The bicameral brain

The bicameral brain.

What do you guys think of this idea? It posits that right hemisphere talks to left hemisphere. I've been reading a bit on literacy and orality. It argued that the bicameral brain is an oral residue from when we were purely oral cultures. Each form of communication has different consciousnesses.

Other urls found in this thread:

newsweek.com/concept-schizophrenia-coming-end-655207
theconversation.com/the-concept-of-schizophrenia-is-coming-to-an-end-heres-why-82775
youtube.com/watch?v=wULfQbf1wcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=L-g1FBlu4w4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No one can answer that question for you.

You have to listen to yourself

Ironically, only stupid people believe this idea.

Truly retarded. Among the many problems with it are the fact that all humans, globally, must have undergone this "collapse" from bicameralism at the same time, with no proposed mechanism for this to happen. There has NEVER been a tribe found that is bicameral, no matter how primitive and isolated they might be. There other main problem with it is that it's gibberish even on its own standards, go read the Epic of Gilgamesh and see for yourself that ancient people were perfectly capable of reflection and weren't all schizophrenics.

julian jaynes
'origins of conciousness in the breakdown of the bicameral mind'

he says that ancients weren't concious

homers heroes always asked the gods what to do

each residence had symbolic gods overseeing

he says that there was a breakdown, partition of the brain that happened a few millenia ago

religious mystics were the last of the original 'bicamerals'

schitzophrenics are residual bicamerals (who don't fit in)

itinerant desert preachers

something like that

>homers heroes always asked the gods what to do

Except when they didn't, you mean? Also, Epic of Gilgamesh is THOUSANDS of years older than Homer, and yet the heroes in it never ask the gods for advice, they instead reflect upon their own problems and come to their own conclusions.

>they never ask the gods for advice
That's wrong actually, Gilgamesh asks Shamash why he was given such a wild soul if he was destined to just be a king.

Fine, he ask one god one thing once. He's still in no possible sense "bicameral", he introspects and mourns not only his friend but his own inevitable death.

I don't buy the bicameral psychobabble. It's ideological nonsense made up by anthrocucks to justify their idolatry of progress. I just also dislike people being wrong about Gilgamesh.

Made by up by some atheist cuckold who can't comprehend some people really do believe in the supernatural without being schizophrenic.

Who are those girls?

99% of neuroscience is based on the fallacious principle that it is the brain of the autismo that thinks and not the autismo itself
the brain is not the mind, also kys naive autismo

Does anyone have the sex tape of them?

>99% of gastroenterology is based on the fallacious principle that it is the digestive system of the autismo that digests and not the autismo itself

digestion is a mechanical process retard.

Guess what retard? So is thinking.

and the propeller of a plane is responsible for flight
take away everything but the propeller and it will still be able to fly because ching dong, material objects posses immaterial attributes

>illiterate moron doesn't understand flight, thought, or digestion

I don't know I'm surprised that a retard who can't even use grammar can't use logic and reason either.

ding dong
ching chong
you cannot posses something that is not distinctly separate from yourself
'I' have a brain but I am not a brain
which means the 'I' has to be something other than the brain that is capable of being in possession of it.
thoughts and the act of thinking come from the immaterial 'I' not a material organ
>t.ricehead

Why do you imagine anyone cares what an illiterate thinks? Go back to wherever you came from, moron.

>go read the Epic of Gilgamesh and see for yourself that ancient people were perfectly capable of reflection and weren't all schizophrenics.
in his defense though, the version of the Epic of Gilgamesh that we would read would be like, the final version written in the last millennium BC, after the supposed bicameral event, with earlier versions of the tale lacking the literary sophistication of having characters who introspect.

>thought works the way i say because reddit sed it

>A U T I S M
>U
>T
>I
>S
>M

We have tablets with large sections of the Epic from very early on. It's not like Homer, where we only have very late copies because they were written on paper, those clay tablets can last indefinitely if they happened to get fired, and a lot of mesopotamian cities got burned down by attackers more than once.

Also this is only the lesser challenge faced by the "theory" (actually just a guess). There is no explanation for how this bicameralism collapsed EVERYWHERE on Earth at roughly the same time. It can't be the result of increasing societal complexity, because uncontacted tribes living in the jungle are unicameral and in fact no bicameral humans have EVER been found, anywhere.

>HURR

Go read a book, retard. Doesn't much matter which book, at your level you could use the remedial reading practice.

>translation
XO HONG XO XO XO CHI XO XO FUGN XO XO CHICHO XO XO

go tend your rice paddy
smog breather

I don't know or care why you think I'm Chinese, but please continue to display your profound mental retardation for all to see, it's very amusing.

>spring-roll loving chingomods deleted my post
lmao
Yes yes Mr. Fung anybody who disagrees with your childish materialism is just stupid
*plays DOTA*

>We have tablets with large sections of the Epic from very early on. It's not like Homer, where we only have very late copies because they were written on paper, those clay tablets can last indefinitely if they happened to get fired, and a lot of mesopotamian cities got burned down by attackers more than once.
And therein lies my point: we can track the development of the literary sophistication of a tale like the Epic of Gilgamesh, and it is only the later versions of the story where we are seeing characters engage in complex literary flourishes like introspection. Early versions are comparatively cruder and less developed.

>Also this is only the lesser challenge faced by the "theory" (actually just a guess). There is no explanation for how this bicameralism collapsed EVERYWHERE on Earth at roughly the same time. It can't be the result of increasing societal complexity, because uncontacted tribes living in the jungle are unicameral and in fact no bicameral humans have EVER been found, anywhere.
An even bigger challenge to the theory is that Schizophrenia is being widely discarded by the medical community in favor of a host, or spectrum of issues to the point where schizophrenia becomes a nebulous term without real meaning.

Still, it's worth appreciating why and how it's (probably) wrong for the simple fact that it asks questions that nobody else thinks to ask and proposes solutions which nobody considered.

Is this some kind new meme that the kids on /b/ are doing?

>And therein lies my point: we can track the development of the literary sophistication of a tale like the Epic of Gilgamesh, and it is only the later versions of the story where we are seeing characters engage in complex literary flourishes like introspection. Early versions are comparatively cruder and less developed.

You have made and obvious comment on the obvious comment in a very obvious way. Please accept this obvious.jpg award. for your obvious comment on the obvious

>An even bigger challenge to the theory is that Schizophrenia is being widely discarded by the medical community in favor of a host, or spectrum of issues to the point where schizophrenia becomes a nebulous term without real meaning. Still, it's worth appreciating why and how it's (probably) wrong for the simple fact that it asks questions that nobody else thinks to ask and proposes solutions which nobody

ironic shitposting is still shitposting. Either contribute to the discussion or fuck off

>contribute
Fucking legalist chingo
>STEMspergery
Don't you have some English homework to ignore, chingo?

I'm not even that guy you were talking too, I am someone just looking for an honest assessment on the pros and cons of the theory and you're not doing your side of the debate any favors by sperging out and memeing

>An even bigger challenge to the theory is that Schizophrenia is being widely discarded by the medical community in favor of a host, or spectrum of issues to the point where schizophrenia becomes a nebulous term without real meaning.
Are you autistic? None of this is true.

newsweek.com/concept-schizophrenia-coming-end-655207

>pros and cons
Ideology

>links to newsweek as a source
guess you are autistic

Even the earliest versions feature introspection, this is the motivating principle behind Gil's search for immortality. Later versions have more POETICAL flourishes but tell essentially the same story in the same terms.

>Hurr FAKE news
back to The_Donald, with you

>implying he'sbeing ironic

He got BTFO and is now shitting the bed because he's an autistic moron who can't process his own emotional responses, just report him until a mod bans his retarded ass.

proof?

>autistic screeching after refusing to accept a tabloid as factual
autism confirmed

Stop avatarfagging your reddit memes

Jesus fucking Christ, did you even click on the article? It flat out states where the article was originally published
theconversation.com/the-concept-of-schizophrenia-is-coming-to-an-end-heres-why-82775

fucking reddit spergs

stop being butthurt

HHA LMAO WTF XDDD LE REDDIT MEME XDDDDD

KYS yourself

Oh my, there seems to be an exceptional amount of shitposting in this thread even by Veeky Forums standards.

Always fucking wondered about those two, if you head drinks does the other get drunk too?

Best BLACKED vid ever, nigga gotta his salad tossed AND a hummer simultaneously

>ad hom

I guess you are retarded.

Yes, they share one bloodstream.

Some people mention the problem of simultaneous change, but the guy who proposed it also says that there is a transition period.
Also we do not know what the origin of the break is. What if it lies in our language, our patterns of thinking in meme but not gene mutation and transition. This might explain the rapid spread (since people talk and travel) and why we don't find tribes with it - we infect them with memes that cause the break to happen.

Or it could just be a whole load of bullshit

youtube.com/watch?v=wULfQbf1wcQ

youtube.com/watch?v=L-g1FBlu4w4

>ad hom
I googled it, think you should too

the fuck is this?

>planet

Can confirm, even Torontonians are treating it this way now. Suicide rates and modern genetic analysis lend a lot to the change, as well as the stagnating dopaminergic hypothesis.
>t. diagnosed with type-1 bipolar disorder last autumn

Anyone else desperately want to fuck them?

I didn't have to google it because I now what it means. It means "dismissing an argument because of the source", which is exactly what you did, dipshit retard,