Hygiene in Ancient times

Did women shave in ancient/medieval times?

Did they shave pussy and legs?

My understanding is that in Medieval Europe only some of the wealthy and prostitutes did so.

Women weren't shaving as late as the 1980s so I doubt they were doing it in the middle ages.

Are you mad? Of course women were shaving heir legs, moustaches and armpits and trimming their eyebrows and pubes WAY before 1980.

Nah not really, women were walking around with hairy armpits and beavers in the 80s.

>mustaches
>women
Turk spotted.

From wikipedia:
According to the Oxford Companion to the Body, in the 1450s public women[where?] would shave their pubic hair for personal hygiene and to combat pubic lice and would then don a merkin or pubic wig where their public line of work would require so.[9][10] In some Middle Eastern societies, removal of female body hair has been considered proper hygiene, mandatated by local customs, for many centuries.[11] Muslim teaching includes Islamic hygienical jurisprudence in which pubic and armpit hair must be pulled out or shaven to be considered as Sunnah. Trimming is taught to be considered acceptable.[12] Evidence of pubic hair removal in ancient India is thought to date back to 4000 to 3000 BC.[13] According to ethnologist F. Fawcett, writing in 1901, he had observed the removal of body hair, including pubic hair about the vulva, as a custom of women from the Hindu Nair caste.[14]

THICC

Yeah. The Romans plucked their body hair. The Persians waxed. And the razor has been around since the bronze age.

Hairy armpits were a statement in the 80s.

>From wikipedia:
Stopped reading there, thanks for the warning.

My mother had them hairy and she wasn't some leftist hippie punk.

probably a turk

German-American.

As opposed to your ass?

Polyneisan women and men would pluck their hair.

Also related question how did ancient and medieval prostitutes manage birth control? Given how deadly pregnancy was it seems crazy to imagine it would only be the pull out method

Does someone have the text written by some Muslim hairdresser that became popular among the crusader lords who wanted their wives pubic hair shaved?

I remember reading an excerpt from some mad Frankish knight's journals where he makes a Muslim shave his balls because he saw him doing it at a bathhouse.

Hol up barbers did even that?

I think it was just a random Muslim dude.

I know Romans are said to have had some type of plant that served as birth control that apparently went extinct from over use.

But that might just be a history channel meme

Asian people never shave their genital area.

A lot of them had kids. Nunneries tended to double as orphan drops, and postitutes were frequent users of the service.

Kek

According to Ovid, yes, it seems women circa 00 shaved their legs (but not their pussy iirc).

Nope, this is true. Silphium or its resin, laser. It was some kind of fennel apparently. It grew only in an extremely restricted range of Cyrenaica, could not be cultivated, and was in high demand as an aphrodisiac, abortifacient, cure-all, culinary herb, etc. It went extinct by the imperial period and was replaced by imported substitutes from the east; apparently the last stalk grown in Cyrenaica was given to the emperor Nero as a curiosity.

Also, its seeds were heart shaped and may have led to the association between that shape and the concept of love. Pic related, it's a Cyrenaic coin depicting a silphium seed.

Brazilian amerindians shaved entirely. In fact the Portuguese noted that the women walked around naked and shaved, not minding it at all.

There was a period in Ancient Egypt when both men and women in the upper classes shaved all of their hair (including their heads). I suppose that makes sense in a super hot climate.

Well it's not like amerindians have a lot to shave.

>History is linear and progressive

Retard

Stop posting pics of this tranny.

Sounds like it would make a great skit desu senpai.

Where do these presumptuous assholes come from
>ur probly dis he he he
I'm not going to assume