What even is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/c-WO73Dh7rY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>the stadtholder is a monarch
Wew lad

The king is probably the Monarch

There was no king though

But there is now. Give me a lesson on its history please if its not a republic now

>implying that the Netherlands was a monarchy before the rise of Napoleon and the Congress of Vienna

Come on, a quick wiki read could answer inane questions like these

It was an Oligarchy heavily favouring the House of Orange anyway wasn't it?

And why did they have a king in Versailles?

The Dutch republic was comprised of 7 autonomous provinces, each with its own very independent monarchy.
The stadtholder was the leader of the army, each province had it's own. The stadtholder of Holland being the most importan. In times of war the stadtholder would have higher power than the government.
In practice, and traditionally, most provinces elected the same stadtholder, usually a prince of Orange.
There were 2 factions, an Orangist who stood for more power for the stadtholder, and a republican wich stood for more power for the government, less hereditary nature for the Stadtholder and more republican government.
Eventually, William VI, son of the last stadtholder, was proclaimed King of the Netherlands.

> each with its own very independent monarchy
very independent government*
My bad, though they had counts and dukes and princes

Technically the stadtholder was subordinate and chosen by the provincial government, but in practice the House of Orange was very powerful and that wasn't always the case.

Neat.

How did the house of Orange become so entrenched in the Netherlands?

The first prince of Orange, William I, was the leading force behind the Independence of the Netherlands, after his death his sons continued the fight all the way to Westphalia, where the Netherlands got its independence.
Fredrick Henry, William's youngest, was stadtholder and was able to ensure that his son William II was also chosen as stadtholder.

What do you think would have happened in an alternate timeline where Austria had retained the Netherlands rather than giving it to their Spanish dominion? Would the Dutch still have rebelled?

Or go full ham and give me your best reckon on if France had asserted control after the collapse of Burgundy

This is so absurdly stupid and useless.

Bored

It was also a religious matter, the Dutch being Protestant and the Spaniards, and the Austrians, being Catholic. And a nationalistic matter, they spoke Dutch, or Flemish, not Spanish nor German, their culture was different than everyone around them, and it was a bunch of small states, different from each other, but they all got together to form a Republic.
The Dutch got their independence at the same time the 30 years war was going on in the Empire. The treaty of Westphalia, ending that war, gave them their Independence. It was a mix of several ongoing conflicts.

With France I'm not sure, they very likely wouldn't look kindly at protestants inside their borders, but they sided with the protestants in the war.

Would have been easier for France to stomp out Protestantism though because it was a lot closer to their boarders

Is there any consensus on what the perfidious Frog was doing fighting on the side of the Protestants? Just trying to weaken the HRE?

Yes, fuck the Austrians.
England, though Protestant, also entered because fuck the Austrians.

youtu.be/c-WO73Dh7rY

The Dutch not the wisest of people give them a break.

>Venetian republic
>Is an oligarchy

t. seething dutchie

All republics are oligarchies, maybe Switzerland isn't, don't know enough

>Kingdom of Frenks
>Is la Republic de Franche

?!

Yeah, living below sea level is a genious fucking idea.

the Dutch are cunning as fuck. Are you retarded?

Dutch Republic got replaced with a Monarch after the Napoleonic Wars, senpai. The House of Orange which was traditionally associated with the stadtholder (it was a hereditary executive but with no political power. it was commander and chief though and oftentimes the Orange Princes did several military coups to reassert control over the republic. Any political power of theirs was highly informal or tenuous, but this of course is not to be underestimated) naturally became the new royal family.

this
our modern day western republics are all oligarchies despite their claims to be otherwise. admittedly they are not as rigid as the Venetian one which became a hereditary oligarchy, but an oligarchical class exists everywhere if you just look at the hard economic data, inheritance patterns and where most of the wealth resides.

>Does not know what "Republic" means

Actually, I´m not surprised.

It was a republic with no democracy