Viking skeleton’s DNA test proves historians wrong

The remains of a powerful viking — long thought to be a man — was in fact a real-life Xena Warrior Princess, a study released Friday reveals.

The lady war boss was buried in the mid-10th century along with deadly weapons and two horses, leading archaeologists and historians to assume she was a man, according to the findings, published in in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology.

Wrong.

“It’s actually a woman, somewhere over the age of 30 and fairly tall, too, measuring around [5’6″] tall ,” archaeologist Charlotte Hedenstierna-Jonson of Uppsala University, who conducted the study, told The Local.

And she was likely in charge.

“Aside from the complete warrior equipment buried along with her – a sword, an axe, a spear, armor-piercing arrows, a battle knife, shields, and two horses – she had a board game in her lap, or more of a war-planning game used to try out battle tactics and strategies, which indicates she was a powerful military leader,” Hedenstierna-Jonson said.”She’s most likely planned, led and taken part in battles.”

The discovery marks the first genetic proof that women were viking warriors, according to science publication Phys.org.

The viking grave was first found and excavated by Swedish archeologist Hjalmar Stolpe in the late 1800s.

But a few years ago, osteologist Anna Kjellström of Stockholm University, noticed its skeleton had fine cheekbones and feminine hip bones, researches said.

They conducted DNA-analysis and confirmed it was a female.

“This image of the male warrior in a patriarchal society was reinforced by research traditions and contemporary preconceptions. Hence, the biological sex of the individual was taken for granted,” Hedenstierna-Jonson and other researchers wrote in the report.

The research was lead by the Stockholm and Uppsala Universities.

nypost.com/2017/09/08/viking-skeletons-dna-test-proves-historians-wrong/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XX_male_syndrome
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>she had a board game on her lap, which indicates she was a powerful military leader

>Charlotte Hedenstierna-Jonson
>Uppsala University
> Anna Kjellström
>Stockholm University
>Swedish
I'll wait for more info.

>Board Game = Powerful Military Leader

Cool. An exception to the rule.

Skill at tafl and other board games is directly associated with military skill in the Sagas.

But realize people will either ball at this or like undermine the significance of a skeleton assumed to be a male chief turn out to be a female chief and not understand the precedent that sets.

>a real-life Xena Warrior Princess
>a viking woman

Jesus Christ american media is retarded

Come back to me when you confirm that the other skeletons are females too.
Also, this might explain why vikings got their shit pushed in whenever they faced off against actual armies and not just peasants.

So if DNA testing proves that 1% of buried Vikings were women, what precedence does that set to you?

>real-life Xena Warrior Princess

Unless she was a freak of genetics her gender alone is such a massive handicap in physical combat I fail to imagine her being even an average warrior.

>unless she was a freak of genetics
she probably was

There were at least two verified instances of women pirates (Anne Bonny and Mary Read) and Vikings weren't far off from being proto-pirates in terms of their tactics, so I can believe it.

>she had a board game in her lap, or more of a war-planning game used to try out battle tactics and strategies, which indicates she was a powerful military leader
oooooooor she liked games

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XX_male_syndrome

What is the role of women in the sagas? I honestly haven't read them

to get pissed after their son dies and get stabbed to death by beowulf

>I put it plainly
>– for I know both –
>Women find only fraud in men
was odin trans you guys?

dont have to be a tranny to know how a woman's mind works m8

To be overly emotional and demand revenge, often sabotaging sættir (agreements on making a positive peace) in order to get their way.

Lad women in power have been known since the Sagas

but what about that time he turned into a vǫlva?

gonna need source on that my good man

its was revealed during a quarrel with loki

gee, thanks for narrowing it down for me user

In the Lokasenna.

how much of a fucking morale blow would it be if a rival tribe captured and raped her in front of her entire village
because that would be incredibly hot

WE

it also might make them go berserk you never know

Her bone structure would have given it away if she was. She was likely a ruler, but not a warrior.

This is just trying to legitimize modern feminism by bastardizing the past.

>buried with two (2) horses and weapons of war
>not a warrior
oh sweetie...

Didn't they bury all of their rulers with weapons of war?

would they come out and join you in raping her perhaps?

>5'6
>tall

Vikings confirmed for manlets?

no they would slay them

yeah but what if you got them really, REALLY drunk?

>war chief dies in battle
>can't retrieve body
>his wife kills herself
>bury her with his stuff, we can bury him there too if we ever get his remains back

how?

>oh sweetie...

Go troll /pol/ with this nonsense.

114lbs, so every time you see her in that show just remember she can generate about as much power in a sword or axe as a 12 year old boy.

if she was a warrior wouldn't her bones be full of minor fractures and shit? Especially if she's more prone to injuries?
feast with the rival tribe, get the menfolk drunk off their asses, and then have a mutual rape party. It doesnt seem that hard to me.

>kill his wife and bury her with his stuff so she can bring it to him.

It's really no big deal. Shield-maidens have been known to exist for centuries. The conjecture about her being an important military leader based on the viking equivalent of a chessboard is flimsy at best however.

>armor-piercing arrows
Read: Arrows
>a battle knife
Read: Knife
>a board game in her lap, or more of a war-planning game used to try out battle tactics and strategies
Read: a fucking board game
I really hate it when they add descriptors to words to make things seem cooler than they are. It's a woman warrior, fine, not everything in her tomb has to be 10th century tacticool.

Couldn't they find anything better to illustrate their article than some fucking Skyrim horned helmet?

that is a historically ignorant scenario you blockhead

I was trying to be nice but yeah some cultures would absolutely do that without hesitation

most of my fantasies are incredibly ignorant you jackass. Have you even heard my congolese colonization fantasy?

Of course, a woman in charge of the study would glorify it.

I'm surprised they haven't found proof that she had a Muslim lover yet

For a European in the 10th century, it is quite tall; that was basically taller than the average male back then.

>The examination of skeletons from different localities in Scandinavia reveals that the average height of the Vikings was a little less than that of today: men were about 5 ft 7-3/4 in.

Weren't Vikings from Denmark and Norway? Sweden was Norse but vikings they were not.

Girls are shit fighters when comapred to men and have always been. She was probably just a ruler who planned military campaigns and that wasn't too out of the ordinary.

Where are the "young priest forcibly being made a man during a viking raid by a vikingness" greentexts at?

Why did this thread have to be a weird anti-feminist /pol/ circlejerk? It had so much potential.

Reality is more important than your fantasies.

my fantasies disagree

In some cultures, when a man died, all his possesses were buried near him, and his wife was included as part of that.

>tfw monk
>vikings raid.
>try giving them gold
>they pin me down.
>a viking stands over me.
>mocks my god,
>suddenly I realize this is a girl viking,
>she steps on my balls and mocks me for my vows to god and christ,
>orders her men to tear off my robes
>I think I'm about to be soddomized by this sick demon.
>they hold me down harder,
>she begins to tease my balls with her boots.
>they're surprisingly soft,
>all the while she calls me a pussy for following the one true god and christ our savior, insisting I follow the path of her pagan deities.
>MUST RESIST
>THINK PURE THOUGHTS
>forces me to eat her out.
>jerks me off
>I cum and she kicks me in the face because she didn't say I could,
>has me thrown on the boat because she was impressed nothingless.
>I'm cooperative because I don't want to be sodomized.

>you will never be bent over a pew and pegged by a big strong amazonian viking princess
why even fucking live

>tfw no Norse princess warrior to shove her sweaty feety on my face and dick

Virgin spotted

There are arrows and arrows, retard

>Sweden
>Viking
No.

Really activates the almonds

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XX_male_syndrome

That's a trap.

Nonsense.

Women can be perfectly adequate fighters. Most of the male "warriors" were just farmers with spears anyway.

Can and can in general are different things. Some, a very small percentage of women can be adequate fighters. Overwhelming majority is both physically and mentally unsuited to warfare, that's why we have so few examples of female warriors in history.

Charlamagne was fuckin 6 feet tall

Pretty sure there are lots of women buried with weapons from the viking period and consensus is just that it indicates she was high status, not a warrior.

>aristocrat lady's burial site
>she must be IRL Xena!!!
what the actual fuck

Reminder that Loki gave birth to a horse once.

Fucking prove it liar

>be modern untrained weakling
>can't even throw a spear
>be triggered by 1k year old female warrior that would undoubtedly wipe their asses in a 1on1

All the butthurt ITT

This. Furnished burial doesn't imply anything in particular about what a person actually did in life. It's a means of competition between leading families when there is no clear source of legitimacy from above for them to appeal to, it develops in times of unclear social order as a means of aristocrats showing off. "Look how rich and powerful I am, I can afford to give all these weapons/slaves/animals/luxury goods/personal possessions to a dead person so they can lord it in the afterlife, I don't need to reuse them for later generations, I will just get new ones because I am a big pimp and can do that."

OP's article is clickbait. The Post, really?

I actually work at mcdonalds making 800k/year and I have a 13" dick faggot
also she wasn't a warrior, just an aristocrat probably

>wageslave trying to give free swedish woman shit
what a surprise

These weapons are a sign of great respect and honour.
Be sure that she did things to deserve it.

>those wizards came from the moon
yeah for her husband kek. Again, she was probably just some rando aristocrat that got buried with weapons purchased by her family.

yeah, it was for her husband that was not in the grave if that makes you feel better

Or she was just some random aristocrat

Lagertha?