Why did hats fell out of fashion in Europe/America?

Why did hats fell out of fashion in Europe/America?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B-m9A8mY-U0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It didn`t

1960's

Boomers ruined everything.

Meme answer.
>JFK didn't wear a hat to his inauguration in 1961 and they suddenly became uncool.

Real answer.
>Hats went into decline after WWII and had finally died out ~20 years later.

Also, JFK literally wore a to the inauguration and only briefly took it off.

People still wear all sorts of hats:
Beanies if you smoke weed
Fedoras if you are a virgin
Baseball hats if you are a redneck
Trucker hats if you are a fukboi
Flat cap if you are a hipster
Military cap if you are a lesbian
Cowboy hat if you are from texas
Pith Helmet if you are colonizing
Fez if you are Will Ferrell

wouldn't baseball hats also qualify for inner-city white bois?

Boomers were in their 20s at most.

People started using umbrellas

>inner-city
>white
You've never been to America.

Curved snapback if you're white
Flat brim fitted if you're a nigger/spic

> Pith Helmet if you are colonising
Ahh... colonising, my favourite thing to do on Fridays.

hats are worn by real white people

indeed

You're asking why, not when or how.

The requirement that one wear a hat whenever outdoors to have a complete outfit began to fall away in the 1950s, when people began driving more, and hats got in the way.

This is also when the Trilby arose as an alternative to the fedora, as something less in the way, but a token hat just to be a hat. I serves no practical purpose.

Later on, as people became aware of the cancer-causing effects of sun, various brimmed hats have shown up here & there, but it's patchy.

The beanie will never die as a cold weather hat.

The only non-warm, non-brimmed thing really popular seems to be the baseball cap for children and retards, because it's cheap and everyone gives them away with their advertising on them.

The hats that you are referring to fell out of fashion because of cars.

People didn't want to be mistaken for atheists.

Hats are actually going back in fashion. I often see young men wearing hats (with an unfitting effeminate skinny jean nu-male aesthetic)

>Baseball hats if you are a redneck
Or you're a mexican worker.

>when you know everyone is judging you

I got into wearing hats almost a decade ago, back when the revival of brimmed hats was starting to become more apparent. I'm left with the impression that while more people now wear brimmed hats (felt, wool, straw, canvas, etc), especially fedora varieties in the cities, this 21st century hat revival may be losing steam, at the moment. Already in the early 2010s, negative stereotypes about fedora-wearers (particularly the narrow-brimmed trilby variants) came about, and these perceptions haven't died down, themselves. If anything, the negative stereotypes of dress hats are hampering the revival movement, for now. I am a Christian, for the record, and not an atheist, the latter of which most of the stereotypes seem directed at.

However, in my experience, people make nice remarks about it if I'm wearing one of my hats and dressed smart casual/business casual. You could also chose to wear a suit with it, which is a very fitting and the original common style, or even a t-shirt and jeans, if you'd like. My advice is to wear a hat if you like it, and do not worry if it is regarded as fashionable. One issue that may concern you is if it is considered appropriate or inappropriate to wear a certain type of hat at your workplace. You could always just put it back on in the car, if you work in a job that requires something else, or maybe keep it around your desk if you have one, and remain hatless until the end of the day.

did they?

Pretty much all chavs still wear caps on town, if not they rock a bucket hat or hoodie. I'd say it's only people with jobs that no longer wear hats.

Burgeois egalitarianism seeks to destroy marks of status. Hats of various shapes were previously used to mark allegiance to crafts, guilds, societies, or religious groups, even if general dress was the same - so for instance in XIXth century you had both Jews and gentiles wearing similar patterns of suit, but Jews still kept their traditional headgear. It was a last vestige of diversified society.

Hats don't work well in movies since they obscure actors' faces and make it harder to tell them apart, unless the headgear is distinctive and different for each actor. Same reason why they never wear helmets in war movies or medieval movies. Obviously fashion follows movies.

Lastly, cars. People walk around much less and don't need headgear as much.

Negative sterotypes about "fedoras" (usually picturing Trilbys) are strong on Veeky Forums, but anywhere else?

Unironically global warming.

I only ever see trilbys in ads featuring a hip black guy from Seattle

why would you wear a hat anyway?
greeks and romans would only wear hats when traveling, it wasn't ever part of some pointless everyday dress code. hats were mostly an asiatic fashion, not a western one.
besides, they mess up your hair.

> when traveling

You mean, like, walking outdoors?

Like, in the sun and rain?

Yeah, that never happens in real life.

>Why did hats fell out of fashion in Europe/America?

Better question is why everything was so much better in fashion and style the first half of the 20th century. youtube.com/watch?v=B-m9A8mY-U0

Seems like everything just went to shit after the 60's. Fucking boomers and their new age hippie crap.

It's not boomers that ruined anything. Adults in the 50s and early 60s kinda took things into ridiculous territory with Trilbys, suit jackets cut theatrically, bizarre high fashion & such. What you think of as "hippie" crap was a return to earlier basic practical stuff, but without understanding the purposes much. It was the chaos that comes from a downfall. It's up to people today to find their own way: to think about why they wear clothes, then choose them accordingly.

The fedora meme literally stated on reddit, so there

no i mean going from one city to the next dozens of miles away, not going to the market to pick up some groceries

People started being able to wash their hair on a regular basis.

>romans/greeks wearing hats
????

Automobiles. Why wear a hat when you're in the car for 90% of your commute?

I think you mean "started".

Ok, started there, but is it still alive there?

You can get significant skin damage in 15 minutes of direct sun. You can get wet in 30 seconds or rain.

Not everyone lives in Arizona, user.

That’s a really nice hat. Why were the Greeks so effay?

I knew an old guy who worked in the hat industry in the 50's. He told me it was Kennedy who put hats out of style in that he became an effective fashion model for the country with his charisma and youthful looks.

>Why did hats fell out of fashion in Europe/America?
Hollywood began setting the trends and it's too hot in LA for hats.

So whenever they adapted a Raymond Chandler story set in LA, they should have been hatless?

Or anywhere that the sun reaches?

The Mexican workers I see usually wear something like this if they're out in the sun much.

Mexicans figured this out long ago.

I wouldn't know, I don't go there.