Voynich Manuscript Decoded

>After looking at the so-called code for a while, Gibbs realized he was seeing a common form of medieval Latin abbreviations, often used in medical treatises about herbs. "From the herbarium incorporated into the Voynich manuscript, a standard pattern of abbreviations and ligatures emerged from each plant entry," he wrote. "The abbreviations correspond to the standard pattern of words used in the Herbarium Apuleius Platonicus – aq = aqua (water), dq = decoque / decoctio (decoction), con = confundo (mix), ris = radacis / radix (root), s aiij = seminis ana iij (3 grains each), etc." So this wasn't a code at all; it was just shorthand.

>Further study of the herbs and images in the book reminded Gibbs of other Latin medical texts. When he consulted the Trotula and De Balneis Puteolanis, two commonly copied medieval Latin medical books, he realized that a lot of the Voynich Manuscript's text and images had been plagiarized directly from them (they, in turn, were copied in part from ancient Latin texts by Galen, Pliny, and Hippocrates).

>Gibbs concluded that it's likely the Voynich Manuscript was a customized book, possibly created for one person, devoted mostly to women's medicine.

arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/the-mysterious-voynich-manuscript-has-finally-been-decoded/

the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/voynich-manuscript-solution/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4cRlqE3D3RQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8nHbImkFKE4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>ITT depressing historical discoveries

>voynich manuscript was just abbreviated Latin
can't make this shit up

What a fucking disappointment.

Top 10 anime betrayals

WHY THE FUCK DID IT TAKE THIS LONG FOR PEOPLE TO SOLVE IT

>It took this long for an expert on medieval latin medicine to take one fucking glance at it
Why is academia such a shitshow. You'd think someone familiar in medieval texts would look at it in the span of a hundred fucking years.

I always knew it had something to do with women's medicine but the language is...shorthand Latin? Really now?

Translated pages when?

Let's see what the wacky pages actually were about.

This is because universities are Zuccing their language departments in favor of STEMfags and businessfags.

>tfw the 25th century equivalent of the Voynich Maunscript would be a 21st century scrapbook of Justin Bieber photos annotated in lolspeak

>Elf language turns out to be fucking Pidgin.

I think the issue has been that decoders and cryptologists have been looking at it rather than someone whose just an expert in latin.

>people in the field of Humanities are so low IQ that it took them hundreds of years to "decipher" abbreviated Latin.
Wew indeed.

This is not the first time this text has been "translated", nothing in this article suggests this new attempt is any more credible. VM is gibberish.

seriously all this time and this is the result

this is false
I think it's more likely an manuscript of a community of romani(gypsy) related group.
youtube.com/watch?v=4cRlqE3D3RQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8nHbImkFKE4
I doubt it's simply abbreviated Latin

>I doubt it's simply abbreviated Latin
credentials pls

I am a professor of Latin Abbreviations from the Latin University in Latinland.

I never had high hopes anyway. Life is not a fantasy novel.

Now investigate Codex Gigas.

How can they know it's latin when the symbols in the book aren't even from any known alphabet?

holy shit what a fuckin' disappointment

so, in short, it was just made by someone who had shitty handwriting, the drawing skills of a toddler, and a knack to abbreviate words.
I don't know why but I'm really mad right now

I remember speaking with a professor of classics in the Deansgate Library in Manchester. She showed me untranslated works from Oxyrhynchus. She claimed that there just wasn't he manpower to go through them all, and that the only thing that ever got funding was anything Gospel related because American donors were obsessed with finding the earliest copy of the Bible they could find. It really depressed me desu. She said the one she had was a fragment from one of the lesser known Trojan cycle works, but I can't remember exactly which one.

I want to die.

Is this clickbait or what? Hasn't it been recognized that the voynich manuscript had fragments of Latin for as long as it has been studied? Have they arrived at a consensus or is this just a single expert speculating?

I don't get it. It seems wayyy too anticlimactic..