Why doesn't this region interest me? It's so big but if you take out Russia and Poland it's nothing special

Why doesn't this region interest me? It's so big but if you take out Russia and Poland it's nothing special.

Those people resisted Ottoman conquest only for you cunts to forget them?

>resisted
Giving your wife to the local bey for five centuries and then attacking when the Ottoman empire is on it's death throes is not 'resist'. And
>Ottomans
Again- Poland.

It's far more interesting than western Europe. The constant clash of various civilizations is fascinating.
>Slavs, Germans, Romanians, Magyars, Turks, Albanians, Jews, Balts
>Austria-Hungary, Prussia, Russian empire, Ottoman empire, Swedish empire
>Hunnic, Magyar, Mongol, Turkish invasions
>Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Islam, Protestantism, various Gnostic and heretic proto-Prostestant sects like Bogomils and Hussites
>some of the largest castles in the world
>diverse nature, everything from the cold steppes through Carpathian and Caucasian mountains to warm Mediterranean coast
>some of the greatest battles in human history (Austerlitz, Stalingrad, Leningrad, Kursk, Grunwald, Poltava)
History of the Ireland-Britain-Benelux corridor is utterly boring in comparison.

>austria
>sweden
>eastern europe

Define "eastern" and "western" Europe :^)

>I never looked at the map: the post
90% of Habsburg empire was what is now considered Eastern Europe (Bohemia, Hungary, Slovakia, Romania, Croatia, Slovenia and Bosnia).
Sweden used to control huge chunks of the Baltics and had constant clashes with Russia and Poland. Poltava was a massive battle between Russia and Sweden that practically ended the Swedish empire as a great power.

vienna is located in western europe and austria was always considered western too

That's not a definition though.

That's because you're most likely western european.

Pre-Industralization England was irrelevant and not interesting. The tide changed when they got extremly rich, so they had resources to push their "Western European supremacy" and totally shit on Eastern Europe.

like said

Read my post again you cretin. Modern Austria =/= historical Austrian empire.

>vienna is located in western europe and austria was always considered western too
Austria is literally called "Eastern March" in German.

Those definitions have been shifting after WW1 and especially WW2. 100 years ago Prague was just as western as Vienna.

its history is much more interesting than history of the West

>Austria-Hungary, Ottoman empire, Swedish empire
Not Eastern European
>Prussia, Russian empire
Just proving my point :

>Austria-Hungary wasn't Eastern European
It literally had more Slavs than it had Germans.

>austrians aren't easte-

you dont see people call golden horde eastern european after they conquered russians
or turks european after they conquered greece

False equivalency if you know the history of Austria-Hungary.

Austria fought the Turks non-stop you fucking spazz.

Vienna used to have the second highest number of Czechs in the world, only after Prague. Read Mein Kampf, Hitler is constantly bitching about how "czechized" Vienna and the Habsburg empire was, it's one of the reasons why he preferred the German empire.
A fuckload of modern Austrians also have Czech surnames (Nowotny, Swoboda, Holub, Nowak, Kratky etc)

Wow... one successful state that the rest can LARP as

*yawn*

Because you don't know anything about its history

>austria was always considered western too
I fucking wish 20th century pop historians would finally kill themselves
Austria is "Österreich" in German language, which originally meant "Reich/Realm in the East". It was based upon the fact it was the most eastern place in Francia (as Brandenburg was Slavic back then) and the very end of Frankish realm and their culture - only Slavic tribals, Avars/Magyars and Greeks on the border.
Furthermore, there was no idea of "West Europe" and "East Europe". Today's definition is fluid and retarded to the point it's not really used by historians anywhere - "East" as seen by the "West" is Europe ruled by monolithic block of poor Communist Orthodox Slavshits - none of them really apply anymore, and it's inherently demeaning term given how Slavshits are perceived.
In the Middle Ages, there was generally only one division barely fitting modern definition - people following the Roman Papist religion and those following Greek religion. Their religion meant what culture block they adhered to - for an example, Poland, no matter how backward and le Slavic it is, since her conversion in 966 CE remained in Catholic culture - they behaved more like Germans than Russians, they fought like Germans rather than Russians, their laws were more German than Russian, and they maintained much tighter relationship with France and Germany than let's say, Roman Empire or Serbia, with things only changing AFTER Poland's political focus shifted to the agrarian Russian lands.

People really should stop this retarded revisionism and call everything east of Odern as inherently shit because Cold War lmao

The term Eastern Europe existed historically but it was more or less a synonym of "Russian lands". So modern Ukraine, Russia and Belarus. Bohemia or Hungary were not considered eastern.

>for an example, Poland, no matter how backward and le Slavic it is,
fuck off
when german emperor visited poland in 1000 to pay respects to saint killed by prussians he shat himself out of shock seeing how much gold and silver they had and polish duke made such an good impression that emperor told him that he should be the one to become the ruler of all slavdom and was willing to help him with this plan until he was poisoned because his fellow germans envied on how much gold he received in gift from "le backwards slavs"

>teutonics
muh prussia
czechs republic
>muh hussites
hungary
>muh mohacs
balkans
>muh we wuz oppressed by ottomans
you're right

lithuanians were the steppeniggers all along?

LITHUANIAN PRIDE WORLDWIDE :-DDD

That's because you live in western Europe/America etc. I am a Pole, so this region is the most interesting one for me, western history is pretty bland and uninteresting for me. I find history of Teutons (so Prussia basically) very interesting, as it affected my country majorly and maybe was one of the reasons of its fall.
>inb4 le slavshit pole sayin dat germanz killd pooland and fak germans
No, we pretty much fucked ourselves then, I can blame Germans for a lot of things, but this one was just incompetency of our nobles, which were the ones that really governed in our """monarchy""" after death of last Jagiellon.

Although I have to say some of the regions seem really irrelevant for some reason, for example Belarus. You'd think that I would know some things about neighbouring country, but I have no idea what happened/happens here

Nope, I think that Pole will be interested in the history of his Western overlords. Well, you just proved my point with your German bullshit.

Stop it rite there u fegit
We wuz Commonwealths and shirt

>he doesn't know about the croatian military frontier

>mfw there's a literal jungle in bosnia and herzegovina

t. that butthurt frenchfag

>sitting in a wooden box makes you invincible

Was it really that simple?

Eastern history is left out in the Western education because you guys are too focused on sucking nigger cock and because of Cold War propaganda leftovers

You need metal vaginas to project lead at your opponents.

But how effective were early 1400's firearms really? I just have trouble understanding how putting dude with crossbows and early firearms in a wagon could consistently beat the heck out of forces many times their size.

The moravian warrior halted the Ottoman advance

>I just have trouble understanding how putting dude with crossbows and early firearms in a wagon could consistently beat the heck out of forces many times their size.
Because by that time cavalry was center of armed forces and the firearms were so rare by this time that they had a solid effect on the enemy.

The Cold war made everything in behind the curtain look bland. That's why lots of people think all the Slavic countries arr just versions of the subhuman Russians.

>he doesn't even know about the constant uprisings by Balkan natives against the Ottomans either