All historical differences in wealth can be explained with climate zones

Temperate climate = wealth
Tropic climate = hell on Earth

Why did arid regions become so successful in ancient times? Is their archeological evidence for a different climate at the time (I've briefly heard about evidence for the Sphinx having signs of rain damage) or is that level of civilisation pre-industry easier to establish in such an environment?

Flood plains

One of the more subtle attempts to argue for jungle vikings being a thing, I give you that.

>arid
*mediterranean

Arid regions never were successful in the modern sense. Only a tad better than the shithole that was Europe in the dark ages.

Med regions are still moderately successful. They have shit economies, but still peace and the best health metrics in the world.

Most like Syria and Byzantium are yes but most notably Egypt et al are in the arid regions here.

Egypt was also centered around a massive and very fertile flood plain of the Nile.

Isn't South East Asia and India famous for their trading kingdoms that dotted the region? That being the reason Europeans wanted to be there in the first place?

They were more advanced than the native (north) American Indians and the Australian Aborigines that is for sure.

Well, India today, and especially the hottest corners like Bangladesh, are utterly underwhelming in terms of economic performance, whilst coastal China (with temperate climate) develops very well.

>it sometimes rained in northen egypt the 3000 last years
Who would have though

So Poland and Belarus should be as rich as Germany and Switzerland should be an absolute hellhole

Poland is rapidly catching up. Fastest growth of any large country in the EU.
And Switzerland *was* poor for a long time. Now it isn't, since it's located exactly in the mid of very successful, temperate climate zone countries.

Belarus has a retarded dictator, dunno what to say about it.

Poland, Belarus and countries like them are also on vast plains, with little natural defenses which makes it easier for invaders to rape and pillage it constantly pulling the development of the country down.

don't forget that Southern Europe and Turkey should be as rich as California

When was the last time a war was waged in Califronia?

so what you're saying is, it's not down to climate

Because they weren't arid you idiot. Ever heard of the Fertile Crescent? Literally the cradle of civilization.

I would say no, not in modern times, but 2000 years ago yes. Power and wealth accumulate over centuries.

California is a broke shithole with 3rd world infrastructure, not the best example.

Well consider how many times Mediterranean countries have been raped and pillaged since then.

>broke shithole
>highest GDP by far
>8th highest per capita despite massive population
>if it was a country it would have the 10th highest
in purchasing power parity
>12th highest HDI in the US
alright

for countries like Portugal it's zero times

They were doing OK until Salazar

Historically the regions Poland and Belarus occupy were wealthy indeed. It was the travesty of communism and WW2 that caused then to fall behind.

sounds like moving the goalposts to me bruh

>it's all climate
>well it's climate and war
>well it's climate and war and bad leadership

I am not the guy you're thinking I am. I say that it isn't climate, not since roughly Renaissance times [not because of renaissance just ability to adapt nature more easily]. Portugal is mostly mountains too, it would have been a poor country too if it didn't have colonies, since it doesn't have much in way of resources on its own. Guess what happened when they lost their colonies?

It usws to be alot more lush. Middle East used to have huge forests in ancient times even but modern middle east is the result of thousands of years of desertification and land degradation caused by farming.

By all rights, California should be at least three different states.

California is a catastrophic state. You can actually feel like you're going from 1st to the 3rd world when crossing the border from Arizona, and once you stray away from interstates the roads look like something you would see in Guatemala because they haven't been maintained since Eisenhower administration, LA has nonstop 30 mile long traffic jams because both the road network and public transport are Africa-tier, literal slums and shanty towns full of illiterate Central Americans right in downtown LA, one of the lowest IQs and highest highschool dropout rates in the country. Riverside metro is basically one gigantic ghetto. Go south from I-10 and you'll end up at Salton Sea (a dead toxic lake full of industrial runoff, feces and beaches made of fish bones instead of sand), Simi Valley is literally irradiated because of nuclear disasters, the entire southern half of the state is like a mixture of Robocop and Mad Max.
NorCal is probably better because of Silicon Valley and top universities but SoCal is a completely irredeemable shithole.

Explain North and South Korea then.

that's a narrative based on anecdotes

the hard facts place california well above most US states

>hard facts
The low IQ and low highschool graduation rates are hard facts, so is the absurd cost of living in CA.

this chart makes it look like the midwest is a good place to live. i can tell you that's 100% bullshit. Places like Kansas have infrastructure that looks like Mexico, there are no jobs , everyone has health problems and they can't afford health care, and the general culture is evangellical protestant (people who worship God with rock music)

the midwest you have in your mind is a fantasy.

Depends on where in the midwest. North Dakota or Minnesota blow California the fuck out with their low crime, high incomes and low living costs.

>there are no jobs
>Kansas: 3.7 percent unemployment
>California: 4.7 percent unemployment
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics

Not him, but I am curious why you put that graph. What on earth could anyone do about that?

Not live directly on top of a tectonic faultline? Even more retarded than living in the tornado alley really.

I am sure even you realize how retarded that argument is.

It isn't a retarded argument, living in an area prone to natural disasters is retarded. Look at Houston right now.

This is kinda devolving into a Democrats (West Coast) vs Republicans (Midwest) proxy war. It shouldn't.

ALL of the US is incredibly lucky geographically, being cut off from potential enemies by the ocean, with diverse wildlife and fertile soils and plenty of natural resources, including oil

>Midwest = Republicans
No. They're swing states.

Nonetheless, the users bashing the West Coast use rhetoric typical for Conservatives, arguing against same-sex marriage, liberalism, Mexican immigration, for gun rights and using the infamous "cuck" in filenames:

>People from tropical climates migrate to temperate ones and form slums
>People from temperate climate migrate to tropic ones and form prosperous colonies
y-yeah, definitely the climate

Was the east of North America famed for it's wealth before British settlement? What about those parts of south america and africa?
Tell me Veeky Forums about the sophistication of Tasmanians, as if
> All historical differences in wealth can be explained with climate zones
and this map is accurate, their civilizations should boast marvels that would put Rome, Iberia, the Balkans and near east to shame.
Not to mention the "hell on Earth" that is south east asia

Hillary, Bernie, and Trump are northeasterners

White enclaves in tropical and desert regions still manage to be wealthy.

California is doomed. A generation from ow it'llhave defaulted and gone bankrupt

they brought along established know-how

And when whites leave an area and it falls apart, are they taking all the know how?

Hillary is a midwesterner.

Because it was never spread and contained to that minority

Also they used laws and government to dominate the locals unto a second class position and stripped of power to keep said power. It was better to cut the nose to spite the face rather then to deal with a situation where non-whites were equal to you or had actual power to not deal with bullshit

>midget pyramids
>best attempt by a society with far more advantages than bronze age near east
>still get outdone by three thousand year old wonder from the middle east

This is true. Whites are the most adaptable people, we conquered everything from the Arctic to the jungles of Asia.

T.new world mutt

Also has the most people living in poverty of any state in the US and the 47th worst ranked schools in the United States.