So what really triggered the Trojan War?

Is it due to:

a) A Trojan Prince cucking an Achaean warlord?

b) Economic tension between the Aegean and Anatolia

c) Part of the mass migrations/invasions of the Sea People in the twilight of the Bronze Age

Number c

Hi Louis

Number a obviously read Homer ffs

>b) Economic tension between the Aegean and Anatolia

What do you mean?

Read the fucking Iliad mate, clearly it's A.

Troy controlled the bosphorous and was ostensibly charging high tolls. The aegean was historically dependent on black sea grain, and by camping an army and fleet on the shore, the greeks were able to interdict shipping through the straight, which is how they sustained themselves for ten years (in addition to pillage). Troy was also the leader of a rival alliance, and was considered too powerful for Mycenae to ignore. However, the fall of that alliance allowed barbarians to penetrate from the north, and bring about the dark ages of greece.

>Troy controlled the bosphorous and was ostensibly charging high tolls

There's proof of any black sea Mycenean trade route and the Anatolian black sea trade route barely even existed considering there were no cities in the Northen coast of Anatolia nor in Bulgaria, Thrace, or Georgia during the bronze age

>The aegean was historically dependent on black sea grain

Yes, historically in the classical age, not in Mycenean times when there's no proof they even made it in the black sea

d.) We are too removed from the events and lack enough information to pick any reason with any certainty.

Anatolians cuvking greeks, business as usual

where can I find a high quality version of this image?

What if Homer was memeing like we are with the Finno-Korean hyperwar? What if it never existed and people literally spend their lives and fortunes searching for evidence of it.

Eris invented bait.

When I went to Troy someone told me that they believe it was a war over clay essentially.

>The area today in Turkish is called Canakkale which translates to clay + fortress and is extremely rich in good quality clay for pottery.
>There is evidence to suggest pottery and amphorae were the main exports in early layers of excavation.
>amphorae were crucial for most export industries. Pottery too was a crucial resource for decent living
>Trojan war = possibly political tension exacerbated by resource conflict over a resource necessary for trading and economic prosperity.

Yes, West Anatolian pottery was quite refined and exported to the Eastern Mediterranean

>agrarian trade requires cities

Besides, they said Troy didn't exist until they found it. And that was with the entire antiquarian community begging for it to be found. And even if it was the case, that would not be proof of a lack of trade, even hunter gatherers engage in trade, even nomads engage in trade. The level of technology certainly was there. You think the trojans just visited hellas for no practical monetary purpose whatsoever? Riches don't exactly come from nothing.

There weren't any major centers or signs of civilization in North Anatolia despite it beng a few dozens of kms from developed civilizations like Hittites, which wouldn't make any sense of of was a popular trade route, Hittites would have surely colonized that place if it were

Take The Central Mediterranean trade route, despite The fact that there were Not literate civilizations like Hittites, complex proto urbanized centers developed there in the bronze age, see Thapsos in Siciliy, the acropolis of Lipari in The Aeolian islands, punta Zambrobe in Calabria, the many Nuragic settlements such as Barumini and Gremanu

>Troy was thought to not exist

Yes, when archaeology was still literally at its baby stage, I think The Minoan civilization wasn't even known yet at that time

I wish people in 3017 get lessons about the hyper war in high school

I mean, it's POSSIBLE. No one else wrote about it that was reputable that I know of.

>true anatolian
>turk

pick one for their is only one for you too pick ozgur

Just made a research.

There were a few towns such as Sinope in North central Anatolia and a market for wool and donkeys but over all it wasn't a very rich trade route.

On the other hand, North East Anatolia didn't have cities and was inhabited by the Kaska nomadic cut throats who constantly plundered the Hittites, so it wasn't a very big market, considering it was limited to a few towns that trade between each other in North Central Anatolia.
The caucasus and most other places along the Black sea trade route were also inhabited by semi nomadic war like people.

During the late bronze age there are no signs of Mycenean presence in those towns, while there is in South Italy & Sardinia, where Mycenean potters set up seasonal shops were they crafted their exquisite vases in exchange for precious metals and mercenaries.

I don't think Myceneans destroyed Troy because they wanted access to the donkeys and wool trade route, while they already were pursuing the rich trade route of the Eastern Mediterranean where they could trade with rich kingdoms such as Cyprus, Hittites, Ugarit and Egypt, or the central Mediterranean trade routes from where they could get loads of silver and copper from Sardinia and mercenaries from South Italy.

Compared to these trade routes the donkey & wool trade route in North Anatolia wasn't that valuable and it was also quite geographically limited, also going through the Dardanelli strait was quite difficult with the ships of the time, only thanks to the Triremes discovered in the EIA it became possibly to do it easily.

The most likely reason why Myceneans plundered Troy is because at the time piracy was widespread and Acheans were already recorded to invade Cyprus and plunder the Syrian coast by Hittite records, so seeing as Troy was basically one of the few Non Mycenean towns in the West coast of Anatolia they decided to raid it since it was relatively prosperous thanks to the pottery trade and fertile soil.