Find a flaw

Find a flaw.

>No Achilleus death
Perhaps not a flaw but it'd add to the tragedy theme IMO

more than half of it is missing.
including

The Catalog of the Ships

While about as impressive as recalling the digits of pi, it really is very dull and boring.

The Iliad is still brilliant in its storytelling. It's so bizarre that a 3,000 year old epic has stronger characterization and a deeper plot than most films today. The Odyssey is pretty good, especially with its nonlinear plot, but meh. Not as good.
That's not missing, it's another set of epics.

>That's not missing, it's another set of epics.
Yes it is missing, and it'd fit better into the Iliad in addition to the Odyssey by reinforcing the deeper meaning of the epic

Honestly, book 24 of the Odyssey sucks, and may be a later addition.

Also, that part in Chapter 11 where all the random heroes show up, like Hercules, reads like arbitrary cameos of popular characters.

It's missing, but it was never posited as being by the same set of poets/Homer. It didn't survive, likely because it wasn't as good.

chariots

hektors chraiot BTFO teh entire akhaian army

both were written by Homer. The aeneid wasn't written by him, hoever

I can't get into Pope's translation of the Iliad.

Does it read better in prose?

Yeah, I read the Butler translation, and that's Prose.
When you're dealing with 2 obstacles with Pope, more complex structure than contemporary English often offers, and the fact that you're attempting to render into verse an archaic poem.

If you want to read the Iliad in verse, learn Homeric Greek.

poser. the fitzgerald is literally perfect

Is Fitzgerald the translation that goes and replaces Homeric stock phrases with different wording to break up the Tedium? Suck my dick, I want to read about the Rosy-Fingered Dawn every time it comes up.

It's the rap version, you illiterate weeb poser. Eat more shit out of some faggots asshole since you like a translation over two decades old. Oh, no, excuse me, you like the 3000 year old ancient greek spoken off of the western shore of the aegean sea because youre a fucking poser whose never even read it in its original prose or understood what it was talking about.

>It's the rap version
What? Like Rhapsodic, or like Rap music? That's retarded.
>since you like a translation over two decades old
If I were being pretentious, wouldn't I prefer the Pope verse translation over a Prose one?

If you were pretentious you'd start raving about how great the odler versions are, which is what you're doing. The rap version combines the originial poetry with a syllabic-based beat which sounds incredible and fully explores the text. It is superior to your ancient greek translation

>It is superior to your ancient greek translation
I'm saying Butler is better than Pope, because it's easily understandable. If you like a Rap version, read it, that's fine. I'm not, because it sounds as inane as that emoji Shakespeare

>it sounds as inane as that emoji Shakespeare
to a pleb who can't appreciate art and dismisses it because hes a brainlet that makes illogical similes, sure they might think that. You have bad taste btw

You're doing a disservice by calling it a Rap version. You make it sound like it's a modern thug interpretation of the source, when it's just a more frenetic Blank Verse version.
I read it, and it's fine. It's still not what I'm looking for, but everyone has different tastes

>read it, and it's fine
It's actually a masterpiece, if you read just half of it you'd know that.
>a disservice
I'm actually not, if anything you are by slandering it and calling it inane and
>just more frenetic
and clipping on more buzzwords that don't capture a third of just calling it a rap version does
>make it sound like a modern thug interpretation
Hektor and all the other Greeks were thugs in every sense of the word, I doubt you've ever even finished it

I obviously haven't finished it, I just skimmed to see what you were talking about. I'll put it on my backlog, but I'm not going to reread the Iliad in 5 minutes.
Stop being upset that I prefer another version than you.

>starting with Pope
Fagles is GOAT.

Im more upset that you're full of shit and wont admit it

I admitted it was fine when I looked into it. You didn't properly explain yourself. Stop being butthurt.

It's not like I said the Butler version was the definitive version, I just said it's more understandable than Pope's