Hanseatic League Thread

Post anything interesting on the Hanseatic League.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Hanseatic_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adler_von_Lübeck
dict.cc/?s=Kontor
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Their trade networks were a major factor in the "great divergence" between Europe and the rest of the world.

They developed ocean going cargo ships from older Norse designs.

They made connections to Genoa and Portugal linking trade to the Mediterranean, hastening the spread of technology and the development of Portugal's naval technology.

They allowed the manufacturing centers of Flanders, France, Germany and England more access to natural resources like low impurity iron ore from Scandinavia and timber from the Baltic.

Their HQ was called a 'Kontor' and situated in Bergen.

You can tell when a city was part of the Hanseatic League because the coat of arms would incorperate the colours Red and White.

>double trips on a post about the Hansa
what a fucking waste

They won a war against the Eternal Anglo.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Hanseatic_War

They also won one against the eternal Dane.

They erected nice buildings, founded cities and so-called kontors, trading posts in foreign cities.

Their ships were cool, too.

The Lufthansa airline was named after the Hanseatic League ("Air-Hansa" translated).

OP is also dub trips. And I found that interesting, I did not know that before.

>Their HQ was called a 'Kontor'
Nigger that just means office

Which king's flagship is meant?

In which language?

A textbook I read a while back theorized that the EU wasn't a revolutionary concept, but simply a natural evolution of the Hanseatic League and similar trade networks.

That's actually pretty clever.

German, and it's still in use. It actually translates better to "counting office" or "(business) branch" and has taken a back seat to the more common word Büro.

Are you German? I am and afaik "Konto" doesn't mean office, but bank account. Never heard the word Kontor being used.

I don't know about the modern German, but in Dutch 'kantoor' means office.

What was the name of that ship, user?

>What was the name of that ship, user?
Adler von Lübeck
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adler_von_Lübeck

I'm American, but I study German. I just looked up Kontor in a dictionary and "counting office" came up as an archaic definition.
dict.cc/?s=Kontor

Thanks user. I assume meant bigger than the Swedish king's ship?

pic related is missing Bremen

A Hanse Kontor was warehouse, business facilities and living quarters for the merchants, so HQ is a fairly good description.
Kontor in German today is more or less anachronistic.
Other countries with Hanse history still use it for "office"

>t. german

Kontor is Plattduutsch/Low German you mongs

Anyone have book, or online reading recommendations for info about the Hanseatic League?

And does anyone know how relations were between cities that were part of the league?

In norwegian it means office.

In all Scandinavian languages it means office.

In german a "kontor" is a naval warehouse.