What's the deal with Iceland?

It's so irrelevant i know virtually nothing about it. It was colonized by Vikings (?), then it used to be a Danish colony for 700 years or so, then Allies occupied it during WW2, and then independence. That's it. Oh and thin hair chin man lives there.

Let's talk about Iceland.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianization_of_Iceland
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Was there for about 2 weeks. Very beautiful country and some of the friendliest people I ever met. The country side really made me feel like it was an alien planet.

If you get a chance, i highly recommend a trip there.

Also, Iceland was almost certainly never pagan in any significant degree. Paganism revival is really just starting on the island.

It had some sort of democracy
Norwegian dissenters fled there to escape persecution

It's an island of spectacular visual sights and equally spectacular bankruptcy.

Icelander here, Iceland was founded by a group of brave freedom-fighters in Norway who wanted to escape government tyranny, and sailed to Iceland to build colonies, and when around 20 thousand people has settled, created a prosperous anarcho-capitalist republic that lasted for over 300 years. During this time, Iceland became the most prosperous nation in Europe, with low taxes enriching the population, the discovery and colonization of the New World providing a wealth of furs and tusks for trading, and a cultural golden age unrivalled in 12th-13th-century Europe with the creation of the Sagas and the codification of law.
Unfortunately, in the mid-1200s the Norwegian tyrant Hákon IV gamli sent his men to murder the great chiefs and writers of Iceland, and brought the country to near-ruin. Later on the Danes inherited the country, and being Danes, proceeded to ruin the nation like they do with everything they touch. They put on trade monopolies, allowed foreigners to plunder the wealth of Iceland's shores, levied oppressive taxes on the populace in a time of declining yields, and were infamous for their tyranny in the country, slaughtering monks, old men and young boys without trial simply for not agreeing with the Danish crown. Icelanders were viewed as subhuman and were not allowed to hold offices in Denmark, while Danes who had never seen Iceland were given the highest offices in the country. The Danish would steal most of the Icelandic sagas from their homes and take them to their capital, where they burned over a third of them along with their capital. Eventually, through the great struggle and willpower of the Icelandic people, they managed to get the country back on track to improvement, thanks in part to Jörgen Jörgensen's "invasion" of Iceland, and so Jón Sigurðsson, the greatest and most noble man to ever live, went to Denmark and demanded a restoration of Iceland's rights, utterly humiliating the Danes.

In 1874, the Danish Kind would visit Iceland for the first time, and was so impressed by the country and horrified by the realization of his own Danish inferiority that he gave us our first constitution. Thirty years later, Hannes Hafstein decided to take back the last vestiges of Danish power in Iceland and took the Ministry of Iceland from the swindlers and criminals of Denmark, turning it into the Prime ministry and the country into the Kingdom of Iceland in 1918. The King of Denmark was so honoured that he named the future queen Þórhildur (an Icelandic name) as gratitude.
Eventually, though, the spirit of freedom of the Icelandic people could not be suppressed. When the Danish King bent over for Uncle Adolf's big Bavarian bratwurst, everyone decided it was time to ditch him and so voted for a new republic to be established. The new Republic spread prosperity over the country, built more roads and ports in a year than the Danish had in 550 years of ruling, gave power back to the Icelandic people, and most importantly, banned niggers. Unfortunately, in 1960 the Yanks threw a fit and demanded that we open the gates to mutliculturalism and gave them a place where they could store their disgusting race-mixed army. With no way to defend ourselves we agreed, building a fence around the military area and making the Yanks pay for it. The military base would prove the main source of wealth for Iceland in the next years, because the workers realized that the Yanks were so bad at taking inventory that they could steal half their supplies and get away with it.
After that Iceland became just like most other first-world countries, with Jón Baldvin freeing the Baltics single-handedly and the (((bankers))) crashing the economy. Iceland currently has the second-highest salaries in Europe.

>Iceland was almost certainly never pagan in any significant degree
They were pagan for the first few centuries of settlement. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianization_of_Iceland

nigger i'm also an icelander and what the fuck

Clearly you never took history

saga er fyrir fagga

I honestly thought you were memeing with names like Jörgen Jörgensen and I thought Jón was referencing the band Sigur Ros. I feel like my name is really inadequate now

How big are your chins guys.

bigger than yo dick

t. málabrautarbplebbi

opin braut nigga

Iceland is a nation of heroes. They btfo the Anglo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

Have you ever met thcm?

>building a fence around the military area and making the Yanks pay for it.
kek

I've been there too and the place just feels fucking ugly to me. There's literally no trees anywhere, just Mordor-tier landscape, desolate land full of volcanoes, wind and cold. On top of that, the weather is just shit, constant grey steel sky and rain. Reykjavik is a neat little town but it's just that, a town. You can see everything it has to offer in a single day, not to mention outside of the historical center it's just commieblocks everywhere. I can't actually imagine living there, I'd probably blow my brains out due to boredom and shit weather.

Thin

Gaelic monks lived in Iceland before Scandis ever showed up

>because
loose evidence tho but probably. Just imagine being a lone hermit alone on the island.

>atvinnuleysisbraut

They believe in faerie folk and fortune tellers. They literally have laws that say you have to build roads outside of faerie areas as to not disturb them.

Iceland is essentially a colony of Norwegian rejects who've been we wuzzing hard ever since
>WE WUZ SAGAS N SHIEET
>WE WUZ VIKINGS N SHIEEET
>WE WUZ BANKRUPT N SHIEEEEET