Giant Warriors

Did a warrior as big as Gregor Clegane(7-8 ft tall / 450 lbs) ever exist in history?

I can only think about Goliath

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sancho_VII_of_Navarre
youtube.com/watch?v=YQEJyjKTH9g
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam_Giants
guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/tallest-man-ever
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV_series)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_García_de_Paredes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_de_Franckenpoint
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Charlemagne was supposed to be huge, but the records are iffy because there was no standard "foot" unit back then.

How the fuck would they put so much muscle on their huge frame back then?
They didn't have anabolics and modern nutrition.

Do you realise he eats like 12 thousand calories a day and pins his ass with roids 2x a week?

Sancho VII of Navarre

They exhumated his body in 2010 and the historian and forensic anthropologist, Luis del Campo, who studied his mortal remains, affirms that he was 2.23 metres (7.3 feet) in height

He was called "The strong" and was famous for cutting in two Moors and their African slaves with a single sword swing

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sancho_VII_of_Navarre

They went full Natty
But they just ate meat and oats, live was a constant workout

Reality was probably somewhere in the middle. There has been some genetic freaks, but none of them were on that Hollywood level due all the things you mentioned.

Pier Gerlofs Donia comes to my mind, even if details are exaggerated or sketchy

>he eats like 12 thousand calories a day and pins his ass with roids 2x a week
and still not 7ft tall

Some guys are just naturally huge dude

Didn't they dig up his skeleton and determine he was over 6 feet tall?

the original casting choice was a 7'1 bodybuilder who looked older and meaner, too bad they couldn't keep him on

450 lbs is not very much for a man said in the books to be close to 8 feet tall, the actor in your pic weighs around that and he's only 6'9". A 450lbs nearly 8' man would be nowhere near as muscled and buff as Gregor is shown in the show, and be somewhat slim and realistically proportioned.

A real man as Gregor's described in the books would not be an especially strong or powerful warrior, just awkward and lanky more than anything.

He's described as being over 8 feet and jacked, but not the most skilled.

Obryn kills him after all.

It's debated but apparently John of Gaunt was like 7 foot tall. While this is an impressive height as it is, when you consider that people were on average much smaller then already it is even more so.

Gregor in the books is described as having tree trunk-sized legs and being able to easily swing a two-handed sword easily with one hand while in full plate armor, and takes a long time to tire out.

> "The most beautiful girl or woman in the world would be a matter of indifference to me, but tall soldiers—they are my weakness".
-Frederick William I
To think, this man had the nerve to behead his son's boyfriend
Daniel Cajanus was there famous big boy, there was an early Prussian regiment called the Potsdam Giants, apparently they really did just autistically steal tall people.
Trouble is once you get to 7 ft or near enough, it's a disadvantage, there is probably something wrong with you and you're going to be clumsy.
I read once that Queen Charlotte, upon seeing one preternaturally large soldier in a highland regiment demanded that his ration was doubled from what was standard and that he received extra pay.

I doubt he consumes 12k calories a day, regardless it's plausible that soldiers, on occasion would have consumed similar amounts,

>I doubt he consumes 12k calories a day
youtube.com/watch?v=YQEJyjKTH9g

There was an American during the revolutionary war that was famous for being freakishly strong, carrying cannons, throwing anvils, lifting horses ect but his name escapes me right now

Yes, there were big people in the ancient world who did their best to get jacked. They had professionals advise them about diet and exercise. If memory serves, they initially favoured consuming lots of cheese, but latee theory switched to meat.

They were professional athletes, though. Xenophon says that they make shit soldiers, because soldiers value endurance and must be adaptable in terms of diet and conditions.

There were famous one on one fighters who specifically trained for duels. Some of them were big. There are also sources attributing large bones to heroes like Herakles, and saying that they were massive.

>someone was considered a giant in the past
>they're literally an inch out of manlet range in the present
I wonder if people of the future will call us manlets

I sure do love badass historical figures

Are there records about giant gladiators?

Oberyn is probably the only swords man who could kill him other than someone one with enough retard strength to match sword blows because oberyn used a long spear to stay out of the range of his great sword so he didn't need to constantly dodge getting cut in two.

Bron explains that if he wanted to kill clegane he'd have to dodge clegane's sword swings until clegane eventually got tired enough to be tripped over then killed when he's on the ground.
But clegane has super-stamina and is able to swing deadly blows with his sword for like 5 minutes continuously without tiring.
everyone would try to get close enough to dodge his blows and tire him out but they would all get tired first and eventually fail to dodge one of the swings and die.

So the only people who could beat clegane in weapon combat without cheating shit like warging are
retard strength guys like sandor clegane, robert baratheon, wun weg wun dar wun and other giants, maybe khal drogo (depending on how much of a big guy he is in the books, also his weapons are probably made of shitty steal so probably not likely) and oberyn

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantism

It happens. Only reason it'd be any less common is that there'd be less people, and those who had it would be less apt to survive it. (Even today, they generally don't live to a ripe old age.)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam_Giants
Sure did

The actor Hafþór Björnsson weighs just under 420, I don't know why google displays 441. The 7 foot actor that played the mountain initially (Conan Stevens) was ~320 and he's a body builder, so 450 would be reasonable for someone around 8 feet, but no one like that has ever existed.

I am impressed that we've come this far without a single Bane reference.

Supposedly Goliath if he existed would've only been like 6 ft.

>so 450 would be reasonable for someone around 8 feet, but no one like that has ever existed.
guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/tallest-man-ever

8' 11.1" - 491 lbs.

Doubtful, because if we get much taller our bodies cant support it

"Four cubits and a span" - would make him roughly 6'9".

I meant someone who was that tall, buff, and healthy

Aren't there like 2 different measurements on what a cubit is though, which is why there's 2 different estimates on what the tower of babel would be?

Buff maybe - healthy no. Was able to pick up his dad at 9 years old, but died at 22. Gigantism ain't good for ya.

As I understand it, it varied quite a bit until the Egyptians standardized it, being based on the length of the arm from the elbow to the tip of the middle finger. That description was made in the 4th century, but it may have been based on an earlier account - still, the story itself has some heavy Egyptian presence, so one would assume any cubits used therein would be by that standard.

sounds like pic related

>implying that's the same sword or something
>trusting the proportions in a drawing like that

Well it's almost a given that Sandor kills him eventually. But then again, he is already dead.

For you.

In Earth's gravity.

9 foot tall Martian master race reporting in.

Earthlets, when will they learn.

Your body would literally collapse on itself if you came here.

I didn't know Spanish could be tall.

Spaniards are White Europeans, not Mexicans

ThisBones would be brittle and weak with very little muscle.
Basically the ultimate lanklet.

Nah, once you go beyond 1,90 and something, you start piling disadvantages.
Mostly joint and heart problems.
Yeah, and you end up like Belters from the Expanse(pic related).
Good job.

an major city in germany i think frankfurt am main was it they had the city guardian which was over 2,20m
some existed like today
but that was more randomness i guess
also big guys we´re not be positive its more a disadvantage
than being elected from the gods as a half ogre half man choosen to slain people and go down in history

Where is this picture from?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV_series)
Pretty cool show.

This image is from the Metropolitan, most of the armour suits in their exhibit are the same height as the suits to the left and right. The suit in the middle is 188cm or 6'2 feet for you Americans.

Non trollere in real. Ego esse trollere exego successii.

Current Spanish king is pretty tall like 6'7

Memento non trollere in real. Ego profilere exego!

Manlets, when will they learn?

The only three off the top of my head are Grutte Pier, Angus MacAskill and Alasdair Mac Colla. MacAskill wasn't a warrior, but he's probably as close an approximation as you're going to get.

Bumpo

A very active 7 foot 450lb man could maintain weight with 6k calories.
Soldiers have consumed near enough that much or more historically.
Brian Shaw is an even more extreme case than the mountain but even he wouldn't need to eat that much, I'd also bet a lot of money he typically doesn't.
This is clearly sensationalist like the phelps memes.

In plante’s gravity well

9 miles tall starship master race reporting in.

Fleshlets, when will they learn.

Emperor Maximinus Thrax was a fucking monster

>18 inch waists
wat

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia

>WY
>WIENEN
>KENINGEN

>The suit in the middle is 188cm or 6'2

Which mean the other two are like 155cm
Fkkn manlets!

A famous captain on the Italian wars was certainly tall, strong, and very dangerous:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_García_de_Paredes

its amazing what perspective can do

> 2.23 meters
Jesus this guy is bigger than Shaq

This guy was Chaddest of all Chads.

Globally we are mid to tall. We are only short compared to Skandis, Balkans or Holland, we are on par with other Yuropeans, specially the young people. Plenty of hobbits from the Civil war and after scarcity times tough.

I recall reading about a certain Habsburg that fought alongside a giant but I can't find any info online and I don't have access to the book. Sound familiar to any anons?

Wasn't Ajax from the Iliad supposed to be colossal? Although I'm not aware of the specifics.

Sancho VII of Navarre=The Mountain

Cersei Lannister=Margret of Anjou

Red Wedding=Glencoe Massacre

who is the mad king?

Pau and Marc Gasol, NBA players

Hero of the Navas too, despite being from the only kingdom not directly threatened by muslims.

There has been a really big soldier from Germany, I think from the 30 years war. His skeleton is now in a museum and you can go watch it, I will try to find a picture.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_de_Franckenpoint

Macrobians recorded by ancient Europeans were a tall and beautiful race of men who sold gold utilizing silent trade.

Seem to me they are the ancestors of the Tall Wodaabe.