wtf I hate Romans now

Other urls found in this thread:

bibliotecapleyades.net/dragons/esp_sociopol_dragoncourt02_03a.htm#Part 1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Celts
>Holocaust
pick one.

>tfw Latin language is now dead, but Irish Gaelic is not, so the Celts won

Latin evolved and developed. Latin based / Latin influenced languages rule the world now. Nobody cares about your backward moonspeak (which also evolved and developed since 1st century AD)

(This is actually Carlin's conclusion in his book, lol. The Celts won because Irish Gaelic and Welsh are still spoken while Latin is not.)

>implying Celtic languages haven't changed since 50 BC
If anything, I guess Romance languages are closer to Latin than modern Celtic to ancient Celtic because of the literal culture and the influence of the Church.

>Latin language is now dead

Think again, kiddo.

>The Celts won because Irish Gaelic and Welsh are still spoken

I guess that 'victory' must have felt pretty fucking great to all the dead Celts rotting in their graves

Why there's a circle around Malta? They speak a form of Arabic there.

This is not my conclusion. This is Carlin's conclusion from his book, lol.

>This is Carlin's conclusion

Thanks, I'll make sure to never check out anything he has produced.

The Irish are Gaels not Celts.

ew vulgar "latin"

That wasn't his conclusion, it was just something an irish girl said to him as a kid.

It literally was not his conclusion, it was just saying that the fact that the old languages are still spoken means that the Romans failed to stamp out the barbarian cultures.

>The Irish are Gaels not Celts.
>trying to act superior after this display of retardation

get tae fuck.

Near the beginning he talks about how you sort of have to choose between toughness and technology. I imagine the WH40K space marines are the combination of both: savage upbringing, but then you get scooped up and trained and equipped. Has anyone evsr done anything like this IRL? Like, condemn some of your normally civilized population to savagery, then recruit from them into the army to get soldiers that combine the best of both toughness and tech, Celt and Ronan.

what a surprise that billy mcwilly doesn't know his history

If it means anything I speak Irish and I can read Irish from the 8th century without much trouble

Most Space Marines don't have a savage upbringing though, it depends on the place you grew up. If you live in Ultramar you probably had a pretty good life growing up.

lmao we wuz ulcer!! cú chulainn was a prod!!

That's actually pretty interesting, do you know if the spoken form has changed much since then?

Technically he tried to act superior "before" that display of retardation.

bibliotecapleyades.net/dragons/esp_sociopol_dragoncourt02_03a.htm#Part 1

Already been scholarly investigated.

How do you know he didn't formulate the idea in his head, then decide to tack on a snarky response but place it before the meat of the post in respect of syntax.

>Gauls
>human
Choose one

The celts were in many areas more advanced than rome.

Get out nerds

Name one

Metallurgy
Rome copied celtic tech because it was better

>few larping potato eaters
Vs
>official language of the Man boy love Italian chapter.

Gurkhas?

A lot of Roman soldiers were recruited from the rough semi-barbarian frontiers. Gaul was prime recruitment ground after Caesar took it over, same with Iberia and Batavia after the Romans conquered it.

they we savages. got what was coming to them.

It's a history board, only nerds would ever come here

I'm not an expert but a friend of mine studies medieval Irish poetry and according to her we can tell from rhymes and things like that that the pronunciation hasn't changed much, though there are a lot of grammatical quirks that modern Irish doesn't have

>Description: Julius Caesar is our travel guide as he takes us through his murderous subjugation of the native Celtic tribal peoples of ancient Gaul. It sounds vaguely like other, recent European colonial conquests…until the natives nearly win.
kek

The Romans never went to Ireland or Scotland, so they kind of win by default.

Latin has living descendents, Celtic is now the linguistic equivalent of the panda bear.

66% of Maltese also speak Italian.

It's adorable when it sneezes?

>If anything, I guess Romance languages are closer to Latin than modern Celtic to ancient Celtic because of the literal culture and the influence of the Church.
nah, I speak Irish and Old Irish isn't that different. Records don't go back to the 1st century though.

Is it
Seh-ltic

Or

Keltic?

It's kind of hilarious reading accounts thruought history of why different groups didn't invade Scotland and it was always "these guys are insane, fast, don't give a shit, and basically live off of oats and what they forage. You will be killed of you try to invade."

It's effectively extinct and only kept alive through concentrated effort by misguided people.

Never really stopped Rome before, main difference is what is even in Scotland to be worth fighting a bunch of batshit insane savages? Rocks? Sheep? Fuck that noise.

keltic

Keltic, but Seltic for the football club

There's literally nothing wrong with Holocaust.

This was probably one of my least favorite HH episodes. It kind of took him forever to get to the point, I really liked the one before it though. Maybe I spoiled it in some way because I happen to know a shit ton about this one topic, Caesar in Gaul that is. It's like one of the few events I've ever read serious literature on.

Fuck the Gauls

Caesar did nothing wrong.

The River Tiber's gotta foam with much blood.

Romulus not Remus okay? Ave Imperator!

Romans have always been assholes

Kind of.

You don't really want people with criminal backgrounds or people who can't work with others in a disciplined team. On the other hand, the Romans themselves believed that certain lifestyles prepared you better for soldiering than others. Farmers, quarry workers, construction workers, and other professions that require constant physical strain were considered to create better recruits than other less strenuous professions.

>Rotting

Try rotted, all those dead celts are long since passed the time of putrifying

Did someone say Celtic holocaust?