What are some of your favorite historical films and tv shows Veeky Forums? One point for enjoyment, two for accuracy...

What are some of your favorite historical films and tv shows Veeky Forums? One point for enjoyment, two for accuracy, three for casting and five for both.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IpwY42NsWqc
youtube.com/watch?v=QRuJAUIn-2M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The master piece

Five stars for all three.

Gangs of New York, There Will Be Blood and The Assassination of Jesse James.
Amadeus is also pretty great.
I like A-list stars, sue me.

this triggers me every single fucking time

>being butthurt over the greatest empire to ever exist
stay mad kiddo

It would all be good if Byzantium didn't have a big brother up north ...

I agree, we should be glad that it happened, rather than caring too much about the unremarkable placeholder that replaced it.

>over the greatest cockroach infestation to ever exist
Fixed that for you m8, the greatest empire to ever exist would be the British Empire.

it depends on what you mean by "great". If we are talking about "great" as in "contributing the most to human civilization" i think there is another one ...

You know what they say, woulda, shoulda coulda.

imo the Russian empire was the most "christian" of christian empires. They did a lot of things out of morality rather than practical thought, e.g. giving away all of europe after marching through it and conquering Paris. Or for example tsar nicholas II taking personal control of the army during ww1 to selflessly take the blame for the ww1 failures, but it turned out to be a huge mistake. I don't think anyone can argue that Russian tsars were politically immoral, but they were def imprudent because of that. If they could tune that down a bit, Russian Empire would control Europe at this point imo.

1. Kingdom of Heaven
2. Arn – Tempelriddaren
3. La Gerusalemme liberata
4. Knightfall

desu Admiral is a great film about Admiral Kolchak. Historically fairly accurate.

Knightfall isn't even out yet, and it's history channel so it's going to be as historically accurate as cavalier helmets in Vikings

>muh savior of Russia
>muh french baguette and sea of champagne
>muh an horde of evil communist cockroaches
No

commie detected

In my opinion your opinions have no basis in fact.

Nah.

close enough, you still need to be locked up in St Peter and Paul's

If they were great they wouldn't have been rekt'd like in pic related

>all these buttmad balkanlars

This board i filled with the proud shitposters of the different Oghuz tribes, you failed crossposting kul.

Get off our territory or pay the devşirme.

>poland was then buttraped for the next several centuries
Lol. Looks like the vengeance of the Sultan always comes back in the end.

Dis gon be good.

why is Iceland green? The turks never controlled Iceland.

It's really funny how russian propaganda always depicts the turks surrendering to them when in fact the turks surrendered to the romanians; makes you wonder how shit were the russians if they couldn't crush a dying empire like the Ottoman one

The russians weren't that different than the ottomans in the 19th century.

Hornblower and sharpe

>BEGONE THOT

To piss people off, I'm disappointed they don't colour Ireland in too because of the slave raids there

We saved your joke state from the Russians and we dissolved it when the joke was no longer funny.
You have no power here, gavat.
Now, answer my question - why were the Armeniac bastards you call 'the different Oghuz tribes' incapable of ever building something better than Hagia Sophia?

Or do you expect anyone to care about the pathetic Arab plaques and needledick minarets?

Nothing ever happens on that fish rock, so when a Turk ship came and stole some people it became a national legend or some stupid shit.

That was shit. And ai wanted to like it.

On a similiar note, don't watch 1911 (plot: Chinese revolution).

A&E had a Napoleon miniseries. The battles were weak, but it focused more on his personal life so I guess that can excuse it.

>and we dissolved it when the joke was no longer funny
And we took our nation back inch by inch blowing you gayreek wh*Te shits eternally the fuck out

I'm not a commie, but I did find it pretty funny how the reds were depicted as having really bad manners. Sure, they executed people too, but was spitting and leering all the time also something associated with them?

commies were mostly lower class people, so manners weren't of high priority in them.

youtube.com/watch?v=IpwY42NsWqc
City of Life and Death (also known as 'Nanjing! Nanjing!')

Gladiator unironically.

>ctrl+f
>0 results for The Longest Day

Philistines.

What's the rifle on the left? Looks like a civi .22 lol

Steyr Mannlicher-Schoenauer according to IMFDB

Technically violating the 25 year rule but a guilty pleasure of mine's

Thanks it's a nice looking gun

Amadeus. Oh I know it's inaccurate, but the movie is a masterpiece.

>I am fed to the teeth with elevated themes! Old dead legends! Why must we go on forever writing about gods and legends?
>Because they do. They go on forever. Or at least what they represent. The eternal in us. Opera is here to enoble us. You and me, just the same as His Majesty.

Útlaginn. I fucking love this film adaptation of the Gísla Saga, and everyone I've ever shown it to has found it boring as fuck. I don't care how boring it is, or how historically inaccurate it is, I fucking love this movie.

>pic related
>Waterloo
>Stalingrad (the German one)
>Cross of Iron
>Band of Brothers
>Zulu
>The First Weaboo
>Generation War
>Enemy at the Gates

Blows my mind how much heart they put into this

>Cross of Iron
Mah fucking nigga, great movie. The book I'm reading right now is actually titled after a quote from the movie.
Personal favourite would be Battle of Britain (1969), if you're a fan of aviation this is a must watch. I also recommend watching Assembly (2007), this is one of the few fantastic movies released by China.

Talk about accuracy... Since when the Imperial Army had choreographers, giant drums and shit, and organized festivals in the battlefield?

Such a sick beat only war criminals could produce.

you could literally stare at this image for 3 hours and receive the same amount of enjoyment

>movies women will never understand

>Útlaginn
Minn maður

Í sama dúr, Brennu-Njálssaga frá 1981

Iove this one

>It's a Sharpe "destroys the Death Star" episode
>It's a Sharpe "acquires his Stand" episode
>It's a Sharpe "defeats the Iron Sheik at Madison Square Garden for the WWF World Title" episode

But in seriousness, the Russian version of War & Peace from the late 60's is the best adaptation of the book.

Assembly
The Beast of War
El Cid
The Emperor's Shadow (1996)
Cross of Iron

>John Adams
I enjoyed the first half with the Revolution. When it gets to statecraft, I start to lose interest.
>Rome
Criminally cut short. Game of Thrones before Game of Thrones.
>Band of Brothers
The best WWII show ever?
>Enemy at the Gates
Good to see the Soviets represented, even though they wrecked every country they liberated.
>Dunkirk
>The Last Samurai
Highly fictionalized account of the Satsuma Rebellion
>The Longest Day
Ambitious D-Day movie. Black and white, but pretty good.
>A Bridge Too Far
Covers Operation Market Garden
>Patton
Quotable portrait of a mad man
>Full Metal Jacket/Platoon/Apocalypse Now
I can rewatch these any time.

The Desert Fox

Well Soviets were one of the two main European aggressors so it's understandable their version of liberation doesn't involve actual liberation.

>Accuracy
>Zulu
It's about as accurate as Brave Heart, m8. Historical films are usually all shit, now historically significant films like pic related are a bit different, and are actually interesting in themselves.

>The book was written in late 1961 and into early 1962, during the first year of the Kennedy administration, reflecting some of the events of that era. In November 1961, President John F. Kennedy accepted the resignation of vociferously anti-Communist General Edwin Walker who was indoctrinating the troops under his command with personal political opinions and had described former President Harry S. Truman, former United States Secretary of State Dean Acheson, former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt and other recent still-active public figures as Communist sympathizers.[3] Although no longer in uniform, Walker continued to be in the news as he attempted to run for Governor of Texas and made speeches promoting strongly right-wing views. In the film version of Seven Days in May, Fredric March, portraying the narrative's fictional President Jordan Lyman, mentions General Walker as one of the "false prophets" who were offering themselves to the public as leaders. (Accused John F. Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald purportedly fired rifle shots into the home of General Walker in April 1963.[4])

>As they collaborated on the novel, Knebel and Bailey, who were primarily political journalists and columnists, also conducted interviews with another controversial military commander, the newly appointed Air Force Chief of Staff, Curtis LeMay, an advocate of preventive first-strike nuclear option.

But here is the most interesting bit
>President Kennedy had read Seven Days in May shortly after its publication and believed the scenario as described could actually occur in the United States. According to Frankenheimer in his director's commentary, production of the film received encouragement and assistance from Kennedy through White House Press Secretary Pierre Salinger, who conveyed to Frankenheimer Kennedy's wish that the film be produced and that, although the Pentagon did not want the film made, the President would arrange to be visiting Hyannis Port for a weekend when the film needed to shoot outside the White House.

Another classic by Sergei Eisenstein that is especially interesting if you want to delve into the culture of the Soviet Union and it's general propoganda

Yet another classic

I don't want to keep writing about war.
If the movie is about some old timey expedition there's a chance it's actually great.

Danger UXB an old 80s series about the people who dealt with unexplded bombs in WW2 London is good. You will learn a lot about how different bombs were defused and its not a bad drama.

youtube.com/watch?v=QRuJAUIn-2M

Oh yeah, that French miniserie
Battles are utter shit (worse than LARPing reenactment), acotor who plays Nappy is old from the beginning and doesnt look like him at all, but I got to say it gives a great overview on Napoleon's life

But this one is great.

And today you can't even control mountain shepherd's and half of your population considers the other half retarded. Turkey boasts how they could take Greece in three days if it came to a new war, but then spend weeks in a pingpong match with ISIS over a minor city in Syria. Turks talk big when they're actually carrying the smallest gun.

>young michael caine all over the posters and promotional material
>he's a minor side character that barely gets any screentime

As for the question, the Russian made War And Peace would be the absolute best if it weren't for the director casting himself to play the part of Pierre. Every other decision is pretty much perfect, but Bondarchuk is way too old fat, swarthy and frankly out of place for the part. The role calls for someone who's not a supermodel of course, but he's a bit too much and it comes across as a weird example of himself playing his self-insert because he's the director and can get away with it