves.

Hitler's Rockets The Story of The V2's by Norman Longmate. Very well sourced and articulated, like all of his works.

I wish it was in two parts:
>Part 1: The interesting stuff.
>Part 2: Why everything I say is right.

I want Part 2 to exist, so I can know for a fact Part 1 is good history, but I don't want to read it.
And currently they are mixed, and there is a lot of boring actual historical work dirtying up my interesting history reading.

now reading: Peter Levenda - Hitler Legacy: The Nazi Cult in Diaspora

next up: Sterling Seagrave - Gold Warriors: America's Secret Recovery of Yamashita's Gold

then: Christopher Simpson - Blowback: America's Recruitment of Nazis and Its Effects on the Cold War

I'm really enjoying it so far