Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vm647n1360A
youtube.com/watch?v=uNFK_4yG02o
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistle_to_the_Hebrews#Authorship
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>devout Protestant

How did you become a Christian?

I was saved during a NDE by divine intervention
Went seeking for which God it was, and I found Christianity to be the most satisfying emotionally and intellectually.
I hesitate giving the whole story because I don't want my own personal story to influence anyone (not that it would here of all places, another reason to keep it to myself) but I want everyone else to develop their own experiences with God.

>I was saved

Yes, that's what I asked. How you were saved.

Not how you were spared from dying.

by faith alone, if thats what you want to hear

Look, man, if you want to come here and start a thread about being a "devout protestant", you should really have some definitions of what devout means, what protestant means, and how, and if, you became a Christian.

And be able to back it up with the bible.

Saying you looked at all the gods and the one you thought most coherent was the Christian god tells me one thing.

You don't know there is only one God.

What do you think of this picture?

See, this is why I get so frustrated.

>I'm a freemason, AMA.

How did you become a freemason?

>I went down to the local lodge and asked if I could join, they said yes, I did x, y, and z, and now I'm a freemason.

That's an explanation that ANY freemason should be able to rattle off at the drop of a hat.

points taken
you can ask a question if you'd like
thread is already made
>What do you think of this picture?
not much in particular
got a question?

I'll reiterate the unanswered question.

How did you become a Christian?

How do you reconcile Ezekiel 45:17-25 with well, pretty much everything Paul says about what the coming of Jesus did to the Law?

Not OP

By reading Jeremiah 31:31.

Still not OP

And by reading Ephesians 2

For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.

I honestly don't even know what kind of answer you're looking for
I accepted Christ as my savior, and at that moment the Holy Spirit entered me and I became a Christian. I never went to any specific places to sign up as in your example.
it would help if you explained specifically in what way you think it contradicts Paul in the first place

>I accepted Christ as my savior, and at that moment the Holy Spirit entered me and I became a Christian.

This is the answer I was looking for.

I wouldn't start with him, if I were you, for this reason:

Titus 3:9
But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless.

do protestants believe you go to hell when you commit suicide?

Does not resolve anything: The idea that the Covenant would be known in no way changes what is going to be done.

That just means you're making the claim that Paul thinks Ezekiel is simply wrong. That's hardly reconciliation.

Well, you should really be familiar with this stuff, don't you think? But it's part of a Messianic prophecy of Ezekiel's, which features the Messiah continuing on the animal sacrifice that Paul claims is no longer necessary.

No. All sins were forgiven at the cross, including murder, including self-murder. If you're saved and commit suicide, which is pretty rare, you would be absent from your flesh, and present with the Lord.

If you're not saved, and commit suicide, you have just slammed shut a door that cannot open.

Unlike.

Unlike the Old Covenant.

Unlike.

Not like.

Different.

What is a "devout Protestant", is that 'murican for born-again Chiristian or so?

Paul would not say Ezekiel, or anything in the scriptures is wrong, just you.

He would plead with you to accept your own messiah, but he's a busy guy and would eventually just let you multiply your own sin to your own condemnation.

glad to have finally reached it my friend
I don't think there's an agreed position on this, but I'll give you mine
We are saved by faith in Jesus Christ, not by a lack of sins. Therefore, theoretically, you could still go to heaven after suicide... BUT, the fact you did it in the first place could implicate that your faith in Christ is not a genuine faith to begin with...
I guess so

Oh, I see the problem here.

The sacrificial system of old was to foreshadow the sacrifice of the Lamb of God that was to come in the future.

The sacrificial kingdom set up when Jesus sits on David's throne in Jerusalem to rule the world for a thousand years will look BACK to the time when Jesus, the Lamb of God, was slain for the sins of mankind.

That's how.

if you died and had an NDE, why the fuck wouldn't you share it with people? thats the most effective way to convince people you schmuck, you're not a scholar or an expert so why would we ask you anything lmao fuck outta here

>asks a question
>"why would we ask you anything"

Not according to the bible.

Luke 16
And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’”

Proof: You, hearing that from this NDE is now a Christian; are you now ready, willing and able to give your heart to Jesus?

Do you believe the Catholic Church is Satan's trickery?

Also, what's your opinion on the Orthodox Church?

>I guess so
Do you have a denomination you lean towards, or do you just nitpick from the bible whatever suits your personal taste?

Why are quoting out of context, and that has little relevance since YOU brought up the NDE dumbass, Jesus performed numerous miracles so did the prophets so don't act like God is camera shy you pleb, go on, what happened in the NDE?

yes

heretics, mostly for the doctrine of salvation by works. The other stuff like prayer to Mary/saints, infant baptism is all secondary
Baptist. Southern Baptist if I had to choose
but I don't have any specific confessions that I really adhere to, so a little from column A and B I guess

Not OP. Thought I made that clear.

user: Tell people you came back from the dead and are now a Christian! That's the best way to get people saved!

Me: Not according to the bible. [Cites passage Jesus' story about rich man and beggar in Hades, rich man wanted to warn his family, but it would have been futile.]

We all up to speed now?

>yes

Sooo...everyone prior to the Reformation was praying wrong and is now in Hell?

Yes, papist, Christianity started with the Catholic friar Martin Luther was excommunicated. Prior to the Catholic friar Martin Luther being excommunicated, absolutely nobody on earth, ever, knew how to talk to God.

NOP

Certain prayers were wrong, certain ones were right. If they were praying to mary and saints then yeah they were wrong
Idk who is in hell and who isn't

#papistrekt

Do you know why you worship on Sunday?

Guarantee that you don't know the true reason.

NOP

The catholic bible is a false bible, anyone who worships idols is hated by god, and they are in hell.

Of course it is. It deified Mary, right from Genesis forward.

I don't worship on Sunday.

I worship every day

>Certain prayers were wrong, certain ones were right.

So Satan in all its power only tricked people into worshipping, for centuries, in a half-right/half-wrong Church. Why not trick everyone into converting back to Paganism, Hellenism, or heck, Zoroastrianism and have a 100% rate of people going to Hell.

best way to spread a lie is to sandwich it between 2 truths

The Jewish sabbath begins Friday night at sundown and runs to Saturday night at Sundown.

The first Christians that wanted to differentiate themselves from the Jews, began worshiping God on the day Jesus rose from the dead, Sunday, and stopped keeping the Jewish sabbath.

It has nothing to do with sun worship.

It has everything to do with Resurrection Sunday.

And even at that, if any Christian wants to make Tuesdays special, then that's fine. Wednesdays. Mondays. Saturdays. No days. All days.

It doesn't matter, so long as they are all done unto the Lord, and out of the conviction of the heart of the man.

Christian liberty. Google it.

Catholicism is paganism, and most people are tricked into going to hell. You included.

You should've told God that when he gave the 10 commandments.

"God, you see, I got a problem with this 4th commandment here. See I worship everyday, so it kind of a dumb law for me to follow."

>Also, what's your opinion on the Orthodox Church?

Not a dime's worth of difference between Romanism and Constantinoplism.

Are you under the delusion that Christians are Jews?

that isn't my reasoning at all, please stop blatantly misrepresenting me

Colossians 2
So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God.

Romans 14
One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.

I totally agree with your statement that a number of the first Christians began to worship on Sunday to distinguish themselves from Jews to avoid persecution.

But that didn't make it lawful to do so.

The 4th commandment was very clear about what day was to be set aside for God. Nowhere does it imply we can decide to change it.

Your "make all days special" quip is the same idea the above poster had. Which is just an insult to the 4th commandment, and ultimately to God. "God, I think it makes more sense if we set every day aside for you. Your law is imperfect"

I have to go, brother, but I would ask you this one favor. Please call yourself a Christian.

The Catholics coined the word Protestant to pretend that they are the heart and core of Christianity, and the people who protested them 500 years ago were damned heretics. Then they set out to slaughter every single Christian and Jew on earth, and have managed a kill count of over 100 million so far.

Unlike.

Jeremiah 31:31

Isaiah 53: All about Jesus.

you're right, that would have been better and more accurate for me to say
thanks for your help today my friend

I saved this post from awhileback, probably would have been better to screenshot it

"Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. Matthew 23:9

"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. Matthew 6:7

Catholics who teach perpetual virginity of mary : "Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not His mother called Mary, and His brothers, James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? "And His sisters, are they not all with us? Where then did this man get all these things?" Matthew 13:55-56

BUh BUHT YOU NEED PRIESTS TO INTERPRET DA BIBL :"you (all Christians) also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. " 1 Peter 2:5
"But you (all Christians) are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; " 1 Peter 2:9
"Jesus has made us (all Christians) to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father—to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen." Revelation 1:6

Baptism - Full immersion not sprinkling

Statues - Idol worship

But most catholics would never understand this because it requires actually READING the bible not just commentaries and Aquinas.

"You have made them (all Christians) to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth." Revelation 5:10

Fuck i think i lost half of it

I rejoice to meet you, and to have another brother in heaven who also toiled in this place to win people to Christ.

May the Lord bless you and keep you; may He turn His face towards you, and give you peace.

thank you, please keep me in your prayers

No, but I recognize that Christians are still bound to the moral law otherwise known as the Ten Commandments.

Okay. You worship everyday. Which day of the week do you abstain from secular work and dedicate your time strictly to studying the Word and advancing the Kingdom of God?

This verse is referring entirely to ceremonial ordinances. "Sabbaths" is referring to the ceremonies that occurred on a Sabbath, such as Feast of Tabernacles, Feast of First Fruits, and more. Previous versus make it more clear that we're talking about the Mosaic law here, not the Decalogue.

Also refers to ceremonial days. The word Sabbath isn't even there. Read the surrounding verses.

Do you play EU4? And if you do, do you go Protestant or Reformed?

In Jeremiah 31:31 God says He will write the Law on our hearts.

What law? Does it say "new law"?

If it's really written on your heart, wouldn't you follow it?

It was one tree, Adam and Eve could have everything in the garden but that one thing.

Are you Reformed?

Placed there as a test of loyalty

yea stay out of other peoples business ma nigga, fuck outta here with your misinterpretations

youtube.com/watch?v=Vm647n1360A

The only NDE i would trust, everyone should see this in their life span

Luke 16
The rich man also died and was buried. And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

“Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’ But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’

“Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house, for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’ Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’ And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’

But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’”

>slammed a shut door that cannot open
ok clearly you are a hack and a fraud and not a theologian, why are all you faggots asking questions to a bait thread

Is there ever a reason to go reformed?

It's been a while since I played, but there were always rumors about Reformed being OP.

Where does Paul say animal sacrifice is no longer necessary?

to larp

As what? A shitty player?

>As what?
glorious calvinist french empire

what denomination are ya

God symbolically says it when he rends the temple veil upon Jesus's death.

Were you born retarded or did you have an accident?

nothing is impossible for God he can reverse anything

youtube.com/watch?v=uNFK_4yG02o

Hebrews 10
For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.

Once you die, your eternal destiny is set.

There is no Limbo. There is no Purgatory. These are lies of the papists to bring gold into the treasury. Very successfully, too.

>Hebrews
Pseudepigraphic, not Paul.

>Pseudepigraphic, not Paul
It never claims to be Pauline you pseudo-intellectual atheist retard

>God can reverse anything

Even his own judgments? So it's possible to pray for someone in Hell and maybe God will forgive them?

The author imitates Paul's style and tries to hint that he is the author. It's also traditionally attributed to Paul.

Anyway why did you reply to me with that if you knew it wasn't Paul?

Very bold of you to assert that Hebrews was not written by Paul.

>The author imitates Paul's style and tries to hint that he is the author
The author expresses Pauline concepts, but does not imitate Paul's style. He consistently uses different terms for the same idea. It is also more likely that Paul would begin with a greeting featuring his name. The author also show's they know Timothy, so all this evidence suggests that it was a companion of Paul, such as Luke or Barnabas.
>Anyway why did you reply to me with that if you knew it wasn't Paul?
I'm not that other user

>tries to imitate Paul's style
Paul almost always begins his letters with a greeting identifying his audience and himself as well as closing with a farewell. The author of Hebrews does neither of these so I don't know where you're getting the idea that it's pseudoepigraphic. If anything the mystical language in Hebrews suggest more of a johannine style.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistle_to_the_Hebrews#Authorship

>in the 4th century, Jerome and Augustine of Hippo supported Paul's authorship: the Church largely agreed to include Hebrews as the fourteenth letter of Paul, and affirmed this authorship until the Reformation

Maybe from the fact that the Church was convinced it was Pauline for a thousand years?

He also always closes with "Grace to you" or some very similar variant of that message.

Which also is in the closing of Hebrews.

>protestants understanding context
>thinks nobody is allowed to kneel

Just another example of Roman traditions obscuring critical thinking.

Why dont protestants care about things like early christian history, or at the very least reject the most common academic ideas on it?

Would be so sad if Hebrews wasn't included. It's probably the most well-written book in the new testament.

be specific

We understand early Christian history. We just follow what the Bible says before we follow what the mainstream Christians did at any given time.

It's funny you should say that considering the early church was closer to Protestantism in the sense that it was less hierarchical, institutionalized and centralized than what Rome later turned it into.