Depression is an evolutionary advantage

If natural selection saw that depression wasn't beneficiary, it would have gotten rid of it a long time ago. There's obviously a reason depression is still a thing, it allows you to see the world more clearly, to see what it truly is. This could've helped archaic humans for many reasons, to strip yourself of all emotion and to hunt more efficiently. Basically, depression turns/turned us into ultimate hunter machines. I see now why it exists, depression isn't necessarily sadness, it's clairvoyance.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You're dumb

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy

NATURAL SELECTION

Natural selection doesn't mean that all problems in a species will be solved.

Sickle cell anemia for instance is caused by having two specific genes. But if you only have one or the other, you're nearly immune to malaria. So natural selection will make more people have these genes, and eventually some unfortunate people will have both.

same with cancer, and aids

people get both because it propogates our genes better, right?

*drops dead from a stoke*

Cancer and AIDs are caused by outside influences though. Depression is a mental issue, caused by hormonal imbalances. No outside influences.

>If natural selection saw

Ok how about Muscular Dystrophy? Or Cystic Fibrosis? Or any other genetic disorders?

>no outside influences
Dezu

"Outside influences" whatever this means, can have physiological effects. For example, when some people repeatedly think about some idea, and worry over it, they can develop stomach ulcers.

>depression turns/turned us into ultimate hunter machines.
How the fuck can you expect this of the type of person who finds it difficult to put in the effort to do things like brush their teeth in the morning or get out of bed.
You have a poor understanding of depression.

Civilization causes depression

>If natural selection saw that depression wasn't beneficiary, it would have gotten rid of it a long time ago

Fucking moron doesn't understand natural selection

>If natural selection saw that [INSERT MENTAL DISORDER/DESEASE HERE] wasn't beneficiary, it would have gotten rid of it a long time ago.
Boy you're fucking stupid.

Name one advantage that depression gives you.

Wat no. Depression isnt a good thing for an individual. Low serotonin makes you demoralized and demotivated and it also kills your libido which means youre less likely to get laid. Its essentially a selection mechanism to weed out loser genes. Yeah its fucking brutal but thats nature for you.
What youre talking about is either psychopaths or people who pursue dangerous extreme sports.

Depression is a result of humans being apes living in conditions completely unlike what we've been naturally selected for. Same with quite a lot of modern problems. Humans aren't 'designed' to interact with hundreds of people, or have easy access to refined sugar, or many other things.

Depression is a social adaptation... That's all it is.

Brother of the alpha-male lion is ostracized from the pride; feels depressed, self harms; falls off cliff; ultimately good for the survival of the pride.

Monkey doesn't share his food with the rest of the group. The selfish behavior goes unpunished, but the monkey's selfishness leads him to depression and selfharm and self-neglect, leading to his untimely death; ultimately, good for the other monkeys.

Cat is removed from his owners and placed into a new home; it starves, chews its self, and has to have round-the-clock maintenance otherwise he'll die, because he got depression when he lost his owners.

Human depression is the same thing.
Little annoying shits on tumblr who talk about how beautiful they are for being fat, getting those pleasurable pro-fat short-term endorphins from other orangutan tit sasquatch creatures, on a daily; meanwhile, the longterm effects of being ostracized from normal society puts stress on their adrenal glands and their mental health, slowly spiraling into a pit of depression and self-loathing. We embrace the "counter culture" and spite tradition, because we get a rush of dopamine from doing so, but the further we get from normalcy, the more depressed we get; and that void of depression grows, making us want to fill the hole even more, requiring more self-satisfaction and validation.

Go on youtube.. Type "How I got over my depression".
99% of the time, they will say something like "I found God" or "I made friends" or "I was more honest with my family", basically they built a working relationship on which they could get real validation.

user if natural selection worked that way, we would be disease-immune supermen incapable of getting fat and would remain in our physical prime for decades at this point.

>99% of the time, they will say something like "I found God" or "I made friends" or "I was more honest with my family", basically they built a working relationship on which they could get real validation.

Or in some cases they just needed medication because their brain had a chemical imbalance causing the depression because in terms of where their life was going everything was fine.

Humans today have no good path where everything is fine.

When you go to a therapist, the therapist will fix you. But who defines what is broken? You do! You say to him/her, "Doctor, I am depressed; make me not-depressed". Does the doctor go around spending money to fix your environment, or does the doctor give you a pill to help you cope with the shitty environment? The doctor fixes you, gives you the therapy or the pills you need for you to cope with what we consider normal.

As a species, we'd rather ease the symptoms than cure the disease, and that's how I know that depression isn't a chemical imbalance. Maybe for like 1-3% of depressed people it's chemical, but for most of those depressed fucks out there, its a choice.

Depression is a way of getting you killed if you're not of use to the group

>But who defines what is broken? You do!

Yes, I determined my pancreatic cancer.

>abloobloobloo it not the same if brain disorder

Is dementia a state of mind? We can plot the regions of the brain that decline with depression the same we can plot with regions of the brain that decline with Alzheimer's. Where is your fucking choice?

Nature doesn't think to "weed out people" simply people Who can't or don't want to REPRODUCE dont

>le depresshun is low serotonin

When will this die?

Mood disorders exist basically as a dumping ground of genes that in a certain amount of expression would prove very beneficial to the individual but too much ends up leading to severe dysregulation. Bipolars have higher IQ and better social functioning then their peers premorbid. They all collapse, but the guy with a depressed uncle who doesn't develop shit ends up accelerating far beyond normals in attainment.

Being able to modulate your mood between the twin poles of depression and mania is beneficial to a certain extent. In brief doses, they can confer social advantage through sympathy or lead to fascinating insights. The people with milder forms of mood disorder present less often for treatment. Cyclothymia is extensively underdiagnosed. Hyperthymia isn't listed in the DSM at all because why the fuck diagnose someone who's happy all the time? There are people who live day to day benefiting every single day because of their bipolar genes only because they inherited just enough to make their lives wonderful and not so much that it would be ruined. Sometimes they slip up and end up like you or I, but enough of the time to guarantee a next generation, they breed.

>conflating a physical ailment with a mental one
Well that's just being a fuckface for no good reason user. Honesty. You know what the fuck he is saying.

Get a load of this edgelord

Cystic Fibrosis gene gives some resistance to dysentery, though I'm kind of sceptical that dysentery is the sole reason for that particular genes fixation in the European population. You can pretty much bet that any of those population specific, semi-common, and inheritable diseases (especially ones that hit as early as CF) have some sort of benefits that we're not seeing. Otherwise, they would have been selected out.

>be caveman
>want to fuck hot Stacy cavegirl
>go to her cave to ask her out
>look inside her cave
>caveman chad fucking the shit out of my cavegirl
>can't be depressed after seeing that because depression is something that comes with civilization duh

cannabis cures depression and jesus was a cannabis cult

no, the real thing is pure blackness. the only factor is how much of it. there is no advantage or solace in it whatsoever, it's a fundamental lack of that sort of thing at all.

Not only are you stupid, but you're also delusional.

Probably pretty close for BP.
Depression seems to me to be more environmental. My best guess is that it's a fuck up of our normal emotional and energy regulation controls. It's similarity to our sickness response sends off bells for that. With environmental stressors inappropriately setting off the response. The genetic part being one's particular sensitivity to stressors (there are benefits to having different sensitivities for the sick response). Increased prevalence, if that is indeed the case, could then be caused by our rapid civilisation change exposing us to abnormal stressors (ones in which we haven't evolved proper responses to).
Complicating this though is the fact that the depression diagnosis is probably made up of a shit tonne of sub types that get lumped together and may, in fact, be different diseases.

>implying humans are the only beings to experince depression

thats a human-centric fallacy. even rabbit and lemmings gets depressed. all human emotions and feelings are simply billion-year old features that continued unto us from

tru

>If natural selection saw that depression wasn't beneficiary, it would have gotten rid of it a long time ago.
If natural selection worked like that, hereditary diseases wouldn't exist. You're just a fucking moron.

Nigga natural selection is LAZY, it will do the bare minimum to keep an animal alive and fucking before it dies. If anything, depression is advantageous because it makes you sad enough to fuck ugly people.

>If natural selection saw
>it would have gotten rid of
Natural selection isn't a conscious decision making agent you retard. If people with the capacity for depression do well enough to survive and reproduce some of the time then tha potential trait will probably continue to exist in the future. Natural selection doesn't result in anywhere close to perfect systems.