Armor

Dumping armor. Illustrations welcome.

Starting with my own photographs to avoid reposts. From Les Invalides, Paris.

As you'll see, there's lots of really fancy stuff in there, almost none of which were ever out on a battlefield due to how important the wearers would have been.

Lets get weird.

>From even a short distance away, this armour looks very plain and undecorated, with its remarkable presence stemming from its smooth, rounded, polished surfaces and elegant proportions. Looking closer however, the breast and backplates are shown to be decorated with fine etched ornament.

>Inscription: '·IHESVS · NASARENVS · REX · IVDEORVM

Mirror armour.

Really cool visor mechanic.

Armour of Bayard

How often was full body plated armour even used, seems impractical

Full head to toe stuff was used from the mid to late 14th century up until the first half of the 17th century. Though lower leg armour was the first to go.

Overall it was used for around 200-250 years in complete ensemble.

The percentage of people wearing it in a given army during that period differed a lot. At the peak end more than half the engaged soldiers wore full plate but a lower ratio was more common.

Probably not as often as it seems. Or, at least, not for as many people as it seems. If you think plate armour is expensive now, imagine what sort of status you needed back then.
Full plate needs to be individually made for a specific person and their proportions due to how tightly it fit. Chainmaille is one size fit all. Padded gambesons/jacks are the same, but even cheaper. Something like what I'm (on the left) wearing here is a more versatile outfit, more commonly seen on a battlefield, worn by a relatively well off soldier.

Toledo military museum now.

Swiggity swooty!

I'll be back later. I think that's pretty much the totality of my own photos bar one or two things.

What's this?

And this

Moro and Chinese?

Something that actually looks like you'd find it in the Witcher

Best helmet

im a Thrace realist

Ah Ryan, is that yourself?

Post more Moorish/Al-Andalus armor

>If you think plate armour is expensive now, imagine what sort of status you needed back then.
Go and google some tax records from past. Armour wasn't THAT expensive. Also, what kind of rationale is this. Go and try to buy Tiger tank now. It will be almost impossible, it doesn't mean it was the same kind of impossible (or even harder) 70 years ago.

His shirt made me giggle

14th century plate looks so good imo. The colored suede leather and chain mail details combined with a bascinet makes it look so badass.

Did you happen to get pictures of any of the text panels? I'd love to read them.

Philippine armour made from horn.

Chinese.

It is! Who's this?

Yes, BUT think of what else you need that money for or how much tax you might be paying or how much money you can actually earn as a lower class person. Like, it might not be too much proportionally to us now, and I'm certainly not saying it'd be impossible to own a set as a medieval peasent, but it's not high up on your priorities when you have much less financial stability.

Agh, sadly not. Bad habit of mine. I always assume I can look it up later only to find out that I can't. This one is for this suit:

This is for this suit. I have a few more photos of it I'll post now.

Correction: I have ONE more photo of it

i'm more of a konos guy

>plate needs to be tailored
>mail is one size fits all

Both myths. Generic plate armour was cranked out in Italy. High end mail was custom fitted it the individual wearer and the body part. Only cheap, Indian mass production makes it as vague rectangles.

Maybe I'm wrong then. But I can only assume something like this picture, with jointed parts all over, could only fit a specific measurement well. If the wearer is one inch too short, surely it would push up one part with pushes another part with pushes another part and pinches or locks where it shouldn't?

Obviously if it's something less covering it'll fit most people (provided they're not drastically short/fat/skinny/tall/etc). I've worn individual pieces that weren't tailored to me that fit alright by themselves, but when I tried to attach extra pieces (like the bevor in this picture ), it became a lot less comfortable and even potentially dangerous to wear. Which is why I specifically said "FULL plate".

Keep in mind only the very finest examples of armour remain on display in museums. The armour of a normal person is very very rare. Visby is our main source and they're in mail or coats of plates which can be modified and altered to fit many different people.

Do you have a caption for the Chinese suit of armor?

Most surviving Chinese armors are mail,lamellar or brigandine.

imagine a 5 year old running around in armor

this one is just a really good reproduction, not the original

that bulge

>"I've got balls of steel"

Dunno why but I find this very aesthetically pleasing

Can posters provide centuries and places at least for the armor? I want to see how armor changed throughout the centuries.

Not bothered going through each one, but here's a rough guide. The "golden age" of armour was the 1450s-1500s, so most fancy suits of full plate you'll see are from then.

This is
X-XIth century Bulgarian Armor repro, based on archaeological finds of found lamellae contemporary frescoes. It's heavily based on the Byzantine lamenar armour from the same era.

Gladiator Armor is aesthetic as fuck and i'm sad we never get it in media games or art

brimmed sex

Hey! That's John Howe, from the url and the fact that they showed this picture in the BTS stuff for the Lord of the Rings trilogy — he was one of the two concept artists.

>the helmet you wear when the ride never ends

Imagine being this much of a Chad.

Is 2 cosplaying as a migration period warrior?

Thick boy