What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Oil#Successor_companies
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Market liberalism can't deal with economic or social crises. The future, especially with the decline of liberal thought and the rise of Asia, is probably a trend towrads quasi-authoritarianism/flawed democracy/kleptocracy, whether of the tinpot or the technocratic kind. Turkey has hit this over the past couple years and the US is arguably approaching it.

guy fell for his own memes

Whole book was a psuedo objective feel good propaganda piece that was used by politicians and academics to justify how the west is superior and progressive

His model did not consider how a little bit of sophistication and alot of money can make Democratic systems completely ineffective. Suddenly, whatever their morality, they cannot cope with the world. Whatever the downsides of the alternatives, as presently evolved, democratic systems seems more like the administrative wing of the plutonomy, than a shrewd, dynamic, wisdom-of-crowds.

happens to the best of us

Hands on larger than life arrogant globalist Americans.

The price paid for defeating the USSR was too great, a radical form of Islam legitimized on the world stage was the the trap set by Charlie Wilson (Democrat) in Afghanistan.
Pakistan was allowed to Islamize under Zia, become a nuclear power and none seemed to care that their population was set to eclipse the USA's, what was Eastern Pakistan (Bangladesh) already is more populous than Russia.
Saudi petrobillions matched unprecedented US funding dollar for dollar and now Pakistan has the most formidable intelligence service in the world.
The proliferation of Sunni insurgencies was inevitable.
Bill Clinton didn't let the fact the soviet union had collapsed serve as an excuse to not kill slavs, in his dealings with Yugoslavia, a Democrat administration again not only protected but abetted the Mujahideen. Several veterans, (Khalid Sheikh Mohammed included) of this frontier would, in the inaugural years of this new age, commit the greatest attack on the american mainland ever.
What we were all sure was the world's sole superpower was humiliated as emblems of their strength were appropriated and flown into monuments of their systems.
If demographic, economic, and cultural trends are acknowledged we are obliged to concede that not only was 9/11 not a fluke but that there are far greater powers in this world than the USA.

I suppose you could point to the Quincy agreement as the moments the seeds were sewn but I think the Atlantic charter is even more appropriate. Old Anglo-Saxon colonial values finally yielded and were replaced by flimsy naive neo-liberal sentiments.

The 2008 economic crisis showed us the entire economy is a flimsy debt fueled meme

Seriously good post user.

2008 happened. We were literally two weeks from everything collapsing in the US. It showed that capitalism was far from infallible and that neoliberalism was ineffective at handling a crisis on that scale. Keep in mind that most people are still worse off now than they were before 2008. Almost a decade and nothing has been fundamentally fixed in regards to how our economy functions.

and
Challenge Fukuyama's world view more than anything. 2008 was a crisis that our system has usually used to drive big changes in institutions and policy. But what happened to the wise, agile Democracy? Instead we've gotten a decade of highly orchestrated obstruction from a congress completely owned by a narrow class of plutocrats. If democratic systems are ever "better", it must be accidental, for instance if the non-Democratic world is in smoking ruins.

>hahaha Charlie Wilson is why Wahhabism and it's militant practitioners became so strong
>history starts in 1947, anything before the Cold War can't possibly be significant
Get the fuck off my board you fucking idiot. That particular Pandora's Box was opened in 1931 by Herbert Hoover and the Standard Oil Company. Never post about the rise of Islamic terrorism again.

Charlie Wilson is why they received billions and were able to contend with a modern military, let alone the mightiest on earth... He is why they became so strong.
>history starts in 1947, anything before the Cold War can't possibly be significant
Both the Atlantic Charter and the Quincy agreement were before 1947...
regardless, the only prefect place to begin a historical explanation, is at the absolute beginning. For the sake of brevity I missed out a few major event, sorry... perhaps I should have started at the death of Muhammad or the Byzantine-Sassanian wars or started with the Greeks.
Sorry I didn't pin-point the exact moment which would have appeased your autism you chronologically illiterate shit-stain.

>That particular Pandora's Box was opened in 1931 by Herbert Hoover and the Standard Oil Company.
w-what?
>the Standard Oil Company
>1931
little problem user, the Supreme Court of the United States broke the Standard Oil Co into 34 companies in 1911, it's a pretty fucking famous case concerning the fortunes of the richest man in modern history. I'm guessing you mean SoCal which through it's subsidiary CASOC began drilling in Saudi Arabia 5 years after the fate you specified and 25 years after the dissolution of the company you named you fuckwit.
Also dare I ask, do you mean Herbert Hoover, then president (at-least in 1931, a seemingly random year you've chosen) or his son (of the same name) who was involved in several middle-eastern oil ventures in the 1940s?

Please user, tell me how "That particular Pandora's Box was opened in 1931 by Herbert Hoover and the Standard Oil Company."

>"Get the fuck off my board" he says
>"you fucking idiot" he calls me
How has someone as demonstrably stupid as yourself managed to maintain such arrogance?

9/11 happened

THE ZEITGEIST DECEIVED FRANCIS FUKUYAMA, EXPLOITING HIS HUBRIS, JUST LIKE IT DECEIVED GEORG WILHELM FRIEDRICH HEGEL.

HISTORY PRANKS, BUT FEELS NO JOY.

People believed it and got complacent.

The sitcom Seinfeld expresses the zeitgeist of the era. In no other time would people unironically watch a bunch of whiny jews with a perfect life do nothing except throw away perfectly good relationships and complain about nonproblems. Some of the women Jerry dates were ridiculously hot, yet he would get irritated because they sneezed funny or something and blow them off, this would be completely unbelievable nowadays. No one questioned any of this in the 90s.

>when you don't know that 1931 is the year that the US formally recognized Saudia Arabia as a country, and the Saudis give exploratory rights in Al-Hasa to Standard Oil of California (any idiot knows what happened to Standard Oil, but it takes a special kind of moron not to know that one of the successor companies kept the name), marking the beginning of formal US-Saudi relations, which would include arms sales in the next two decades and a permanent training mission and mutual defense agreement thereafter, thus lending continual long term support to the Saudi royal family and its state mandated radical fundamentalist interpretation of Sunni Islam, and instead of blaming the succession of presidential administrations responsible for this blame some congressman who made some arms sales to Afghan fighters in the '80s for the emergence of radical religious terrorists who were almost entirely foreign fighters from the Arabian peninsula and who received arms and financial assistance almost entirely from Saudis, were led by a Saudi, and whose entire religious justification was based in the official state religion of Saudi Arabia, Wahhabism.
They say you can't fix stupid, and by god they're right.

Can't wait for 2008 take two: electric boogaloo. Money's been cheap for a decade, we should see the end of neoliberal meme before the decade is over.

i know this is true and it makes me so sad and depressed

America and the West deluded themselves into thinking that their Liberal/Capitalist zeitgeist was the endgame of humanity. Western civilization will fall sooner, or later whether you like it, or not and mankind shall live on.

Whig history and self fulfilling prophecy
The disease prevalent among the progressives

Doesn't vast majority of westerners (and people in their influence) still act as if Fukuyama was right?

I mean you'll have hard time finding people who would say that liberal capitalist democracies need to be replaced, we still act as if we found the best or rather least bad political system. People argue that neoliberalism or brown people are making it bad, but they think it's because of the wrong politicians being on the top and electing different politicians would fix it.

Yeah, for the most part. People want stability especially after the political experiments of the 20th century. The material conditions that would cause people to seek an alternative to liberal democracy are also not nearly bad enough. It would have to be worse than the great depression for drastic political action to occur.

This graph looks so incomplete without Japan.

Given how many companies inherited the name, only an idiot would call SoCal, CASOC or ARAMCO standard oil, I bet you go into a pub and ask for a beer - you absolute spastic.
>one of the successor companies kept the name
>one of the successor companies
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Oil#Successor_companies
Anyway ignoring your horribly anachronistic nomenclature, you are still wrong. 1931 isn't a terribly relevant year and in no meaningful way defined US-Saudi relations, they still had fuck all to do with one another and it's why you saying
> That particular Pandora's Box was opened in 1931
is nonsense. It's a near arbitrary year, they didn't agree to missions or proper diplomatic relations until the Quincy agreement and certainly wouldn't have guaranteed military support.
I think you went and looked it up and realized how full of shit you were
> in the next two decades

>who made some arms sales to Afghan fighters
It was the largest covert war in human history, absolutely unprecedented, the only defeat of soviet forces since the 1920s.
>Under CIA's Operation Cyclone from 1979 to 1989, the United States and Saudi Arabia provided $40 billion worth of financial aid and weapons to almost 100,000 Mujahideen and "Afghan Arabs" from forty Muslim countries through Pakistan's ISI

Get the fuck off my board you fucking idiot. Never post about the rise of Islamic terrorism again.

Dont you think social democracy and Supernational organizations like EU can deal with economic and social crises?

History is important also fuck Behind the Meme in the skull

How do you know he was wrong?
His book aknowledged that setbacks are possible, but at the end of the day, you can't deny that the number of democracies is increasing

Not really. As much as globalists the world over are crowing there Brexit is cancelled, the EU is still staggering from the one two punch of the Greek debt crisis and the refugee crisis. People claiming the EU is stronger than ever are flat out ignoring the completely stagnant economic growth and spiralling democratic situation.

bump

What Democracies? Turkey has just ditched it's century long democracy. Venezuela has collapsed into a failed state dictatorship. Poland is slowly leaning to Authoritarianism. The Philippines elected a strongman. America's attempts to turn Iraq, Syria, Libya and Egypt into democracies has completely and utterly failed. There are no rising democracies